Author Topic: SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX  (Read 3814 times)

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Accord
SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
Hi all,

I will be moving to Toronto for my education and planning to get a new car with it.

After careful thought and research it came down to either Ford Edge SEL 2015/16 or Acura TLX  V6 AWD 2015.

They come in about the same price but not sure what should I get.

What I am looking for in a car are:
1. Navi
2. Leather Seat
3. Space
4. Key less entry
5. Xenon/LED light
6. Good Sound System is a plus.

I know that all of you will say:
1. Dude you are not comparing apple to apple - one is an SUV and the other one is a sedan. I know and I would like to hear from you.
2. Get a lexus RX! --> got this a lot but I dont like the exterior and interior of this RX.

Thanks!!!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:45:19 am »
Acura.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:50:44 am »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:34 am »
Take the TTC  ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:46:29 am »
Acura.

why, please?

Resale/retained value (although Edges don't seem to be too bad at that either)...no turbos (though you can still get the 3.5 V6 in those years)...and most importantly, he's a GM salesman...automatic hate-on for Fords.  :nono: ;D  How about a new Blazer then?  The RS model looks really nice. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:04 am »
Why the hell do you need (or want) a giant blob of an SUV?  You're the driver - how much space do you need?  I mean, if you're hauling around a pack of German Shepherds wherever you go, get the facking Ford.  Otherwise get the Acura. The TLX is a bit long in the tooth, but remains a handsome and capable sedan with a premium-ish look and feel.  Why get the Acura?  Better looking, better handling, better gas mileage.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:22 am »
Acura.

why, please?

Resale/retained value (although Edges don't seem to be too bad at that either)...no turbos (though you can still get the 3.5 V6 in those years)...and most importantly, he's a GM salesman...automatic hate-on for Fords.  :nono: ;D  How about a new Blazer then?  The RS model looks really nice.

Thanks for the input but dont think that blazer will hit my budget... ford’s 3.5L is such a gas guzzler so better get the 2.0T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:04:19 am »
Why the hell do you need (or want) a giant blob of an SUV?  You're the driver - how much space do you need?  I mean, if you're hauling around a pack of German Shepherds wherever you go, get the facking Ford.  Otherwise get the Acura. The TLX is a bit long in the tooth, but remains a handsome and capable sedan with a premium-ish look and feel.  Why get the Acura?  Better looking, better handling, better gas mileage.

Ive been accustomed to an SUV. Been driving Cx5 and X3 for the past 3 years. I was trying the new 5 series and it is SMALL for me.

Acura seems nice, love all the feature but thinking about the snow etc so....

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:05:04 am »
Take the TTC  ;D
Unfortunately i will be in Sauga/Burlington area

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:33 am »

Ive been accustomed to an SUV. Been driving Cx5 and X3 for the past 3 years. I was trying the new 5 series and it is SMALL for me.

Acura comes in AWD - what worries you about the snow?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 09:34:26 am »
Take the TTC  ;D

That's not Toronto ;D

I guess you are not a poor student than
If you have to travell the highway get a car that has a green plate so you can use the HOV lanes

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:03:29 am »
Out of all the shapeless CUV blobs out there, why the Ford Edge??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 11:09:31 am »
Have you driven either? As you say, they're not apples to apples, so after trying both you'll probably know pretty quick which you prefer. I test drove an Edge a few years ago (I don't remember if it was a 2.0T or 3.5) and found it fine. Just fine, not great. But again, there are SO many other options in this segment. I guess the Edge may win on price?

While we're throwing out random cars, and since you're torn between a Japanese sport sedan and a Domestic CUV, why not split the difference? Toyota Venza. Those are great cars.

Also, one thing to consider with the TLX (assuming you're looking at the SH-AWD version): with earlier models (up to the refresh in 2018) there was widespread criticism about the honda 9-speed transmission -- jerky shifts, etc. Not sure how bad it really was, just something to look out for.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 11:17:15 am »
Take the TTC  ;D

That's not Toronto ;D

I guess you are not a poor student than
If you have to travell the highway get a car that has a green plate so you can use the HOV lanes

HOV Is the carpool lane is it?

Not poor poor but thrifty... :)

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 11:21:12 am »
Have you driven either? As you say, they're not apples to apples, so after trying both you'll probably know pretty quick which you prefer. I test drove an Edge a few years ago (I don't remember if it was a 2.0T or 3.5) and found it fine. Just fine, not great. But again, there are SO many other options in this segment. I guess the Edge may win on price?

While we're throwing out random cars, and since you're torn between a Japanese sport sedan and a Domestic CUV, why not split the difference? Toyota Venza. Those are great cars.

Also, one thing to consider with the TLX (assuming you're looking at the SH-AWD version): with earlier models (up to the refresh in 2018) there was widespread criticism about the honda 9-speed transmission -- jerky shifts, etc. Not sure how bad it really was, just something to look out for.

Edge has the space and a fusion’s dashboard that I preferred. Price-wise it is also a good consideration.

Was thinking older model MDX 13-14 but i might go with TLX due to the gas consumption.

Venza, for me, is super ugly... sorry but not a toyota fan despite their damn good reliability.

Was thinking Taurus as well, but I guess it will be too old for me, I am 35.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:39 am »
Out of all the shapeless CUV blobs out there, why the Ford Edge??
Price and design.. any other thought? Checked chevy and Buick and they had a goodbye from the first glance from me.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:23:17 am »

SUV AWD is better in snow than Sedan AWD no?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:10 am »

Edge has the space and a fusion’s dashboard that I preferred. Price-wise it is also a good consideration.

Was thinking older model MDX 13-14 but i might go with TLX due to the gas consumption.

Venza, for me, is super ugly... sorry but not a toyota fan despite their damn good reliability.

Taurus SHO, make most cars on the road look ridiculous, looks like a cop car, should be a decent buy.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 11:29:02 am »

SUV AWD is better in snow than Sedan AWD no?

Why ?
And why would you need AWD in Oakville ?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:40 am »

Fair enough, we like what we like. You won't really go wrong with an Edge. FYI Taurus is huge on the outside yet small on the inside. Re: fuel economy, don't forget nearly all Acura's require Premium fuel and the Edge does not, so actual running costs probably similar.