Author Topic: New Tires for the R  (Read 19903 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: New Tires for the R
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »
I'm getting a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s installed either tomorrow or Thursday.  I was literally going to pull the trigger on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ about $150/tire more  but the speedshop/detailing owner said he would love to take my money on the Michelins but I really owe it to myself to try a set of the Firestones.  Firestones on an Audi?  Who ever heard of such a thing?  He said that the big blocky shoulders and tread pattern and other features of the tire are more suited for predominant track day use while not being too much of a compromise for DD use.

I will report!

I think you'll like them.  Lots of IS-F guys run them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 07:27:14 am »
Well, something different for sure.  Nothing ventured and all that....

Still interested to hear what JohnyMac has to say about his Firestones.  It is his thread!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 10:02:17 am »
He said that the big blocky shoulders and tread pattern and other features of the tire are more suited for predominant track day use while not being too much of a compromise for DD use.

I will report!
the real test will be hitting some on/off ramps at high speed during the rain to see how good the grip is.  ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 10:25:21 am »
He said that the big blocky shoulders and tread pattern and other features of the tire are more suited for predominant track day use while not being too much of a compromise for DD use.

I will report!
the real test will be hitting some on/off ramps at high speed during the rain to see how good the grip is.  ;)

The real test will be here.... specifically turn 8  ;D

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 11:58:34 am »

I will report!
You went there.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 12:32:47 pm »
You'll have to tell me your thoughts on them.  I'm still running my original conti's until they are down to replacement level, then I have my Firehawks to put on.  I'm kind of hoping my conti's pass inspection next month so I can wait until fall to put the firehawks on my summer rims.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 08:33:07 pm »

I will report!

The real test will be here.... specifically turn 8  ;D

Yessir

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:49 am »
I'll be taking the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s to the track on Friday the 16th of August.  I've had them in the car for a couple of months now and my first impressions are:
- a bit of a "brittle" ride;
- excellent resistance to hydroplaning;
- they take a while everyday to shrug off the flatspotting they obtain while the car has been sitting;
- reasonable grip but I've yet to explore their performance envelope!
- quiet
- round
- black

The acid test will be the track.  I don't expect world-class performance at a bargain price but I'm hoping they will shoulder (pun intended) the burden of repeated hard cornering at a predominantly clockwise circuit.  The front left tire in particular.  I got asymmetric and non-directional tires precisely because I can rotate them to whatever corner I want so we'll see how much wear I can get out of them.  If they last me to the Fall I will be happy.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 10:28:51 am »
I'll be taking the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s to the track on Friday the 16th of August.  I've had them in the car for a couple of months now and my first impressions are:

- they take a while everyday to shrug off the flatspotting they obtain while the car has been sitting;

I got that with my Bridgestone RE-11's and now with the Hankook RS4's as well... thought I was crazy for feeling that...  :rofl:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 10:41:09 am »

I got that with my Bridgestone RE-11's and now with the Hankook RS4's as well... thought I was crazy for feeling that...  :rofl:
Oh, you're crazy alright.  Just for different reasons. ;)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 10:50:04 am »

Oh, you're crazy alright.  Just for different reasons. ;)

:rofl:  :rofl:  I can live with that!  :o

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:11 pm »
I had one tire (I forget which) that REALLY flatspot bad enough to shake the wheel/car..

Only lasted a minute of so.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 07:03:40 pm »
yep the Firestones flat spot a bit, goes away after a minute or two. Hazard of a soft tire.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 07:13:19 pm »
These Firehawk Indy 500 things do take quite a bit of abuse.  Here they are after 2 full 2-hour lapping evenings.  I'm showing the front left tire since it takes the most punishment at Calabogie.  There's one picture of the front right (3rd pic of 4) as reference.

The tires sacrifice a bit of ultimate grip to the Michelins I was intending to purchase but even at $150 less than the Michelins per tire,  it looks like they might last twice as long as the massive shoulders resist chunking.  I like the math.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:17:12 pm by Angry Chicken »