Author Topic: New Tires for the R  (Read 19914 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
New Tires for the R
« on: May 07, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »
So my OEM tires on my Golf R are getting to the point that I'll need to replace them before my inspection is up in July.  I only plan on keeping the car for about 14 more months so I don't really want to spend a boat load on replacing these tires.  I also don't want some cheap Chinese branded tire either. 

I've looked over my options and I think a good compromise is going with some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.  I found them at PMCtire.com for $211.73 per tire.  When I called my local VW dealer to see if they sell these tires they do and will even match the online price, which makes me happy.  Firestone has a mail in promotion too for a $100 gift card for every set of Firehawk Indy 500's you buy, but the promotion is only until the end of May so I'll be ordering them this month.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with Firestone or their Firehawk tires.  This is my first set of Firestone tires.  They seem to be reviewed well on tirerack.com.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: New Tires for the R
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:33:59 pm »
No experience with them, but a lot of people on the vwvortex forums really like them.

From what I have read here, the new Generals are also a very good tire.  If the price is close it's worth looking into them as well.  Or, anything on Kijiji in the size you need?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 01:56:31 pm »
I have an idea:  Ignore the general consensus of the forum, cheap out and buy the wrong tire, drive like a hooligan in the wet and complain about slightly sub-par performance, all while shaving off 1/16" of tread, then return them for full credit to get a different set of tires.

Then drive through a puddle and claim that you made the right choice...  :rofl2:

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:25 pm »
I have an idea:  Ignore the general consensus of the forum, cheap out and buy the wrong tire, drive like a hooligan in the wet and complain about slightly sub-par performance, all while shaving off 1/16" of tread, then return them for full credit to get a different set of tires.

Then drive through a puddle and claim that you made the right choice...  :rofl2:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:11:09 pm »
How about the General G-Max RS? Supposed to be better than the Firehawks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:33:02 pm »
i was going to suggest General tires as well...they too are running a rebate program on several tires.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:35:17 pm »
How about the General G-Max RS? Supposed to be better than the Firehawks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:35:50 pm »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:00:18 pm »
I'd go with the General G-Max RS, looks like they can be found for $210/tire & then they have the $100 pre-paid visa card offer as well.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:20:24 pm »
I'd go with the General G-Max RS, looks like they can be found for $210/tire & then they have the $100 pre-paid visa card offer as well.
i'm not sure if there is a rebate on them or not, but another possible option could be the Hercules tires for a smooth no bump ride.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »

Or listen to the general consensus but then complain the tires aren’t amazeballs.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »

GMTA.  :rofl2:

But seriously... why not just stay on winters until time's up, JohnnyM?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:51 pm »

GMTA.  :rofl2:

But seriously... why not just stay on winters until time's up, JohnnyM?

Wouldn't it be a driving equivalent of walking on beach sand in crocks?  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:27 pm »
i'm not sure if there is a rebate on them or not, but another possible option could be the Hercules tires for a smooth no bump ride.
You went there.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 06:45:29 pm »
I'm somewhat in the same place with the TT, needing to replace the Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs, size 255/35/19 that I currently use.  I also want a tire that will see occasional track use and one of my fellow track rats, Andre Corriveau, who also runs a tire and detailing shop (https://www.slickautosolutions.com/) *and* is an incredibly gifted driver said that the Indy 500 will put up with a lot of track punishment.  Basically his premise is that its forte is dry grip but that it will not be out of sorts on a damp day.  It has very large and solid looking shoulder blocks and might be a good fit for my use case.  The General is tempting, but it gives away a bit too much dry grip and I worry about how much abuse it would take. 

The Tire Rack did a test that involved both contestants -> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=235  They seem to concur with Andre's observations.  Furthermore, another acquaintance of mine, who tracks a late model Mustang GT, just switched to the Indys last track season and swears by them (not at them LOL).  Gurgie would know him.  His name is Yannick.

Basically it comes down to a battle of the subbrands.  Bridgestone/Firestone and Continental/General.  The Indy 500 is a rebranded Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 (google it, they're identical) and many say that the General G-Max RS is the same carcass/tread compound as the Continental ExtremeContact Sport (or maybe its predecessor, the Contiental ExtremeContact DW but with a different tread.

I could afford to buy the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Continental ExtremeContact Sport for track use but given a choice of grinding a $350 per corner tire down to its constituent parts or a $200 tire, my left brain votes for the latter.  My car is not that easy on tires so maybe giving up a bit in terms of ultimate grip and bragging rights would be the better compromise.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »
I have both of the tires in question: Firehawks on the Alfa, and the General RS on the Mini.

Honestly, they are both amazing tires for the price. I do not have a complaint about either of them.

Get whichever tickles your fancy more...you will not be disappointed.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 08:11:24 pm »
My General RS go on the IS-F this week.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 08:22:21 pm »
I'm somewhat in the same place with the TT, needing to replace the Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs, size 255/35/19 that I currently use.  I also want a tire that will see occasional track use and one of my fellow track rats, Andre Corriveau, who also runs a tire and detailing shop (https://www.slickautosolutions.com/) *and* is an incredibly gifted driver said that the Indy 500 will put up with a lot of track punishment.  Basically his premise is that its forte is dry grip but that it will not be out of sorts on a damp day.  It has very large and solid looking shoulder blocks and might be a good fit for my use case.  The General is tempting, but it gives away a bit too much dry grip and I worry about how much abuse it would take. 

The Tire Rack did a test that involved both contestants -> https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=235  They seem to concur with Andre's observations.  Furthermore, another acquaintance of mine, who tracks a late model Mustang GT, just switched to the Indys last track season and swears by them (not at them LOL).  Gurgie would know him.  His name is Yannick.

Basically it comes down to a battle of the subbrands.  Bridgestone/Firestone and Continental/General.  The Indy 500 is a rebranded Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 (google it, they're identical) and many say that the General G-Max RS is the same carcass/tread compound as the Continental ExtremeContact Sport (or maybe its predecessor, the Contiental ExtremeContact DW but with a different tread.

I could afford to buy the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Continental ExtremeContact Sport for track use but given a choice of grinding a $350 per corner tire down to its constituent parts or a $200 tire, my left brain votes for the latter.  My car is not that easy on tires so maybe giving up a bit in terms of ultimate grip and bragging rights would be the better compromise.

The Firehawk was on my radar, but it gave away too much in wet grip (both from the test and via real world feedback).

Maybe less of an issue with AWD though!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:59 pm »
I went with a similar type tire, the Dunlop DZ102, but haven't put it on the car yet to give an opinion.

If you only want one summer out of them the price might be right.

Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:50 pm »
I went with a similar type tire, the Dunlop DZ102, but haven't put it on the car yet to give an opinion.

If you only want one summer out of them the price might be right.

I think Mango had those on his WRX?