Author Topic: Bye Bye Smart  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
Bye Bye Smart
« on: May 03, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »
https://carbuzz.com/features/smart-leaves-the-us-but-will-fiat-be-next

It didn't come as a huge surprise to hear the news that the Smart brand will be leaving the United States and Canada. Daimler's quirky city car brand was reduced to selling just a single model called the EQ fourtwo, an electric city car with a tiny 58-mile range. Although the EQ fortwo could be leased for a comically cheap $139 per month, it wasn't enough to entice crossover-loving Americans.

No surprise there I guess.  ::)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Bye Bye Smart
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:51:03 pm »
This reminded me that i saw a Smart car with NY plates buzzing down the highway one day last week.  Two elderly people inside.  Obviously both masochists.   ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:43:02 pm »
An old co-worker of mine from a decade ago had one of the original Smart For-Two's.  I took a ride in it, and remember thinking that the automated manual was an absolute POS.  The diesel motor wasn't great either. 

The ONLY thing it had going for it was it's quirkiness.  It was cool in a special kind of way.  I don't think it was much more fuel efficient than a Yaris, either, and given the Yaris' cheaper price, better driving experience, and better practicality, you would really really have to want to be quirky to buy a Smart.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:24:10 pm »
An old co-worker of mine from a decade ago had one of the original Smart For-Two's.  I took a ride in it, and remember thinking that the automated manual was an absolute POS.  The diesel motor wasn't great either. 

The ONLY thing it had going for it was it's quirkiness.  It was cool in a special kind of way.  I don't think it was much more fuel efficient than a Yaris, either, and given the Yaris' cheaper price, better driving experience, and better practicality, you would really really have to want to be quirky to buy a Smart.

I think they might have had more success with the FourFour TBH. The Electric  smarts are cheap to buy and smooth to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyLR40nfyM

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »

I think they might have had more success with the FourFour TBH. The Electric  smarts are cheap to buy and smooth to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyLR40nfyM

Makes most sense as an electric city car, in either ForTwo or FourFor form...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...