Author Topic: Decisions  (Read 7075 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: Decisions
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 07:11:27 pm »
True. And you’re preaching to the choir. Did I not send you emails about vipers and zo6s a few years ago?

Just trying to show some different angles. Glorious either way imo

If you’re buying yourself a sports car you’re a friend of mine  [emoji14]
Definitely not disagreeing.

I mean...for the near $60k of a Bullitt...you might even be able to get into an NSX or an air cooled 911.

Really, really tough choices IMO in that price range.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 07:12:40 pm »
I’m a 996 slapping too.

996 turbo would be nice.

Edit: now look what you’ve done. I AM the peanut gallery!  :rofl2:
996 Turbo would work as well, I just find the 997 so much more modern & better looking. A 997.1 Turbo might be able to be found with some hard looking.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:05 pm »
I’m a 996 slapping too.

996 turbo would be nice.

Edit: now look what you’ve done. I AM the peanut gallery!  :rofl2:
Absolutely....definitely in that bracket. And they are so, so under rated IMO. With nothing more than a cheap tune, you have 500hp/500tq...and the engine is near bullet proof.

But even less....I know this car. It's immaculate. The 99s weren't plagued by the IMS and were really light. They weren't pretty...but they drove fantastic and sound amazing (I think you drove my 996 and can confirm).

I mean...I know I'd rather this than a Civic or Mustang..even if they'd be quicker on a track.

Please view this ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/1999-porsche-911-c2-coupe-canadian-car-low-kms/1318765811?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 09:50:55 am »
Which would you buy?

Go to Youtube and see what "long term" owners (not magazine reviewers) think about their cars. It isn't always what you'd expect thinking that if they owned it, it must be the best. And its far better than having driven them around the block.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 10:09:30 am »
No question you can get better bang for the buck used versus new.  Also, I hear breaking news that the Pope is Catholic.  But not every $60k new car buyer is a $60k used car buyer - unless they have the full funds available either way.  Financing new versus used is not even close to the same thing.  If I had $60k cash on hand that I could comfortably dump on a car, no question I would be looking used regardless of whether I was after a sports car or luxury sedan.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 10:15:30 am »
I'd say very few people have the means for a used $60k car.

Mustang vs Civic would be Mustang for me. Feels and looks more special.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »
Which would you buy?

Go to Youtube and see what "long term" owners (not magazine reviewers) think about their cars. It isn't always what you'd expect thinking that if they owned it, it must be the best. And its far better than having driven them around the block.

Yes, just did that.  It looks like the Newer Mustangs (and Bullitt) have issues with piston slap and bad shifter forks.  The Type R has had issues with 2nd gear crunching (looks like it may be due to the master slave cylinder).

Considering the Bullitt is considerably more miney than the Type R, it is now giving me some pause.

Piston slap?    From a manufacturer that has been making V8 engines for 70+ years?   One would think they would have it right by now.    And oil consumption as well?     

Although I admit to being surprised that our Q5 and our Fit have consumed no oil between scheduled services...first cars I have ever owned that didn't use some.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:29:09 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 12:53:02 pm »
No question you can get better bang for the buck used versus new.

Depends who owned it. If it was well looked after and not beat up, sure.

I looked at a car, did a paint thickness check (OK) and then connected my diagnostic software. The car had big time over-revs in all six ranges over redline and all were recent. Some clown missed some downshifts. That engine alone would cost far more than that Bullitt. I walked away.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 12:58:28 pm »
The GT350 I drove was stunning.  Simply stunning.

I'd say buy the car you really like and if you are not trading it in every couple of years, buy new if you can. Depreciation means nothing if you keep it.

Get one with a good track (reliability) record. Like they say in the motorcycle world "chrome won't get you home", so if it is always in the shop, that wears thin after a while.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 01:15:37 pm »
No question you can get better bang for the buck used versus new.

Depends who owned it. If it was well looked after and not beat up, sure.

I looked at a car, did a paint thickness check (OK) and then connected my diagnostic software. The car had big time over-revs in all six ranges over redline and all were recent. Some clown missed some downshifts. That engine alone would cost far more than that Bullitt. I walked away.

That's why I said you CAN get more bang for your buck.  You can also fail to do your due diligence and buy a complete turkey.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 02:14:17 pm »
 :rofl: It's like they read your mind...or read ours, and decided that it would make a good vid.  I love their intros.  Them and Straight Pipes are the best reviewers bar none.  I even find myself watching shi# I don't care about.

For me...Mustang.  Was sitting in the backseet of my kids car last week (just a wee bit tight for an old guy) and despite everyone else in their AT SUV's pulling away from every light...it didn't matter.  I had V8 in my ears. Thank heavens for Roush mufflers.  And 6 manually selected gears. 

He was once on a cruise night with his friends (Audi R8; GTR; 911...rich people's kids) and though everyone looked, I mean how could you not, he was the only one that had some guy on the sidewalk stop and give him 2 thumbs up and a "Nice Mustang!".  (chalk it up to a guy probably raised on American muscle and he's probably old and doesn't know a GTR from his ARSE...but still...it made him feel good that he got 2  :thumbup: and not them  ;D)

Piston slap?    From a manufacturer that has been making V8 engines for 70+ years?   One would think they would have it right by now.    And oil consumption as well?     

You'd think they could get a timing chain right too...but I've had mine on the 3.5 EB replaced, and it barely passed 70,000 km recently.  Built by Apple?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »
^ Throttle House is why I got the Jetta.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 09:13:51 am »
I wonder if they know they're influencers.  Do they get paid like the Kardasians?  Probably not, but they should.

Offline Barton

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +14/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic, Accord, Camry, Miata, and more
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 02:50:30 pm »
Maybe looking at a summer only car.  I have narrowed choices down to either a Civic Type R or a Bullitt Mustang.  Two completely different layouts, both providing different types of fun, with a significant price differential.

I have driven both now and will share my thoughts shortly but wanted to get some input from you folks.  Why?  You seem like okay people.

Which would you buy?

Or, get a base Mustang GT and save $20K!