Author Topic: AS/Summer tires for the BMW  (Read 10441 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
AS/Summer tires for the BMW
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:57:29 pm »
It's time to replace the AS/Summer tires. I have a dedicated set of winter so this will be mostly used from Apr-Novish.
Since the BMW is almost 9 years old and i am not sure how long i will keep (3 years more maybe) it i was looking to buy tires that are not very expensive.

Has anyone heard about Radar Dimax R8? Are these a decent option
The next option is Continental ContiProContact which is the OEM tire wich would be about $200 more for a set of 4.

forgot to add, will need to be RFT or i will have to buy 5 tires and a wheel

Thanks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: AS/Summer tires for the BMW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 01:30:49 pm »
They will never get a flat , because they made with the strength of Hercules,
And will give you a smooth bump free ride if you get the pressure right  ;D
https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Raptis-R-T5

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »
Bella has the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on here 323i and I find them to be a great tire! The wear has been good, they're quiet, and have excellent traction. They're not runflats though, I wouldn't bother with that, just put a can of puncture seal in the trunk & be done with it  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 02:08:27 pm »
i've never heard of Radar tires...in my opinion, tires aren't something you cheap out on...no, don't go ridiculous, but always get something decent...if you are keeping the car for 3 more years, even if the Conti tires are $200 more, it isn't really that much more to have a better product for the 3 years (or more)...there are some other decent tires out there that may be a bit less from other solid brands, so perhaps consider those as well...Conti's lower priced brand is General Tire, and they are usually pretty decent as well...also look into Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Goodyear and perhaps even the SE2 models from Motomaster (Canadian Tire brand), which are apparently made by Michelin.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:31:00 pm »
Bella has the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on here 323i and I find them to be a great tire! The wear has been good, they're quiet, and have excellent traction. They're not runflats though, I wouldn't bother with that, just put a can of puncture seal in the trunk & be done with it  ;D

This.   Unless you're often in environments where you couldn't potentially call a tow, I'd just save the money from RFT and budget for one tow in your three years. 

You likely won't have any.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »

OK, i saw a few useed Conti's on kijiji with 80% or so tread.. so will check them out...

Any good puncture seal recommendation?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:50:05 pm »

OK, i saw a few useed Conti's on kijiji with 80% or so tread.. so will check them out...

Any good puncture seal recommendation?
Never had to use one, but this would work for your tire size.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fix-a-flat-453-g-0095073p.html#srp

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 09:35:02 pm »
I agree re not going for run flats.  Fix a flat has worked well for me previously and there are ways to get free roadside (Triangle MasterCard, for example).

I just put the Nokian zLine A/S on my Mazda 3. Absolutely loving the :censor: out of them.  Highly recommended, especially for the price.

They'll fit the 323i either base 16" or sport package with 17"rims.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:55 pm »
Fountain Tire has a sale going on for Goodyears (25% off plus $60 rebate) until April 20.

A good one is the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season. Rated #2 on Tire Rack for high performance all seasons.

https://www.fountaintire.com/tires/details/All-Season-Goodyear-Eagle-Sport-All-Season-205-55R16-109907366

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 10:51:01 pm »
runflats are terrible never use them. They are expensive and wear terribly, and ride even worse. Fix a Flat, CAA, and you are golden.

Mini uses General G-Max RS and they are fantastic. Possibly the best UHP summer tire for the price, period. I can take corners at insane speeds, and the tires keep up with the Minis chassis. Tall order. The G-Max AS-03 and AS-05 are also excellent All Season tires - had those on the Saab. Cannot say enough good things about General Tire at the moment, their lineup kills especially for what you pay.

Alfa used Yokohama S-Drive and they were very good, and I expect the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s to be even better. Again, budget-ish tire that punches way above its weight.

Continentals are expensive and I have not really seen them perform any better than the Generals or the Yokos (had the DW for a couple of seasons...they didnt last long).
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:56:24 pm »
Yep! Agree with the above.

Will be putting the RS on the IS-F.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:41:22 am »
Mini uses General G-Max RS and they are fantastic. Possibly the best UHP summer tire for the price, period. I can take corners at insane speeds, and the tires keep up with the Minis chassis. Tall order. The G-Max AS-03 and AS-05 are also excellent All Season tires - had those on the Saab. Cannot say enough good things about General Tire at the moment, their lineup kills especially for what you pay.

Yep! Agree with the above.

Will be putting the RS on the IS-F.

Now you guys have me checking these out as I need new summer tires for the GTI.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 04:55:50 pm »
I don't know what sizes are on your 323i, just from my perspective, there is indeed truth in matching the tire to the desired handling caractéristiques of the car.

On my BMW E90 with the 17" staggered sport setup for summer, I was happiest with the ContiSportContact 3s (non-RFT). Had them once, liked them, then it was a change to Goodyear Pilot F1s which were okay but not as sticky at the limit. The Contis had a firmer sidewall and a firmer ride, but I prefered the at-the-limit feel over the Goodyears, which were very competent but lacked the outright stick when driving 10/10ths. Goodyears had a more comfortable ride, but the roads in NC are good, so not much an issue.

Many years ago, I had the Yokohama S.Drives on my dad's MX-5. A bit soft for my tastes, but perhaps things have changed over the years.

I had the ContiSportContact 5 SSRs on my Mazda3 BM (2014) hatch. A great tire, but it was too much for the chassis and suspension. So while the tires would stick, the body roll was already excessive and had me holding onto the steering wheel for dear life.

I hated the Bridgestone Potenza lineup. On my dad's MX-5 it rode harshly, short lifespan, and let go too suddenly when I pushed it to 10/10ths. Acceptable feedback at the wheel though, I just prefer a more gradual breakaway on my tires (car & moto).

I have the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my Peugeot 308 GT and it's a great tire. Not a super-sticky sport tire, but that suits the car. After all, I don't have the GTi variant !

I don't really believe in all-season tires. Ton of experience with the ContiProContact (afterthought of a tire, btw. Not even sold in Europe) and it's competent, and nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:59:12 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:37 pm »
I just put Pirelli P7 Cinturato All-Season Plus on the MiNI. Size 225/45/VR18. Awesome non run-flat long wear and reasonably grippy premium tire. So far I am very pleased with my choice!

Coincidentally I had the same model tire (minus the “plus”) and size but in run-flat on the 2013 BMW 320i XDrive. Great tire on a meh car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 06:33:57 pm »
I just put Pirelli P7 Cinturato All-Season Plus on the MiNI. Size 225/45/VR18. Awesome non run-flat long wear and reasonably grippy premium tire. So far I am very pleased with my choice!

Coincidentally I had the same model tire (minus the “plus”) and size but in run-flat on the 2013 BMW 320i XDrive. Great tire on a meh car.
Had these on the LS...because they are among the quietest tires on offer.

Are they quiet in your application?

I thought they could be a smidge better in the wet though.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »
They are very quiet. They balanced up very well, too. UTQG rating of 700 so long life which is important to me as this is our commuter car. As for wet handling, if they’re like the ones on the BMW they will be much more than just fine.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:23 pm »
They are very quiet. They balanced up very well, too. UTQG rating of 700 so long life which is important to me as this is our commuter car. As for wet handling, if they’re like the ones on the BMW they will be much more than just fine.
Might be less noticeable in awd I think...