Author Topic: Maxima vs TLX  (Read 11947 times)

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Altima 3.5 SE, TLX A-Spec SH-AWD V6
Maxima vs TLX
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:25:57 am »
Help! I’m severely conflicted between two cars, both are coming in around the same price.

2019 TLX AWD V6 Tech A-spec and 2019 Nissan Maxima SR.

I’m looking for the more fun to drive car. Especially in city driving where you’ll take the right lane at a red when there’s a parked car after the light and need to floor it to get in front of the left lane, etc. I’m driving an Altima V6 for the last decade and love it so I’m loyal to the Nissan brand. But I feel that the TLX is more that type of car I’m looking for. But I enjoyed driving both of them very much. I’m torn between the two. Also living in Canada, the AWD should play a significant role in my decision I’d think. Any insight or help so I can get passed this decision? My gut is telling me TLX (I think) but I have this twinge of hesitation that might just be melancholy over leaving the brand I’ve been driving for almost 15 years and the car I’ve been driving since before I even became a dad. I got my Altima V6 right when the new 2007 redesign came out and I loved it.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Maxima vs TLX
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:31:50 am »
I’m looking for the more fun to drive car. Especially in city driving where you’ll take the right lane at a red when there’s a parked car after the light and need to floor it to get in front of the left lane, etc.

You and I have different definitions of fun.

Out of the two I'd go TLX all the way.  But I am not a Nissan fan.

Other cars to consider:

- A used Lexus IS
- A Mazda6 AWD with the 2.5T
- A Camry SE (those things are quick)

Basically you need to drive a bunch of cars to see what works for you.  With the market for sedans crumbling you should be able to get a decent deal on something.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:34:42 am »
Fun is definitely zipping around and highway cruising. But a lot of time will be spent city driving and that’s what I need the power for as well.

I’ve checked out cars I was interested in and boiled it down to those two.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:40:48 am »
I’m looking for the more fun to drive car. Especially in city driving where you’ll take the right lane at a red when there’s a parked car after the light and need to floor it to get in front of the left lane, etc.

So you are that guy.  ::) If in Ontario that "fun" turns into watching your car get towed for 'street racing'. But at least you can now say you are in front of that car so you won in a race of one. Enjoy.

I'd pick the Acura between the two. Personally I'd get a used Lexus RC_F over either. More fun and sounds proper.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:22 am »

You and I have different definitions of fun.

Out of the two I'd go TLX all the way.  But I am not a Nissan fan.

Other cars to consider:

- A used Lexus IS
- A Mazda6 AWD with the 2.5T
- A Camry SE (those things are quick)

Basically you need to drive a bunch of cars to see what works for you.  With the market for sedans crumbling you should be able to get a decent deal on something.

What Mazda6 AWD with the 2.5T are you referring to?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:56 am »
TLX for sure of those two.
Three letters instantly rules out the Maxima for me.  CVT.

Watch this. Sums it up perfectly.

https://youtu.be/LA-ZOlPNU5c?t=2m11s

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:48:16 am »
What Mazda6 AWD with the 2.5T are you referring to?

The one in my dreams, clearly.  Wow, I genuinely thought that AWD came with the introduction of the 2.5T.

Still, if I was after a fun mainstream sedan I'd go with the Mazda6 with the 2.5T.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:50:25 am »
Yeah, based on your posted criteria, TLX.  AWD is going to help you get off the line a lot quicker especially in any sort of inclement weather.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:55:31 am »
Yeah, based on your posted criteria, TLX.  AWD is going to help you get off the line a lot quicker especially in any sort of inclement weather.

Doesn't the Maxima now have AWD?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 08:59:34 am »

Think just the Altima got it.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:27 am »

Think just the Altima got it.

ahh ok

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 09:37:06 am »
The new VW Arteon might be worth considering.  Not sure how the pricing compares to the TLX though.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 09:51:09 am »
I'd choose the TLX between those two (assuming they have that lame 9-speed transmission sorted out to remove the lameness), but I'd really take a close look at (and drive) a G70.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 10:00:39 am »

So you are that guy.  ::) If in Ontario that "fun" turns into watching your car get towed for 'street racing'. But at least you can now say you are in front of that car so you won in a race of one. Enjoy.

I'd pick the Acura between the two. Personally I'd get a used Lexus RC_F over either. More fun and sounds proper.

Fair enough lol. But I do have my own code I follow. Main one being that I won’t do it if there’s not a decent amount of room in front of me - meaning I won’t be flooring it and cutting off the guy next to me because I ran out of real estate. I’m aggressive but considerate. There are also times you are in the right lane just cuz and it ends up being blocked up ahead. I don’t need to brake and wait for someone to let me in.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 10:02:08 am »

Just the Altima. And they only offer the Altima with a 4 cylinder engine which is stupid. If the Maxima was AWD I don’t think I’d be so torn.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 10:09:20 am »
but I'd really take a close look at (and drive) a G70.

+1

Thinking it would be much more sportier than the two original suggestions.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 10:14:42 am »
Kia Stinger? A lot of value there.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 10:42:42 am »
Kia Stinger? A lot of value there.
Railton

Hell yes.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 10:45:12 am »
A couple year old Lexus GS if you are after a luxury car with a fun and sporty ride. Hyundai Genesis Sedan/ Genesis G80 will give you even more luxury but less perceived "sport". G70 sounds like a great BMW 3-series competitor but I haven't driven it yet to recommend.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 01:53:35 pm »
G70 and Stinger both come a little more expensive than the TLX or Maxima. Mainly because I’d need the twin turbo engine option if I went with either of them.