Author Topic: Swivel seats in Canada  (Read 2213 times)

Offline iaacek

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Subaru Legacy, 2002 E-150
Swivel seats in Canada
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:03:35 pm »
I have a 2002 Ford E-150 and would like to get an original/aftermarket swivel base for passenger seat.

I was recently talking about it with a friend and she told me that they are illegal in Canada and that's also why you can't buy them here. She mentioned that it could void my insurance if I get into an accident and the insurance company finds about it. Do you guys know if this is true? Any links, references to official pages, documents where I could read about it?

Thanks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Swivel seats in Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:09:37 pm »
Don't RVs have swivel seats ?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:19 pm »
Yeah, a lot of motorhomes have swivel seats, I don't see why that would be an issue on your van at all if you got an approved seat. There are tons of C class, Ford based motorhomes, I would look for one thats been wrecked and get it out of that. Most likely the thing would bolt straight in.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:06 pm »
THose  were the days when 20 ft long 'personal luxury cars' had a swivel drivers seat as an option so that big people could get in and out.   They were a dying breed  ( just like 150 bhp from 460 cu.ins) when I came to Canada.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 01:36:24 pm »
I have a 2002 Ford E-150 and would like to get an original/aftermarket swivel base for passenger seat.

I was recently talking about it with a friend and she told me that they are illegal in Canada and that's also why you can't buy them here. She mentioned that it could void my insurance if I get into an accident and the insurance company finds about it. Do you guys know if this is true? Any links, references to official pages, documents where I could read about it?

Thanks

Your friend is misguided. Swivel seats are available as adaptive equipment for persons with disabilities, but there's nothing saying that you can't use the seats yourself.

Contact your insurance company and ask if you want a definitive answer.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:28 pm »
I wouldn't be talking to any insurance company over this even though it's legal.  Today's INS. Co. are BIG and they don't fancy dicking around with liability questions.  It's much easier to terminate you as a customer than have 6 different underwriters play hot potatoes with a "conversion" question.  Once you are denied you have problems with every other company.

Obviously you are not the original owner being a 2002 so if anything were to occur then as far as you were concerned it was original.

You are just looking for the adapter plate.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanseatbases/rvvanFordseatbases.htm

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 04:27:38 pm »
Are insurance companies feminist conspiracies?  LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline iaacek

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:13:11 pm »
I wouldn't be talking to any insurance company over this even though it's legal.  Today's INS. Co. are BIG and they don't fancy dicking around with liability questions.  It's much easier to terminate you as a customer than have 6 different underwriters play hot potatoes with a "conversion" question.  Once you are denied you have problems with every other company.

Obviously you are not the original owner being a 2002 so if anything were to occur then as far as you were concerned it was original.

Yes, that is the base I am thinking about.

I don't see why asking my broker a question would result in any problems. I am guessing they must have some guidelines for these things. If they say no, I just won't install it, that's all.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 05:16:49 pm »

Yes, that is the base I am thinking about.

I don't see why asking my broker a question would result in any problems. I am guessing they must have some guidelines for these things. If they say no, I just won't install it, that's all.

I wouldn't get the insurance company involved at all......just a little heads up. If you get a legit seat, no reason to.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:43:15 pm »

Your "Broker" is a sales agent.  If in a million years you actually had a liability issue regarding that "swivel" the "Broker" has no input into the matter.  It would be an issue decided by the actual insurance carrier, hence a Broker cannot give you a valid answer and the insurance carrier will never issue you an approval in writing.

I would suggest for once in your life you just take a weenie little risk and take a ride on the wild side and go with what you want. 

Offline iaacek

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:16 am »
This is not about me not taking risk =). It was more about asking whether the information I got from a friend is credible=)