Author Topic: Rusty Steel Wheels  (Read 7752 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Rusty Steel Wheels
« on: March 31, 2019, 11:04:40 am »
I'm looking to get a set of winter wheels for the Highlander since it's so much easier to swap them at home.

These are on Kijiji.

16" Toyota Steel Wheels w/Center Caps,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/ottawa/16-toyota-steel-wheels-w-center-caps/1415419868?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 125

I assumed they are salvageable. What's the best way to make them look better and last longer?

I was thinking of getting a wire wheel for my drill then spray with some rust proofing paint then plasti-dip or paint.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Rusty Steel Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 11:36:36 am »
Wonder if you could take them somewhere & get them sand blasted? Otherwise I think with quite a bit if elbow grease between a wire wheel & sanding you'd probably get them cleaned up enough to paint or plasti-dip.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 11:39:31 am »
I'd have all summer to chip away at them.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 11:49:35 am »
I'd have all summer to chip away at them.
Like if you will look at them again until Nov1  :rofl2:
Or put the kids to work  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:51:12 am »
Hahaha. You're not wrong.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 09:35:08 pm »
I'm looking to get a set of winter wheels for the Highlander since it's so much easier to swap them at home.

These are on Kijiji.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/ottawa/16-toyota-steel-wheels-w-center-caps/1415419868?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

I assumed they are salvageable. What's the best way to make them look better and last longer?

I was thinking of getting a wire wheel for my drill then spray with some rust proofing paint then plasti-dip or paint.
As Gurgie also said, if you're willing to invest the elbow grease then you're on the right track!  You could probably get them cleaned up and powder-coated at RLD Industries.  I remember they quoted me something pretty cheap on a set of TT wheels a couple of seasons back. Cool that they come with the centre caps.  They will look good.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 09:27:48 pm »

These are on Kijiji.

As Gurgie also said, if you're willing to invest the elbow grease then you're on the right track!  You could probably get them cleaned up and powder-coated at RLD Industries.  I remember they quoted me something pretty cheap on a set of TT wheels a couple of seasons back. Cool that they come with the centre caps.  They will look good.

What's pretty cheap for powder coating wheels?  It's usually cheaper to just buy new steelies in my experience.

BTW, if getting wheels powder coated, make sure they mask the surface that mates to the hub/rotor.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 09:33:08 pm »

These are on Kijiji.

What's pretty cheap for powder coating wheels?  It's usually cheaper to just buy new steelies in my experience.

BTW, if getting wheels powder coated, make sure they mask the surface that mates to the hub/rotor.
You're also supposed to mask the surface where the lugs go....allegedly.

Yea...powder coating is generally $50 a wheel in this area.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...