Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan  (Read 5207 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 09:51:11 am »
They're cutting costs because North America is the most competitive automotive market and is very price sensitive. This cost cutting has been happening long before diesel gate (see the sixth generation Jetta).

This is true.  But there has been more cost cutting since Dieselgate.  The Mk. 7.5 had a bunch of things removed from it vs. the 2015-2017 models.  They were mostly minor things like the drawer under the drivers seat, locking glove-box, carpeting in the door pockets, under hood insulation and stuff like that.

Nitpick: I have the carpeting in the door pockets. But none of the other stuff  >:(. The tray is like $200 aftermarket which is ridiculous. And the locking glove box would be nice.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
They're cutting costs because North America is the most competitive automotive market and is very price sensitive. This cost cutting has been happening long before diesel gate (see the sixth generation Jetta).

This is true.  But there has been more cost cutting since Dieselgate.  The Mk. 7.5 had a bunch of things removed from it vs. the 2015-2017 models.  They were mostly minor things like the drawer under the drivers seat, locking glove-box, carpeting in the door pockets, under hood insulation and stuff like that.

I'm wondering if those were just cut from Mexican built models or from European market models as well.
Just for the North American market.

I wanted to see if those things were cut in the latest Jetta (MQB), but then I realised the Jetta isn't even offered for sale in Western European markets  :rofl2:

The Tiguan actually isn't a huge success in Europe either; it's too expensive and stingy on features compared to its competitors, and the European press hasn't been totally kind to its driving dynamics either.

Lol the Tiguan is in FACT a huge success in Europe...VW fully expects it will become its best selling model in a few years (same prediction Toyota had on the RAV 4 for the US back in 2010)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »
Interesting. It must have to do with different markets because I honestly don't see that many Tiguans in the southwest of Germany or France in general (it was only 9th for SUVs in France last year).

Then again, Europe's pretty big and I know that VW is big in Germany and Espagne.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 12:06:53 pm »
They sold 250k Tiguans in Europe last year. Note that the vast majority of European sales are the shorter model that we don't get here.

Meanwhile they sold 445k Golfs, the lowest since 2012 (which was the last full year of MkVi sales before the MkVII went on sale).

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 01:29:52 pm »
Isn't the Tiguan selling 4:1 to the Golf Wagon in the USA? Thought I heard that somewhere.
It’s more like 6:1 - which is why VW is killing the wagon.

And to reinforce this: Japolinik came up with a list of the top 25 slowest selling cars:

23. Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen (Average days on the lot: 130.6)

22. Fiat 500X (Average days on the lot: 130.7)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »
Nitpick: I have the carpeting in the door pockets. But none of the other stuff  >:(. The tray is like $200 aftermarket which is ridiculous. And the locking glove box would be nice.

Good to know.  Maybe it's the lining in the glovebox I am thinking of.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 01:50:53 pm »
Isn't the Tiguan selling 4:1 to the Golf Wagon in the USA? Thought I heard that somewhere.

And to reinforce this: Japolinik came up with a list of the top 25 slowest selling cars:

Wonder what the first 22 slow selling cars are and if they are going to be axed also (going with your theory of course).

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 03:18:39 pm »
Can see why GM is shutting down those plants making 4 door sedans:

https://jalopnik.com/the-list-of-the-slowest-selling-cars-in-2018-is-mostly-1833602470

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 04:03:27 pm »
2. Volkswagen Touareg (Average days on the lot: 194.1)

1. Mitsubishi Lancer (Average days on the lot: 195.3)

Were these even made in 2018?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 05:21:27 pm »
2. Volkswagen Touareg (Average days on the lot: 194.1)

1. Mitsubishi Lancer (Average days on the lot: 195.3)

Were these even made in 2018?

Yup, read the article...they are typically leftovers that were never sold. :)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 05:22:44 pm »

Wonder what the first 22 slow selling cars are and if they are going to be axed also (going with your theory of course).

You bet, some of them have already been declared dead, some will stop production and...well...sometimes you just want to keep the brand alive (like Fiat)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 07:48:02 pm »
I think it is just forum members that have issues with the power. Lots of these around just like Subaru Outback/Imprezza/Crosstreks. Some people don't give a :censor: about power.
i would say that is most consumers...it's really only us in here that care about power, and many of the journalists, who are "car guys"...the average consumer for regular vehicles likely doesn't even care about power (with in reason here, the Mirage is likely an outlier)...things like features, price, size, fuel economy and safety are likely far higher on their list than "how many hp does it have?".
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 08:51:16 pm »
Agreed. Just like people complain about the 1.4T in the Golf replacing the 1.8T, but the reality is that for most people the 1.4T is the better engine.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 10:33:51 am »
While Tiguan's interior feels definitely cheaper to me compared to my '16 GTI - yes, it's missing a couple of nice touches present in my GTI which make a difference for me (although some of them are gone even from the newer GTIs as mentioned by Oliver), I think overall it's up to par with the rest of the class, except for CX-5 which IMO is more premium then anything else in the class.

No vehicle in this class, except for the newly launched '19 CX-5 Signature trim, has real wood trim or high quality leather, so one should set the expectations accordingly. None of them have velvet lined glove boxes or felt lined door pockets either so it's not something that Tiguan must have. As for the rest of the cabin, they follow the same mold as anyone else - soft touch upper dash/hard plastic lower and floor console, soft touch top for front door panels/hard plastic rear, all cubbies are lined with rubber mats, door switches are lit, etc.... Honestly, I don't see why anyone would say the Tiguan interior feels cheaper than the rest of the class. It's not like the materials are a lower grade by any means.

The biggest offender for me in the Tiguan's interior are the rear door inserts which are downright ugly and extremely cheap feeling being made of hard plastic rather than fabric/leatherette. This is one thing I strongly fault VW for. I'm not sure if they changed them for 2019 but if they didn't, I would say it's a step too much for VW and it's sad to see. The other thing for me is the short, fixed front arm rest. I would miss the sliding and height adjustable arm rest in my GTI, but again, I don't think any Tiguan competitor has something like this anyway.

I think some people still expect VW to be a notch up above the other mainstream competitors but the reality is they compete in a very aggressive segment/market and something has to give hence the Tiguan is tailored for North American market specifically and in the same price-range as everything else. You cannot realistically expect Audi materials for Honda price.

Tiguan's price and packaging is pretty good IMO too. The mid-trim Comfortline is pretty well equipped (3 interior color choices too) for just under $35K (before freight) - the only feature missing for me is HID/LED headlights and rear-heated seats (not available in any trim). I really like you can get the built-in Navi  or the panoramic sunroof as stand-alone options rather than standard or package. I may choose built-in Navi/Satellite radio for a very reasonable $555 but don't want any sort of sunroof ($1400),  so it would work well for me.

As for power, it's underpowerd for my liking but not for what the car is meant to be. In this segment the fuel economy trumps power every time for most buyers (not for me though) so it's a non-issue with VW approach which is no different than any other mainstream manufacturer.

The cargo/rear passenger setup is very good (perhaps the best in class IMO) with sliding/reclining rear bench, 40-20-40 split, relatively non-intrusive cargo side walls (5-seat version), plus it's spacious enough rear seats up/down (5-seat version).  The cargo volume is not the absolute biggest by the numbers but its configuration is probably one of the best.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:37:27 am by carcrazy »