Author Topic: Summers for the Sequoia  (Read 20688 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Summers for the Sequoia
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
If you weren't towing a travel trailer with your family on board I'd say roll the dice with winters or cheap summer tires.

A blowout and subsequent rollover doesn't care you didn't feel like buying tires.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:27:43 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 07:24:35 pm »
If you weren't towing a travel trailer with your family on board I'd say roll the dice with winters or cheap summer tires.

A blowout and subsequent rollover doesn't care you didn't't feel like buying tires.

This, this and more this.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 07:33:38 pm »
Keep your eyes peeled for quality used tires already mounted on compatible wheels. That is your best option but will likely cost you $600-800.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 07:34:25 pm »
There are reasons I don't want to buy tires for the Sequoia:

• I don't know how long I'll keep it. I get the point though that I should be able to recoup about 2/3rds the cost of the tires.
  • I've purchased three sets of tires in the last 12 months totalling over $1800, I'm done with buying tires.

I do have two BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/As sitting in my garage with lots and lots of tread left. They are 10 years old though, but they are in good shape with no cracking on the rubber.

We'll see. We're going to continue to have near freezing morning temperatures well into April so I don't need summer tires yet.

You gotta pay to play.

Just wait until you have to start replacing trailer tires. Those things are junk and don't seem to last very long (watch for uneven wear because the cheap trailer suspension wears out.) And even if they're wearing evenly, they seem to develop sidewall cracks really quickly (maybe because they sit for long periods? Or maybe just because they're all from China now and junk.) Seems like I end up buying at least a couple new tires every other year.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:42 pm »
Goddammit, fine. Then Motomaster APX or all weather tires and sell the Blizzaks this autumn are my top two choices. I'm leaning towards all weathers because it's mostly commuting duties in the winter, and it's a huge step up from what 80% of Edmontonians drive on.

Just wait until you have to start replacing trailer tires. Those things are junk and don't seem to last very long (watch for uneven wear because the cheap trailer suspension wears out.) And even if they're wearing evenly, they seem to develop sidewall cracks really quickly (maybe because they sit for long periods? Or maybe just because they're all from China now and junk.) Seems like I end up buying at least a couple new tires every other year.

Yea, I want to replace the China bombs with Goodyear Endurance as soon as I can. Maybe not this year because it'll be set number 5 but next year for sure.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:41 pm »
I don’t think the Blizzaks are why you found the winter performance marginal with the Sequoia.

I drove one on studded Nokians and found the performance to be good when in four wheel drive, but in 2WD, it sure is lacking.  That said, even in 4WD it’s not as good as the AWD SUVs. It’s a truck and has many of the same limitations. My HL feels much more planted and capable on bad roads, but I’d still take the Sequoia over most 2WD vehicles.

If you’re planning on driving the Sequoia next winter, keep the Blizzaks.  The only way I’d change from the Blizzak is to something like a studded Nokian. Everything else is a move backwards.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:21 pm »
Goddammit, fine. Then Motomaster APX or all weather tires and sell the Blizzaks this autumn are my top two choices. I'm leaning towards all weathers because it's mostly commuting duties in the winter, and it's a huge step up from what 80% of Edmontonians drive on.

Yea, I want to replace the China bombs with Goodyear Endurance as soon as I can. Maybe not this year because it'll be set number 5 but next year for sure.

I'm sure the Goodyears are as good a choice as any, but I'm also pretty sure those are made in China now as well. Lots of reports on the net of those blowing up too.

I wouldn't be in any huge hurry to replace whatever came on the trailer - just watch for abnormal wear and keep on top of tire pressures religiously.

EDIT: Just looked into the Endurance. Yeah, I was thinking of the Goodyear Marathons, which used to be made in the States but are now made in China. Looks like the Endurance is a new tire (since I was last trailer tire shopping) and is indeed made in the States. Good to know. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:56:05 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:33 pm »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 08:15:07 pm »
Keep your eyes peeled for quality used tires already mounted on compatible wheels. That is your best option but will likely cost you $600-800.

I've been looking into that as well. Sequoia and Tundra wheels are a little rare, especially since 2nd gens are 5 bolt and not compatible. 4Runner and Tacoma setups could work but the mid 2000+ are high offset so I might need to run spacers to make it fit.

I don’t think the Blizzaks are why you found the winter performance marginal with the Sequoia.

I drove one on studded Nokians and found the performance to be good when in four wheel drive, but in 2WD, it sure is lacking.  That said, even in 4WD it’s not as good as the AWD SUVs. It’s a truck and has many of the same limitations. My HL feels much more planted and capable on bad roads, but I’d still take the Sequoia over most 2WD vehicles.

If you’re planning on driving the Sequoia next winter, keep the Blizzaks.  The only way I’d change from the Blizzak is to something like a studded Nokian. Everything else is a move backwards.

That is something to consider, I certainly wouldn't want the Sequoia to stop any worse on ice.

I'm sure the Goodyears are as good a choice as any, but I'm also pretty sure those are made in China now as well. Lots of reports on the net of those blowing up too.

I wouldn't be in any huge hurry to replace whatever came on the trailer - just watch for abnormal wear and keep on top of tire pressures religiously.

The Goodyear Marathons are made in China and have had issues, the Goodyear Endurance is made in the USA and has had many praises.

I think pressure is a big one, trailer tires need to be kept at near max cold pressure to hold their weight. There's a bit of leeway with my trailer with the gross weight being 7500 and dry weight is 4718 so if it's 5 PSI down maybe not an issue. I'm going to look at some electronic pressure sensors.

How much to ship tires from Ottawa to Edmonton?

pneus 4 saisons 265/70R16,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/gatineau/pneus-4-saisons-265-70r16/1421760898?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Couple hundred maybe, not worth it, plus see my 4Runner/Tacoma comment above.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 10:56:39 pm »
Are you trying to be No-san lite? WTF!? If Kijiji isn't an option for you, buy some facking good all seasons at Crappy Tire & be done with it!

Option #2 - Get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs & sell the Blizzaks. Fack those sissy all weather tires.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 11:40:06 pm »
I was aiming for Solstice2006-Lite actually.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 09:10:40 am »
Are you trying to be No-san lite? WTF!? If Kijiji isn't an option for you, buy some facking good all seasons at Crappy Tire & be done with it!

Option #2 - Get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs & sell the Blizzaks. Fack those sissy all weather tires.

:rofl2: That's honestly probably the best option yet....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:48 am »

Personally, I would get a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KO, but only run them during the warm months, using Blizzaks in the winter.  In fact, I am considering that very thing for my Tundra in the next year or so (including upsizing the tires a couple of sizes, because I can).    A stock third-gen Tundra can fit a 285/65R18 without any rubbing.  That's 32.5".   

The 4.30 rear end in the Tundra should also mean that upsizing the tires doesn't have any detrimental effect on performance...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 09:20:54 am »

Looks like hockey pucks to me.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:04 am »

Personally, I would get a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KO, but only run them during the warm months, using Blizzaks in the winter.  In fact, I am considering that very thing for my Tundra in the next year or so (including upsizing the tires a couple of sizes, because I can).    A stock third-gen Tundra can fit a 285/65R18 without any rubbing.  That's 32.5".   

The 4.30 rear end in the Tundra should also mean that upsizing the tires doesn't have any detrimental effect on performance...

The Tundra build I did for work awhile back I used 285/55/R20s and they did require a bit of trimming to the splash liner infront of the front wheels, otherwise they rubbed at full lock. Stock height.

As for the Duratracs, I ran them all this winter on the Ram without any complaints. If left in 2WD the back end gets a bit loose, but the Ram does have an 'auto' 4WD setting, which is what I used whenever there was muck on the roads and it was fine.

The Duratracs are actually winter rated, meaning they have the snowflake symbol and qualify for the insurance winter tire discounts. I don't think the KO2's are winter rated, which would be the deciding factor for me.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 09:36:38 am »

The Tundra build I did for work awhile back I used 285/55/R20s and they did require a bit of trimming to the splash liner infront of the front wheels, otherwise they rubbed at full lock. Stock height.

As for the Duratracs, I ran them all this winter on the Ram without any complaints. If left in 2WD the back end gets a bit loose, but the Ram does have an 'auto' 4WD setting, which is what I used whenever there was muck on the roads and it was fine.

The Duratracs are actually winter rated, meaning they have the snowflake symbol and qualify for the insurance winter tire discounts. I don't think the KO2's are winter rated, which would be the deciding factor for me.

Ko2s have the snowflake, Firm. Again, they were so good I ran my F-150 in RWD for most of the winter.

Good to know. I have them on the CT Wrangler....just never drive it cuz Jeep's suck  :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 10:13:06 am »

Ko2s have the snowflake, Firm. Again, they were so good I ran my F-150 in RWD for most of the winter.

Well, I already have a set of Blizzaks for the truck, and will replace them once they wear out (I already have the 2nd set of wheels, so why not?).  Winter performance of an All-Terrain tire is a non-issue for me. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 10:15:17 am »

Good to know.  A 2" lift might be in order, then.  And 33's. 

I think I'm starting to suffer from a little bit of scope creep here.  Before I know it, my truck will look like this:

(just kidding, I want to keep it close to stock for the first five years at least).

BTW, got any pictures of that Tundra build that you did? 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 10:19:13 am »
^hey, easy on the Jeeps sucks comments, lol!

I ran Duratrac's on my Wrangler year round, they were awesome in the winter here in Ottawa, 1000 times better in the snow than the Xice2 I ran the 1st winter with the Wrangler. Plus you can get them in an LT rating (same as the KO2's), so no need to worry about load ratings not being high enough. I also upsized them, went to a 275/65/18 vs stock 255/70/18, but I stuck with a P rated tire, if I went to an LT, I would've went with the 275/70/18. For the Sequoia an LT would be a good idea, especially towing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 10:48:46 am »

Good to know.  A 2" lift might be in order, then.  And 33's. 

I think I'm starting to suffer from a little bit of scope creep here.  Before I know it, my truck will look like this:

(just kidding, I want to keep it close to stock for the first five years at least).

BTW, got any pictures of that Tundra build that you did?

Nothing as crazy as the one you posted since this has to fit in Toronto undergrounds. So stock suspension, which sorta limits what you can do. Also didn't want it to be loud, so stock exhaust stayed. We did do a TRD rear sway bar, which I understand is a pretty common upgrade and a K&N intake, along with all the visual stuff and some electronics (rear screens, dash cam, gps tracker)