Author Topic: Summers for the Sequoia  (Read 20669 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Summers for the Sequoia
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 11:03:16 am »
As for the Duratracs, I ran them all this winter on the Ram without any complaints. If left in 2WD the back end gets a bit loose, but the Ram does have an 'auto' 4WD setting, which is what I used whenever there was muck on the roads and it was fine.

The Duratracs are actually winter rated, meaning they have the snowflake symbol and qualify for the insurance winter tire discounts. I don't think the KO2's are winter rated, which would be the deciding factor for me.

Ko2s have the snowflake, Firm. Again, they were so good I ran my F-150 in RWD for most of the winter.

How are the Duratracs and KO2s on ice though? The snow is fine, it's ice that's causing me grief. I might have to go studded next time.

Those RIMS need to burn in hell

Not my cup of tea either but they're not that bad.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 11:06:41 am »
Not the rims I would've put on my own truck.....but I also wouldn't have bought a Brown Toyota, so w/e.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 11:18:22 am »
Not the rims I would've put on my own truck.....but I also wouldn't have bought a Brown Toyota, so w/e.

Just breaking your balls man.

I like the brown truck.

Hello Firm and Vmango, am I on your ignore list?  :P

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
Dual exhaust is something I want on the Tundra.  I would like more burble from the back.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 11:30:33 am »
As for the Duratracs, I ran them all this winter on the Ram without any complaints. If left in 2WD the back end gets a bit loose, but the Ram does have an 'auto' 4WD setting, which is what I used whenever there was muck on the roads and it was fine.

The Duratracs are actually winter rated, meaning they have the snowflake symbol and qualify for the insurance winter tire discounts. I don't think the KO2's are winter rated, which would be the deciding factor for me.

Ko2s have the snowflake, Firm. Again, they were so good I ran my F-150 in RWD for most of the winter.

How are the Duratracs and KO2s on ice though? The snow is fine, it's ice that's causing me grief. I might have to go studded next time.

Duratracs & KO2's aren't as good on ice as your Blizzaks are. And if you found the Blizzaks to be sh!t, then you need to go with studded tires.

So, maybe sell the Blizzaks since they can't be studded, then get studded winters & a set of LT rated all seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 11:41:36 am »

Just breaking your balls man.

I like the brown truck.
I like the brown also, the rims not at all

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 11:56:04 am »

Duratracs & KO2's aren't as good on ice as your Blizzaks are. And if you found the Blizzaks to be sh!t, then you need to go with studded tires.

So, maybe sell the Blizzaks since they can't be studded, then get studded winters & a set of LT rated all seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Not selling the Blizzaks for sure.

I had Nordman WRs before and thought they were decent when I lived in Kelowna. Maybe the Finns know how to make better winter and all weather tires.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 12:42:16 pm »
So this is officially my plan, buy all weather tires and hang on to my Blizzaks until I've had time to use my all weathers in the snow. If I decide that the all weather tires are unable to handle Edmonton's winters, I can get the Blizzaks back on steel wheels and just run the all weathers as my summer set, if not sell them. On the plus side, the all weathers would get me through a freak summer blizzard on the Coquihalla highway which does happen.

Just deciding on the tire now.

Highway all weathers:
Nokian WRG3 SUV (Best winter performance, looks like a winter tire though)
Nordman WR SUV (only 65,000km of treadwear so likely not)

All terrain all weathers:
Nokian Rotiiva AT (Second best all round performance)
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
Sumitomo Encounter AT (Top all round performance)
BFGoodrich K02 ($$$ and $75 off doesn't apply)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 01:19:56 pm »
Ok I have an appointment for the Rotiiva ATs tomorrow. $198 a tire with my company discount minus $12.50 a tire manufacturer's discount minus $75 a set of four Kal Tire discount plus mount balance and four wheel alignment if required $930 + tax.

Nokian's promotional video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnbhGENcnzM

Off roading review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9lRZfjmCL0

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 01:25:48 pm »
The Big Tree sucks on the glare ice we had all winter thanks to so much freezing rain. It’s heavy.  Whenever I take the Corolla out in the winter I’m shocked at how it just bites down and stops. The highlander has sooooo much more momentum to deal with.  I have to drive the suv with more care in terms of stopping, and something as heavy as the Sequoia would be more-so.

The best stopping winter vehicle I’ve ever had was the Forester. Heavier (slightly) than the Corolla and other compacts we’ve had, but the car could stop in the winter like nothing else.  The Low center of gravity and extra weight over the rear axle thanks to the AWD components really gave that thing secure ice braking. The highlander has a better abs system but it’s extra heft means it can’t match the Scoob.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2019, 01:28:07 pm »
Two sets of Nokians bought by the forum in two days.  Madness.

And my experience mirrors Johns, the Golf, even with its Blizzaks on their 2nd season (HL's are new), stops way faster than the HL. 800lbs of extra weight will do that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:29:52 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:57 pm »
The Big Tree sucks on the glare ice we had all winter thanks to so much freezing rain. It’s heavy.  Whenever I take the Corolla out in the winter I’m shocked at how it just bites down and stops. The highlander has sooooo much more momentum to deal with.  I have to drive the suv with more care in terms of stopping, and something as heavy as the Sequoia would be more-so.

The best stopping winter vehicle I’ve ever had was the Forester. Heavier (slightly) than the Corolla and other compacts we’ve had, but the car could stop in the winter like nothing else.  The Low center of gravity and extra weight over the rear axle thanks to the AWD components really gave that thing secure ice braking. The highlander has a better abs system but it’s extra heft means it can’t match the Scoob.

Yea it's not great.

My brother is thinking of trading in his Venza FWD I-4 that has close to 250k on it though and he'll sell it to me for $1,000 above dealer trade in (estimated $2,000-3,000), so it's tempting. No it doesn't have AWD but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Two sets of Nokians bought by the forum in two days.  Madness.

And my experience mirrors Johns, the Golf, even with its Blizzaks on their 2nd season (HL's are new), stops way faster than the HL. 800lbs of extra weight will do that.

Haha, things tend to happen in groups on this forum.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 01:41:25 pm »
^^^ It’s not that hard to get into trouble with the highlander on those Blizzaks as acceleration traction is so freaking amazing.  I have to remember not to get too much speed up.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »
^^^ It’s not that hard to get into trouble with the highlander on those Blizzaks as acceleration traction is so freaking amazing.  I have to remember not to get too much speed up.

In 4WD, the Sequoia is not bad. But as you said, I have to remind myself that the braking isn't there.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2019, 02:57:58 pm »
Wow, the Rotiiva AT has aramid in the sidewall, did not expect that.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2019, 03:14:45 pm »
My brother is thinking of trading in his Venza FWD I-4 that has close to 250k on it though and he'll sell it to me for $1,000 above dealer trade in (estimated $2,000-3,000), so it's tempting. No it doesn't have AWD but I don't think it'll be an issue.

A brother should just be selling it to you for the trade-in benefit he gets from it.  I.E.  whatever the dealer offers him plus tax.  If the dealer offers him $3000, it is worth $3150 after GST.  You guys still don't have a PST in Alberta, right?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Summers for the Sequoia
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2019, 03:18:50 pm »

A brother should just be selling it to you for the trade-in benefit he gets from it.  I.E.  whatever the dealer offers him plus tax.  If the dealer offers him $3000, it is worth $3150 after GST.  You guys still don't have a PST in Alberta, right?

His Venza is exceptionally well taken care of, and would come with two sets of tires. It’s getting new brakes and new spark plugs soon. I may have accidentally convinced him to keep it a little while longer but he wants to finish the camping season with it at least. He toes a little 14 foot trailer that weighs 1750 lb dry, sleeps 4, and has a washroom and kitchenette.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:34 pm »
1AR-FE four banger seems to be super solid.  The 4cyl FWD Venza would be a dog to sell, I can see why the price is so low. That said, the driveline has developed a good history and you'd get a lot of vehicle for not much $$.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2019, 03:35:18 pm »
1AR-FE four banger seems to be super solid.  The 4cyl FWD Venza would be a dog to sell, I can see why the price is so low. That said, the driveline has developed a good history and you'd get a lot of vehicle for not much $$.
But how many zone climate control does it have?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2019, 03:37:08 pm »

Ok I have an appointment for the Rotiiva ATs tomorrow.

Good stuff