Author Topic: Changing Tires on a sloped driveway  (Read 7358 times)

Offline Mari79

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Tireer
  • Cars: m3
Changing Tires on a sloped driveway
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:01:24 am »
This will be the first season where I will try to change my tires by myself for the first time.
Is it safe to change tires on a sloped driveway? 

I am going to get a 3-ton or 2-ton floor jack; is a 2-ton jack enough for the MDX?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:47:42 am by Mari79 »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Changing Tires on a sloped driveway
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:42:47 am »
depends on how sloped, i would say anything over few degrees of slope would be dangerous to perform work on cars.

if angled any steeper, i would not be able to rely on jack or jackstands to hold the car in the air as the tilt could drop the car.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:43:07 am »
I have a sloped driveway & do it all the time. Just make sure to use tire chocks to keep it from rolling. Usually a brick or piece of wood will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:03 am »
I would also caution you on the degree of the slope. My driveway is very abrupt so I have changed tires on the road in front.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 11:28:46 am »
I have a sloped driveway and there is no way I would risk jacking a car up on it.

I do my own tire change-overs. My driveway is double width (2 car driveway) so I park car sideways across the very top of the driveway where is it quite level. So I am not exposed to traffic on the street I change tires on one side and then turn the car around and do the other.

It is a pain in the ass but better safe than sorry.

Having a sloped driveway is so much trouble in so many ways. Water drainage worries. Car repairs. Even using a shop vac on wheels turns into a challenge.  I love my house but hate hate hate my driveway.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
What's with all these bots that are pretty convincing at looking like real people?

They all seem to drive BMW's this week.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 12:31:58 pm »
What's with all these bots that are pretty convincing at looking like real people?

i know...as if someone who owns an M3 is going to change their own tires...and if they were, they certainly wouldn't need ask about a sloped driveway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 06:24:07 pm »

i know...as if someone who owns an M3 is going to change their own tires...and if they were, they certainly wouldn't need ask about a sloped driveway.

Hey, I drive a classic m3 (now that is 18 years old, it's not just old junky crap, it's antique now  ;D) and switch my own tires.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:37:28 pm »

Hey, I drive a classic m3 (now that is 18 years old, it's not just old junky crap, it's antique now  ;D) and switch my own tires.
you're a rare bird...but my point was more about ask about a sloped driveway...if you need to ask about that, you shouldn't be changing your own tires.