Author Topic: Front Plates for New Brunswick  (Read 5517 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Front Plates for New Brunswick
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:12:06 pm »
So the provincial budget is being announced and details are trickling out and the only real interesting thing that came out of it is now NB is a no front plate province.

I've always found this rule to be kind of stupid as front plates ruin most vehicles front end design.  I don't have a front plate on my Golf R and my wife is always nervous driving her. 

Anyway, it'll likely save the province a few dollars and make a lot of car enthusiasts happy. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Front Plates for New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:04:38 pm »
So what is the annual price of plating and inspection for an NB car?

For comparison it's usually $120 for a plate renewal in Ontario, no annual inspections.
Mr Pickypants

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:25:29 pm »
I went from 2008 to 2015 with no front plates on my two BMWs....then I got stopped 3 times in the summer of 2015 about it and gave in and put on the front plate.  Good riddance.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:42:20 pm »
So what is the annual price of plating and inspection for an NB car?

For comparison it's usually $120 for a plate renewal in Ontario, no annual inspections.

Well this month our Santa Fe's registration was $123.  I'm not sure how much it is for a new plate (if I bought a new vehicle).  NB has annual inspections and I'm all for it as a lot of people aren't aware how unsafe their vehicle is until an inspection comes around.  Last year I wasn't aware our rear brakes on the Santa Fe were bad.  There was no signs while driving, no strange noises, but sure enough the rotors and pads needed to be replaced.  It's the only time we've ever had to do a repair because of an inspection.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:45 pm »
So the provincial budget is being announced and details are trickling out and the only real interesting thing that came out of it is now NB is a no front plate province.

I've always found this rule to be kind of stupid as front plates ruin most vehicles front end design.  I don't have a front plate on my Golf R and my wife is always nervous driving her. 

Anyway, it'll likely save the province a few dollars and make a lot of car enthusiasts happy.

I guess Higg’s is good for something. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:13:19 pm »
I'm going to recommend to our Premier that Manitoba's front plate be dropped.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:16 pm »
One of the few cost saving things the Tories did in Alberta that was positive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:05 pm »
One of the few cost saving things the Tories did in Alberta that was positive.

Yea..they wouldn't do it in Ontario...too much revenue making with plate readers in police cars...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:21 pm »
Yes, I don't think ON will ever drop the front license plates, however sometimes they do come useful... like in this hit and run episode.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:26:13 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:02 am »

But...but...what would the cops do with all their nice new plate recognition software!?  No front plates means they'd have to read only cars in front of them going the same way!!  I can't believe you're so against the safety of your fellow citizens you'd advocate for no front plates!!  What's next?  2nd amendment style gun ownership laws!!  :o FFS!!  >:( Guffaw.  ::) And all that stuff.  :P

Remember when we used to not have front plates?  Seems like such a long time ago...maybe, maybe the PC's will listen...then one day the people will get pissed off and stupidly vote the NDP back in, and we'll have plates again...I wish you luck though.  Please pull through with your threat.  I mean wish.  I'll even sign the petition if you need at least 1 signature to make it legit.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:40 am »
^ One thing me and Bubba agree on!
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 10:59:51 am »

But...but...what would the cops do with all their nice new plate recognition software!?  No front plates means they'd have to read only cars in front of them going the same way!!  I can't believe you're so against the safety of your fellow citizens you'd advocate for no front plates!!  What's next?  2nd amendment style gun ownership laws!!  :o FFS!!  >:( Guffaw.  ::) And all that stuff.  :P

Remember when we used to not have front plates?  Seems like such a long time ago...maybe, maybe the PC's will listen...then one day the people will get pissed off and stupidly vote the NDP back in, and we'll have plates again...I wish you luck though.  Please pull through with your threat.  I mean wish.  I'll even sign the petition if you need at least 1 signature to make it legit.

LOL, this is NB, where a Premier banned photoradar (after his car was stopped for speeding I understand), and another Premier was caught with marijuana in his luggage on a flight WITH THE QUEEN.

We're just a little different some times.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 11:38:59 am »
If you could only fix your snow fall,  fly to more places without having to go to Montreal or Toronto first.  Free the beer  and several other things...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 10:18:32 am »
At first I was really happy to see that this is coming.  But keep in mind that it isn't a done deal until the legislation gets amended.  Also, there is a school of thought that shortly after the front plate requirement is dropped we'll be rushing headlong into depravity like in Lord of the Flies.  Raping, pillaging and looting will become common and frequent in NB.  I, personally, am planning to take up robbing convenience stores and taking hostages.  Yes, this WILL happen.  Just ask the NB Association of Chiefs of Police and the NB Liberal party - the one thing that stands between a civilized modern society and utter chaos and depravity is the front licence plate.

But on the other hand, people predicted the end of civilization when same-sex marriage was legalized and again when marijuana was legalized and we seem to have survived quite well after those.  But maybe, just maybe, the front plate will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
At first I was really happy to see that this is coming.  But keep in mind that it isn't a done deal until the legislation gets amended.  Also, there is a school of thought that shortly after the front plate requirement is dropped we'll be rushing headlong into depravity like in Lord of the Flies.  Raping, pillaging and looting will become common and frequent in NB.  I, personally, am planning to take up robbing convenience stores and taking hostages.  Yes, this WILL happen.  Just ask the NB Association of Chiefs of Police and the NB Liberal party - the one thing that stands between a civilized modern society and utter chaos and depravity is the front licence plate.

But on the other hand, people predicted the end of civilization when same-sex marriage was legalized and again when marijuana was legalized and we seem to have survived quite well after those.  But maybe, just maybe, the front plate will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Maybe you won't see as many Seasonal Plates issued either. I hear they aren't very cheap relative to a regular plate and obviously  more restrictive.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »
Fiat 500L with a front license plate. :hurl:

Fiat 500L without a front license plate, so much better!  :inlove:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 10:08:46 pm »
Fiat 500L with a front license plate. :hurl:

Fiat 500L without a front license plate, so much better!  :inlove:

The car is so facking ugly , plate makes no difference

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 10:39:25 pm »
The car is so facking ugly , plate makes no difference

;D I can't believe they still sell it. :rofl2:

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 07:56:22 pm »
The pending law change in NB really hit home for me for I saw a Mazda 3.  I guess I've just tuned out how a front plate utterly destroys the looks of some cars.  But knowing that this is coming to an end soon, I really took notice of it.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:04:48 pm by Mike-NB »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 07:31:05 am »
Heard that Ontario might be next for no front plates.