Author Topic: Time to replace the 3-season tires on the Mazda 3  (Read 36258 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: Time to replace the 3-season tires on the Mazda 3
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 04:54:22 pm »

Really looking forward to the Nokians!!

Good for you! Let us know how you like them, the https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-zline/ is a serious contender to replace one day, my summer tires on the Volt (already have Hakkapellita R2 winter shoes)
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 03:15:16 pm »
Got the Nokians on today. $661 all in, and I'll get a $70 prepaid visa in a few weeks ($591 effective price).

Initial impressions are very, very favourable. They feel smoother/more comfortable than the Bridgestone Turanza OEM tires, about on par with the WS80S!!  Handing is superb - direct steering, minor but negligible weight increase, and high speed tracking is straight, unlike the Blizzaks on the highway.

Noise level is lower than the OEM, but it's not a silent tire. I.E. noisier than the WS80s at low speed (MUCH quieter at highway speeds though). The Mazda 3 is not a well-sound insulated car any way.  A decibel meter app suggested 76-77dB vs 80-81 with the OEM tires on the way to KalTire.

Overall, I'm ecstatic. Time will tell how quickly they wear, but I have no doubt that these tires are a UHP and have higher limits than the Mazda 3's stock suspension would allow in any event. A perfect match, and at least $200 cheaper than the Michelins.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:31:41 pm by No-san »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 10:33:10 am »
Ordered the same Wagner pads and Raybestos rotors for the Mazda. Plenty of pad left on the OEMs, but the rotors are quite rusty. Rock Auto had all shipped for $296, so the pads were only like $60 out of that amount. Might as well.  Have to overhaul/lubricate any way, so if I'm taking everything apart, might as well replace.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 10:50:41 am »
I still have to replace the rear brakes on the 3. The fronts were done at about 110k and the car just hit 150k.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 06:58:11 pm »
Got the Nokians on today. $661 all in, and I'll get a $70 prepaid visa in a few weeks ($591 effective price).

Initial impressions are very, very favourable. They feel smoother/more comfortable than the Bridgestone Turanza OEM tires, about on par with the WS80S!!  Handing is superb - direct steering, minor but negligible weight increase, and high speed tracking is straight, unlike the Blizzaks on the highway.

Noise level is lower than the OEM, but it's not a silent tire. I.E. noisier than the WS80s at low speed (MUCH quieter at highway speeds though). The Mazda 3 is not a well-sound insulated car any way.  A decibel meter app suggested 76-77dB vs 80-81 with the OEM tires on the way to KalTire.

Overall, I'm ecstatic. Time will tell how quickly they wear, but I have no doubt that these tires are a UHP and have higher limits than the Mazda 3's stock suspension would allow in any event. A perfect match, and at least $200 cheaper than the Michelins.

This is all very good to know!  I really dislike the OEM Yokohama Avids on my CX-3, so I'll tolerate them for another summer, but that's it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 03:05:03 pm »
Update:

Finally rained enough to test in the wet.

I'm slightly disappointed.  Very communicative before grip is lost, but grip is ultimately lost WAY needle what you'd expect based on dry performance.

Braking and hydroplane resistance is great - the only thing that disappoints me is cornering/at limits handling in the wet. Otherwise, fantastic tire for $200 less than the Michelin pilot sport a/s.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »
Update:

Finally rained enough to test in the wet.

I'm slightly disappointed.  Very communicative before grip is lost, but grip is ultimately lost WAY needle what you'd expect based on dry performance.

Braking and hydroplane resistance is great - the only thing that disappoints me is cornering/at limits handling in the wet. Otherwise, fantastic tire for $200 less than the Michelin pilot sport a/s.

The wet performance of the A/S 3 was almost otherworldly when I had them on my 911...

The best wet performance I've ever had in a tire.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:13:09 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 03:26:58 pm »
Yeah I'm regretting my decision slightly.  The money saved isn't trivial and the tires are otherwise amazing. My favourite aspect is that they're so light (17lbs each) so initial acceleration feels more spiritely.

I'm not tracking the car.  I just would have preferred better wet weather cornering (we're talking left hand turns on residential roads at 50-60km/h no braking). Can't say the performance is worse than any other tire I've experienced, I'm just so used to, as you put it, otherworldly the dry performance is.

The Nitto Motivo tires on the Forester seem to handle better though the Forester being taller does not. That said, the Motivos don't handle the dry nearly as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 03:33:56 pm »
Yeah I'm regretting my decision slightly.  The money saved isn't trivial and the tires are otherwise amazing. My favourite aspect is that they're so light (17lbs each) so initial acceleration feels more spiritely.

I'm not tracking the car.  I just would have preferred better wet weather cornering (we're talking left hand turns on residential roads at 50-60km/h no braking). Can't say the performance is worse than any other tire I've experienced, I'm just so used to, as you put it, otherworldly the dry performance is.

The Nitto Motivo tires on the Forester seem to handle better though the Forester being taller does not. That said, the Motivos don't handle the dry nearly as well.
I'd even take it a step further... AS3 is probably the best all around 3 season performance tire I've owned...Contis DWS #2.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »
You can exchange them if you bought them at Kal Tire.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 03:42:35 pm »
most of the time you get what you pay for - AS3 and DWS are both top rated AS ties for a reason, and their prices reflect that

I am happy with my Generals in the wet, good traction.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 03:47:27 pm »
most of the time you get what you pay for - AS3 and DWS are both top rated AS ties for a reason, and their prices reflect that

I am happy with my Generals in the wet, good traction.
Yes, I'm going to put those Generals to the test on the IS-F and see how they compare.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 03:49:52 pm »
I had Nokian WR G2s before and they had phenomenal hydroplaning resistance.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2019, 03:51:27 pm »
I love my Michelin AS3's. Excellent wet and dry traction, quiet, and quick steering response for a 3 season tire. One more season left on them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2019, 03:55:56 pm »
I love my Michelin AS3's. Excellent wet and dry traction, quiet, and quick steering response for a 3 season tire. One more season left on them.
They really do everything very, very well.

It would need to be a spectacular tire to be better than the AS3.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2019, 04:40:18 pm »
Yeah I have until March 25th to exchange them. I think I'm going to.  Shame...I really liked these types up until it rained.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »
Yeah I have until March 25th to exchange them. I think I'm going to.  Shame...I really liked these types up until it rained.
Over the course of the life of the tires, $200 is insignificant IMO....about what, $1 a week or so?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:39 pm »
I'm a little late to the party, but I had Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my 2010 Mazda3 GT and found them very good in the wet.  I liked them so much that I've had them installed on my Sonata.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Time to replace the 3-season tires on the Mazda 3
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 12:31:48 am »
The P7s sit close to the top in CRs opinion - for High performance tires....surprisingly the General RT 43 is top 3 in this category and top choice for All Season tires.

The Nokians mentioned here don’t receive a great rating...the Chinese Maxxis are about the same as them.

Nosan, what category are you shopping? I can send a screenshot with the top tires within it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:37 am »
The P7s sit close to the top in CRs opinion - for High performance tires

CR considers the P7s high performance tires?

Tire Rack puts them in the Grand Touring All-Season group, not in any Performance category.