Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Sienna AWD  (Read 5613 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Sienna AWD
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 02:36:28 pm »
To me this is the only minivan to consider, lots of space, comfortable, reliable and AWD....why look anywhere else. Cannot believe that people are under the impression that a Highlander/Pilot/MDX are "cooler" than this thing.
I often wonder if the Japanese brought over their uber luxury minivans if peoples attitude would change....

I doubt it, most people see these as disposable transportation units their crotch goblins can ruin with snot, gogurt and crayons.

Crotch Goblin?  That's a new one.  A true Albertan, you are!!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 02:38:38 pm »
To me this is the only minivan to consider, lots of space, comfortable, reliable and AWD....why look anywhere else. Cannot believe that people are under the impression that a Highlander/Pilot/MDX are "cooler" than this thing.
I often wonder if the Japanese brought over their uber luxury minivans if peoples attitude would change....

I doubt it, most people see these as disposable transportation units their crotch goblins can ruin with snot, gogurt and crayons.

Crotch Goblin?  That's a new one.  A true Albertan, you are!!!

Saw that somewhere and I damn near died hahahaha
Lighten up Francis.....

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 08:29:33 pm »
I always liked the term "flesh turd".  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 09:53:54 pm »
The Sienna AWD is superior to the three row SUVs in every regard save perhaps for fuel economy (it’s close though) and ground clearance.

Anyone that thinks the SUVs have better driving dynamics is fooling themselves. They’re all boats.

I don’t think we’ll see too many more AWD vans as it’s a shrinking segment, which makes the Sienna the clear choice for me as I’d want AWD. One of my ski buds has an XLE Limited AWD Sienna. Amazing ski trip vehicle.  The only bummer is that it can’t access some trailheads thanks to the lack of clearance. But unless you’re a regular to those spots, that’s not a consideration.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 11:25:25 pm »
my coworker just bought a new van and is picking it up tomorrow...he got a new Sedona...no, it's not AWD, but they come well equipped (he got the LX+ trim) for $35k...he's driving all the way to Etobicoke to pick it up.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:32 am »

Until the Pacifica AWD arrives?

Yeah, and proves itself not to have the traditional Fiatsler quality......

The Pentastar has not been bad so far. I haven’t heard of any complaints with the Pacifica or Pacifica Hybrid so far.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Sienna AWD
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 02:47:43 pm »
The Sienna AWD is superior to the three row SUVs in every regard save perhaps for fuel economy (it’s close though) and ground clearance.

Anyone that thinks the SUVs have better driving dynamics is fooling themselves. They’re all boats.

I don’t think we’ll see too many more AWD vans as it’s a shrinking segment, which makes the Sienna the clear choice for me as I’d want AWD. One of my ski buds has an XLE Limited AWD Sienna. Amazing ski trip vehicle.  The only bummer is that it can’t access some trailheads thanks to the lack of clearance. But unless you’re a regular to those spots, that’s not a consideration.
Yes, lack of clearance. One of the neighbors traded in their MDX for one. I'm wondering g if theirs is lowered as it sits really close to the ground.
Railton
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:56:47 pm by Railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 08:48:36 pm »
The Sienna is low. Clearance is very car like, maybe even less!

Personally, I'd trust the Sienna. The 3.5L engine is proven bulletproof as is the rest of the driveline.  They're made for the long haul.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:02 am »

Personally, I'd trust the Sienna. The 3.5L engine is proven bulletproof as is the rest of the driveline.  They're made for the long haul.

John, in the last 20 years, what are the least reliable V6 engines?  Chrysler vans have aren't known for strong reliability record, but the Pentastar engine which has been around for awhile, is fairly proven, especially after an update in 2012. 

I agree the Sienna and Odyssey are the safer bets.  But as fair as engine reliability, can't think of an engine to avoid? 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:58 am »
The larger worry is transmissions. They're so expensive to replace or repair now, ugh. Personally, I'd never own anything with a ZF made trans. Including a Honda. I remember years and years of BMWs with junk ZF transmissions.  Crappy designs, crappy components, no desire to change for the better.  Maybe they're great now, maybe not, I don't know and my bias is my own, but for decades I wondered "how does that company stay in business?"

Since I drive my cars to 400K, I'll play the odds that give me the surest bet of getting there without major issues.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 07:00:26 pm »

John, in the last 20 years, what are the least reliable V6 engines?  Chrysler vans have aren't known for strong reliability record, but the Pentastar engine which has been around for awhile, is fairly proven, especially after an update in 2012. 

I agree the Sienna and Odyssey are the safer bets.  But as fair as engine reliability, can't think of an engine to avoid?
we all like to rag on FCA, and they do typically finish on the lower end of the reliability ratings, but from what i've read and seen, the Pentastar engines are likely just as good as anyone else's...if i were buying a new FCA product, the 3.2L or 3.6L Pentastar V6 engines wouldn't worry me one bit.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 07:03:02 pm »
The larger worry is transmissions.
agreed...and i've had two fail (albeit, quite some time ago now)...it's also why i'm reluctant to choose a vehicle with a DCT as it's transmission (likely VAG aside, they seem to have theirs well sorted), when the time comes to replace my Rio5.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:03 am »

It was really, really hard to find a nice clean AWD Sienna in the Maritimes....I never found more than two or three available on AutoTrader at any given time.  I know they do sell fairly well out here, so that's a testament to owners not letting them go.

If I hadn't had my dad's babied Pilot fall into my lap, I likely would have waited for the right Sienna.  (Liked the Odyssey, but used ones were beat up, and I really valued AWD).

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 01:28:03 pm »

we all like to rag on FCA, and they do typically finish on the lower end of the reliability ratings, but from what i've read and seen, the Pentastar engines are likely just as good as anyone else's...if i were buying a new FCA product, the 3.2L or 3.6L Pentastar V6 engines wouldn't worry me one bit.

The Pentastar is indeed a great engine and a huge plus is they use a timing chain, so one huge maintenance cost is eliminated. I see many of these circling the dealer auctions with huge miles on them, the oil companies like to use them to transport workers. 6-700,000 Km is not uncommon and according to service history most keep their original engines.

I may be the only one here with LOTS of kids (six under the age of 14) and I've had all kinds of "family" vehicles through the years. For us, the Yukon XL/Suburbans are king. They have the most rear cargo room by far, can tow anything, are dead reliable and easy to maintain, safe, and above all its what the Wife far prefers to drive. I keep a Grand Caravan around (easy to buy for dirt cheap) for the teenaged Son to bomb around in and for short family trips. Our average with the Suburban was 15L/100km and the Yukon 6.2 was around 16L/100km, not great by any means but the brutes wold crack into the high 13's on the highway. I'd say for 90% of families a minivan would do best, for me it has to be a full jumbo size SUV.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 04:00:01 pm »
For us, the Yukon XL/Suburbans are king. They have the most rear cargo room by far, can tow anything, are dead reliable and easy to maintain, safe, and above all its what the Wife far prefers to drive.

The Yukon XL/Suburban has 1112 litres behind the 3rd row, this is more than the Grand Caravan's 880 litres but the larger Sienna and Odyssey is around the same at 1107 and 1093 litres respectively. The Suburban is also about 17" longer than the average minivan so it is considerably more difficult to drive in urban areas. Heck there are days my Sequoia is just too big.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 05:42:10 pm »
For us, the Yukon XL/Suburbans are king. They have the most rear cargo room by far, can tow anything, are dead reliable and easy to maintain, safe, and above all its what the Wife far prefers to drive.

The Yukon XL/Suburban has 1112 litres behind the 3rd row, this is more than the Grand Caravan's 880 litres but the larger Sienna and Odyssey is around the same at 1107 and 1093 litres respectively. The Suburban is also about 17" longer than the average minivan so it is considerably more difficult to drive in urban areas. Heck there are days my Sequoia is just too big.

Too big eh?  I see Grand Caravans in Barcelona!  Clearly you doing something wrong!   :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 06:05:40 pm »

Too big eh?  I see Grand Caravans in Barcelona!  Clearly you doing something wrong!   :rofl2:
204” long vehicles don’t fit in 195” long spaces. I could get my 181” long Mazda 3 in there easy but no amount of parallel parking skills will get a vehicle in that’s longer than the available space.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 06:25:51 pm »

204” long vehicles don’t fit in 195” long spaces. I could get my 181” long Mazda 3 in there easy but no amount of parallel parking skills will get a vehicle in that’s longer than the available space.

Then find another space. My Mom can't park her RX in her building.  So she parks it at a newer underground down the street. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »
Then find another space. My Mom can't park her RX in her building.  So she parks it at a newer underground down the street.

Yea I found a space eventually about five blocks away.