Author Topic: All Weather Tires for Hyundai Entourage  (Read 15348 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
All Weather Tires for Hyundai Entourage
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:11:44 am »
Does anybody have subscription to Consumer reports?

https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/all-weather-tires-offer-an-edge-in-snowy-conditions-perform-well-year-round/

Looking for the results for these all-weather tires I am interested in.  At the moment, leaning towards to the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReadyAll.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/goodyear-assurance-weatherreadyall-weathertire-4082725p.4082939.html

Costco doesn't sell any All Weather tires, well at least not for my vehicle.  235/60R17

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: All Weather Tires for Hyundai Entourage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:52 am »
What's the difference between "All-Weather" and "All-Seasons"?   ???

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:41:38 am »
What's the difference between "All-Weather" and "All-Seasons"?   ???

How I describe it in simplistic terms...

All season tires are summer tires that can supposedly be run in the winter.

All weather tires are winter tires that can supposedly be run in the summer time and also have the mountain and snowflake symbol.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:52:01 am »
Interesting.  So, all-season=slip and slide in winter and all-weather=squishy and noisy in summer?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:59:11 am »
Maybe, although I noticed the Nokian WR were heaps better than the stock tires they replaced. I'd only recommend them if someone was planning to drive less than 10k km a year and doesn't have sporty driving intentions.

Tire Rack did a warm weather comparison and the Assurance Weather Ready was bottom of the pack.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-result.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+WeatherReady

But there are a few reviews on Tire Rack and some glowing review on winter performance. One person did notice a drop in fuel economy from 30 mpg to 28.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:19:45 am »
Does anybody have subscription to Consumer reports?

https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/all-weather-tires-offer-an-edge-in-snowy-conditions-perform-well-year-round/

Looking for the results for these all-weather tires I am interested in.  At the moment, leaning towards to the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReadyAll.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/goodyear-assurance-weatherreadyall-weathertire-4082725p.4082939.html

Costco doesn't sell any All Weather tires, well at least not for my vehicle.  235/60R17

CR loved Michelin CrossClimate+ in this category. They seem expensive though.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:27:19 am »
My mom just bought a set of Nokian WRG4s on my recommendation. I’m not a fan of all-weathers, but figured they’d be an acceptable compromise for her.

I gave the rubber a squeeze, and it’s definitely not anywhere near as squishy as a real winter compound. But she says she’s been happy with them in the recent cold and snowy weather. Of course, her point of reference is the all-seasons she’s been driving on forever.

But she did comment on how the car (Audi A4) doesn’t drive as nice as it used to. I believe she says it feels “heavy and dull” now. Hopefully she gets used to it, but I suspect she’s not going to be very happy come summer.  :-\

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 10:47:02 am »
PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 11:28:57 am »
Michelin's advertising says that the Cross Climate is ok for light snow but not a full winter tire.

A friend of mine uses Nokians on a Jetta GLI  (the older one with the GTI engine ) and says they work well for her year round. But she lives in the city and doesn't need to drive in really bad weather.

My local tire store sells the Toyo Celsius  and say their customers who buy are happy, but most in Guelph still have proper winter tires.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:46 am »
FWIW, CR rates the cross climate first. Very little commentary on snow traction in the ratings.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 11:59:55 am »
FWIW, CR rates the cross climate first. Very little commentary on snow traction in the ratings.

By the looks of this tire it seems it's a regular all-season tire with possibly a little softer compound with a grippier, more aggressive tread, which is bound to provide more traction in snow. It's a compromise really. Noisier and wearing out faster in summer (compared to Michelin's excellent LRR tires) while not providing enough ice and compacted snow traction in winter due to firmer compound (again, compared to one of the best, X-Ice3's). My take on this: great choice for condo and apartment dweller who don't have room to store an extra set of wheels.
CR ratings may be misleading as they compare tires in certain categories. I'd like them compare this all-weather tire to a dedicated winter and LRR all-season tires to come to a meaningful result.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 12:01:31 pm by EV Dan »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 12:25:26 pm »
This is interesting, Tire Rack's consumer survey of Grand Touring tires, combining all season and all weather. All weather may get an overall rating advantage due to the snow sector ratings. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 02:54:25 pm »
PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much.  Looks like the Goodyears come in second place.  Tread life looks decent.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 03:26:35 pm »
For a little bit of background. 

The Dodge Grand Caravan is equipped with the Yokohama all seasons.  It's a 30 month lease, that I just use for work.  Towing the trailer, this past winter for snow removal of driveways I had no problems.  I may have had to drive a little slower, leave extra space, longer stopping distances.  But I made due fine.  Refused to buy snow tires for such a short lease.   If I was concerned, I would just hook up the trailer to the Entourage that has snow tires equipped currently.

The lease is up at the end of September.  I intend to use the Entourage as the work vehicle, and travel about 10k a year.  The all seasons need replacing.  So I figure use all weathers for the whole year. 

In the fall, looking to get a Subaru Outback (or something similar), with all seasons, and a winter set.  So I will always have a vehicle that has winter tires. 

So I was considering the Motormaster SE3 all season tire for the Entourage as a good value tire.  But the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady All seem to be a good compromise.  I know dedicated all season tire, along with winter tires are better.  But for a vehicle I only intend to use for 2-3 years, having 2 sets isn't worth it. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:26 pm »
I'd guess if CR tests these tires at -5 to -10 the all weather tires will rate much better compared to a winter than when the temperature drops

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
I know you're trying to save a few bucks, but FFS just get a set of dedicated winters, even a used set on steelies off Kijiji. Since you'll only run each set of tires for half the year, they'll last about twice as long. The cost will balance itself out.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 05:40:54 pm »
Where you living all seasons will be fine

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 05:56:42 pm »
Where you living all seasons will be fine

Agree they are fine.  But think the all weathers will be a bit better.  Been using all seasons for the past 2 years.  When I get back, will get a quote for both, and we will see.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 06:03:18 pm »
I know you're trying to save a few bucks, but FFS just get a set of dedicated winters, even a used set on steelies off Kijiji. Since you'll only run each set of tires for half the year, they'll last about twice as long. The cost will balance itself out.

Buying two sets of used tires from Kijiji would be even more expensive.  Take a look for yourself.  Would rather have new tires, with a 5 year warranty.

Not sure why you think I need winters, when I have been using all seasons all this time. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 07:00:11 pm »
i'm a bit confused here...you have a DGC on a 30 month lease, that is up in September?...does that mean you went through the original new tires in about 2 years??...in any case, can you not make the tires last another 6 months until the lease is up??...if you need to have newish tires when you hand it back in, and you are still going to give it back in 6 months, perhaps you can find a decent set of used tires on kijiji or whatever (for like $300 or something)??...seems odd to buy a new set of tires on a vehicle you are giving away in 6 months.

EDIT: ok, just re-read it...i think you are looking for the new tires for the Entourage (hence the title) and not the DGC...that makes more sense.

if you are ok with all seasons, have a look at the General Tire Altimax models...i remember when i bought mine, many people said the low level snow performance was actually somewhat decent (for an all season).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:02:19 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.