Author Topic: Goof of the Month: A Thump, a Clunk, and Nothing More  (Read 3661 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Goof of the Month: A Thump, a Clunk, and Nothing More
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:14:15 am »
Much ado about nothing.
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Goof of the Month: A Thump, a Clunk, and Nothing More
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:43:41 am »
good to see an honest shop...they could have done that repair and replaced a bunch of rear-end components for $1200 to an unsuspecting customer.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:53:35 am »
I'm really not a fan of those winch spare tire carriers. Cables rust, the winch can seize and the spare tire is left exposed to the elements. I'd much rather a spare tire mounted on the inside.

Kudos to the tech for getting it sorted though.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:25:23 am »
I'm really not a fan of those winch spare tire carriers. Cables rust, the winch can seize and the spare tire is left exposed to the elements. I'd much rather a spare tire mounted on the inside.

I agree, tires should either be inside or on a tire carrier on the back gate. This putting them underneath is a moronic idea.....as someone that had to dig a frozen/muddy/rusted spare tire out from underneath their truck would attest to.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46:41 am »

I agree, tires should either be inside or on a tire carrier on the back gate. This putting them underneath is a moronic idea.....as someone that had to dig a frozen/muddy/rusted spare tire out from underneath their truck would attest to.
agreed...while i've never had one, it makes no sense to put it there...aside from the exposed elements, when you've got a blown out tire, the vehicle is likely going to sit a little lower than normal, making it even more difficult to access the tire...just put it inside or on the back.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:22:27 am »

In Chrysler's defence, it's the only place they could put it and still have Stow n go 2nd and 3rd rows.  The tire is actually underneath the front row center console, you have to take th console out to access the winch mechanism.

Speaking of mechanisms rusting out, I guess enough old Toyota Trucks had their spare tire mechanism rust and fail, dropping the spare tire in the middle of the road.  Toyota Trucks now use a winch cable, and a safety chain.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:53 am »

I agree. Also, the one time I had a flat with my Explorer it was a real PITA to get the tire down.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:14 am »

In Chrysler's defence, it's the only place they could put it and still have Stow n go 2nd and 3rd rows.  The tire is actually underneath the front row center console, you have to take th console out to access the winch mechanism.

Speaking of mechanisms rusting out, I guess enough old Toyota Trucks had their spare tire mechanism rust and fail, dropping the spare tire in the middle of the road.  Toyota Trucks now use a winch cable, and a safety chain.

A couple of years ago a co-worker's Chevy truck dropped a tire right in front of me as he was pulling out of work.  He didn't even notice, I returned it to him the next day.
Mr Pickypants

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:59:48 am »

I'm definitely not a fan. I had a 06 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel hooked to our 32ft holiday trailer, 5 kids, myself, a quad and mountain bikes in the bed when we had a blowout, at 8:30 PM Friday of a long weekend about 50 km to the nearest town. The spare winch would not release it's secondary lock and we were stuck. My Wife was about 45 min behind us in the Yukon, we ended up hooking that overly heavy trailer to the poor Yukon (well beyond its tow ratings) to make the extra 80 km trip to our camp property. The truck stayed the night on a nearby acreage owners property till I could figure out the tire the next day. Ended up sawzalling the gizmo that holds the tire to the cable assembly. I learned to always run the tire down once a year and lubricate everything!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:39 pm »

I'm definitely not a fan. I had a 06 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel hooked to our 32ft holiday trailer, 5 kids, myself, a quad and mountain bikes in the bed when we had a blowout, at 8:30 PM Friday of a long weekend about 50 km to the nearest town. The spare winch would not release it's secondary lock and we were stuck. My Wife was about 45 min behind us in the Yukon, we ended up hooking that overly heavy trailer to the poor Yukon (well beyond its tow ratings) to make the extra 80 km trip to our camp property. The truck stayed the night on a nearby acreage owners property till I could figure out the tire the next day. Ended up sawzalling the gizmo that holds the tire to the cable assembly. I learned to always run the tire down once a year and lubricate everything!
I guess I should let the spare tire on the truck down , I have not seen the space tire yet , the truck is almost 8 years old  :rofl2:

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:36 pm »
Yep, don't like the spare exposed to the elements either. Its much more effort if you need to use it and it makes maintenance a hassle. I generally take it down at least once a year during tire changeover to check condition, air pressure and to oil the winch mechanism. The Acadia spare tire has some flimsy plastic heat shield/protective cover, but all it really does is add another step...
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:19 pm »
If I'm in no rush, I might call CAA if I have a flat in my Sequoia. Don't want to deal with it.

My 04 Sienna and Odyssey had the spare tire forward of the 2nd row, was a good spot. My 99 Sienna before that had the tire under the back outside.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:45 pm »
If I'm in no rush, I might call CAA if I have a flat in my Sequoia. Don't want to deal with it.

My 04 Sienna and Odyssey had the spare tire forward of the 2nd row, was a good spot. My 99 Sienna before that had the tire under the back outside.

Yeah, but on a day like today you might be waiting 8 hrs for a tow truck where you could be on the road in 20 minutes.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 01:36:10 pm »
One of the few things I don’t like about the highlander is the under body mounted spare.

I drop it every fall to make sure it’s working and check the pressure of the spare. It’s an even bigger pita thanks to my hitch being in the way.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 01:53:23 pm »
Spare tire on the JGC is inside where it's kept warm & dry... no worries for me there at least  :rofl2:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 02:03:11 pm »
Spare tire on the JGC is inside where it's kept warm & dry... no worries for me there at least  :rofl2:

that's where it belongs.  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 02:04:52 pm »
I still say hanging of the back on a tire carrier is the best place, its stays clean, dry, and it doesn't take up any room inside.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 02:05:54 pm »
In anything but a truck, sure the inside is fine.  For a pickup, I don't want it in my box or on the tailgate.  Underneath is best.  Inspect it and exercise it once in a while.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Goof of the Month: A Thump, a Clunk, and Nothing More
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 02:06:34 pm »
The only advantage to having the spare under the body is that you can get the spare out without unloading your cargo bay.

And that’s it.  (Unless pick up)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:21 pm »
I like the old RAV system on the tailgate but the bummer is the gate has to swing open to the side.

I like hiding under a raised gate if it’s raining or snowing at a trail head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk