Author Topic: 2020 Hyundai Sonata - easy on the eyes!  (Read 81228 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: 2020 Hyundai Sonata - easy on the eyes!
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2019, 06:26:29 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFSRuGUL7I

AoA N-line first drive.

I like what I'm hearing.
interesting comments about the new 8 speed twin clutch auto...it's an in-house unit using a wet clutch (like the VAG units)...if it works as well as theirs, it would likely be well received.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »

AoA N-line first drive.

I like what I'm hearing.
interesting comments about the new 8 speed twin clutch auto...it's an in-house unit using a wet clutch (like the VAG units)...if it works as well as theirs, it would likely be well received.

I :love: those wet clutch VAG units  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2019, 12:04:28 am »

AoA N-line first drive.

I like what I'm hearing.

I :love: those wet clutch VAG units  :rofl2:
it's Volkswagen Auto Group, you perv!  :P

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2019, 06:40:05 pm »
^^^ And I'm very impressed with their performance  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2019, 01:10:29 pm »
Throttle House Camry vs Sonata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5kAAGdx_k
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
2020 Hyundai Sonata - easy on the eyes!
« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2019, 06:16:45 pm »
Found a Sonata in my friend’s IG story.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2019, 08:27:17 pm »

Lovely interior in the Sonata. But the engine seems a disappointment.

Plus you can get the V6 in the Camry. These same guys said that engine alone in the Camry makes the car feel more sophisticated than the Accord...and the Accord is pretty facking good. Another review I read said they preferred the Camry ride/handling balance over the Sonata.

Camry XSE V6 for me. The engine is a true gem...had one in my IS350. Was fantastic...and should surely be as good in the Camry.

But would not fault someone for preferring Sonata cockpit luxury over ride/handling/performance.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:29:24 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2019, 08:48:08 pm »

Plus you can get the V6 in the Camry. These same guys said that engine alone in the Camry makes the car feel more sophisticated than the Accord...and the Accord is pretty facking good. Another review I read said they preferred the Camry ride/handling balance over the Sonata.

Camry XSE V6 for me. The engine is a true gem...had one in my IS350. Was fantastic...and should surely be as good in the Camry.

But would not fault someone for preferring Sonata cockpit luxury over ride/handling/performance.

Camry XSE with TRD package is a very tempting proposition, although Savagegeese found it difficult to put all those ponies to the ground (XSE V6). Maybe the TRD will have a different traction/stability control tuning and tires. Regardless, in everyday driving or in 80 to 120 sprint the V6 will be amazing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2019, 08:53:12 pm »

Camry XSE with TRD package is a very tempting proposition, although Savagegeese found it difficult to put all those ponies to the ground (XSE V6). Maybe the TRD will have a different traction/stability control tuning and tires. Regardless, in everyday driving or in 80 to 120 sprint the V6 will be amazing.
It's so smoooooooth and potent.

Personally, I'd skip the TRD package.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:44 pm »

It's so smoooooooth and potent.

Personally, I'd skip the TRD package.

I would too, if it was extra. But it saves you like 4 grand. Looks sharp as well.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2019, 10:17:38 pm »
Fashion Santa (Toronto’s Paul Mason) teamed up with Hyundai Canada this Christmas, and ditched the reindeer.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2019, 08:22:27 am »

Well if you're wanting a V6 with over 300 horsepower, a tiny turbo 4 with less than 200 horsepower is guaranteed to be a disappointment. I'd certainly prefer a V6. But I'd consider a turbo 4 with similar output. Which is coming.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2019, 01:36:03 pm »

Well if you're wanting a V6 with over 300 horsepower, a tiny turbo 4 with less than 200 horsepower is guaranteed to be a disappointment. I'd certainly prefer a V6. But I'd consider a turbo 4 with similar output. Which is coming.

The only downfall for me is the lack of AWD...otherwise its a fine sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »

That N version of the Sonata will be good deal quicker than the Camry no doubt.

I'd bet that the Camry will still be quicker.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2019, 05:39:22 pm »

Amazing?  Not really.  The Accord 2.0T pulls harder at those speeds.  Not sure about off the line but turbos, once spooled, can be quite devastating on a roll.

Having driven an older V6 Camry (actually an Avalon) and the 2.0T in the Accord, the 2.0T has noticeably more low end torque and is easily as smooth.

V6 will be dead after this iteration of the Camry.  Get one while you can.

I said 'amazing', not simply faster, which it may or may not be. In this case 'amazing' describes a complex sensory impression with the engine and transmission. I've owned/driven plenty of I4 cars, including I4 turbos and some with CVTs. IMHO this V6 Camry is hands down the driver's pick. "Get one while you can" as you said  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2019, 05:44:00 pm »

Amazing?  Not really.  The Accord 2.0T pulls harder at those speeds.  Not sure about off the line but turbos, once spooled, can be quite devastating on a roll.

Having driven an older V6 Camry (actually an Avalon) and the 2.0T in the Accord, the 2.0T has noticeably more low end torque and is easily as smooth.

I didn't think the Accord turbo was as smooth.

Nor was it as pleasing to listen to.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »
Fashion Santa (Toronto’s Paul Mason) teamed up with Hyundai Canada this Christmas, and ditched the reindeer.

While I'm not a Fashion anything, I just don't see myself taking a selfie in front of that thing  :-X  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
2020 Hyundai Sonata - easy on the eyes!
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »
The only downfall for me is the lack of AWD...otherwise its a fine sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Facebook post by Toyota Canada hints at an AWD Camry, but I hear it’ll only be with the 4 banger.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2019, 11:06:07 pm »
Oh look, official press release. Avalon AWD too? It’s mentioned but kind of like a not coming to Canada afterthought.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/about/news/get-a-grip-toyota-introduces-new-camry-and-avalon-allwheel-drive-sedans

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2019, 07:38:57 am »

I went from a V6 to a turbo 4 to a V6. No question the blown motor pulls harder and sooner at highway speeds. That's surely  quantifiable. Whether one likes the sound better is subjective. People will often rhapsodize about subjective elements in order to dismiss a quantifiable deficit.  And I say that as someone who prefers normally aspirated motors in general, and specifically V6s over turbo fours.