Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback vs 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
The Civic is ugly as an axe wound and the turbo motors have been having issues.

The Toyota looks and works pretty good.

It would be tough to pick between the Golf, Corolla and Mazda 3.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
There's something to that, no doubt.  Car ownership rates are dropping.  We're a more urban population and even in Canada it's easier to live without a car.  My daughter is an exception among her high school graduation cohorts with owning a car thanks to where she wants to live.  Most of her friends that still live in the city have bus passes and no cars.

The mountain lifestyle is certainly nice.

I didn’t consistently have a car in my name until I turned 25, heck I didn’t get my full class 5 until then.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
The Civic is ugly as an axe wound and the turbo motors have been having issues.

The Toyota looks and works pretty good.

It would be tough to pick between the Golf, Corolla and Mazda 3.

I did not know - what issues?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/

Oil dilution mostly. It's been identified in Civics and CR-Vs with the 1.5L turbo.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Looks like it is taking out engine top ends if I am reading this Feb 15th service bulletin right:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1axlDuGlYEPoRITKir13P1xfRsWiPcsFz/view

Would not be surprising, 0-20 oil is already pretty thin

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Maybe they should use Amsoil as the stock oil to help. 0W20 has been common in a lot of vehicles since early this decade.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I'm old school.  Regardless of the fact that I prefer the looks and pricing of the Corolla, the thing that makes it the clear winner for me is the NA engine.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
I'm old school.  Regardless of the fact that I prefer the looks and pricing of the Corolla, the thing that makes it the clear winner for me is the NA engine.
But you also have to go with the manual transmission to avoid the CVT. To me Corolla Hatch is the winner here with the looks and reliability. The Rolla hatch is as far as I am concerned a winner when mated with the manual transmission. I would take a NA engine versus a turbo engine any day.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
I'll take the performance and sunroof that the Civic has. I also prefer the interior styling.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
But you also have to go with the manual transmission to avoid the CVT. To me Corolla Hatch is the winner here with the looks and reliability. The Rolla hatch is as far as I am concerned a winner when mated with the manual transmission. I would take a NA engine versus a turbo engine any day.

No need to avoid the CVT.  Toyota uses the first gear that solves the "pulling away drone' issue.  It's one of the best CVTs on the market.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
I'll take the performance and sunroof that the Civic has. I also prefer the interior styling.

Your crew?

;D

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
If only!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)

No need to avoid the CVT.  Toyota uses the first gear that solves the "pulling away drone' issue.  It's one of the best CVTs on the market.

In theory... yes.  (and I was called out on that elsewhere).  The reality is, the torque deficit (if not the transmission), makes the Corolla's throttle response feel like hot mush compared to the Civic when pulling away from a stop. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Geez, could Toyota not have picked a better colour for it's presser!?  :banghead:

Yeah, it was bad luck on my part.  They have another one in the fleet that's the brilliant blue colour that'd I'd have much rather had.  A grey, winter's day with a grey and a brown car does not make for very enticing photos, eh? 

("I froze my ass off for this?!"  ;D )

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Toyota has some WICKED blues right now.  That eye-searing metallic blue on the Lexus?  This blue that's on a few Toyotas now?  Awesome!!

My "dream" retirement move-to-$$$-gas BC car is an AWD hybrid Corolla hatch in the blue.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Toyota has some WICKED blues right now.  That eye-searing metallic blue on the Lexus?  This blue that's on a few Toyotas now?  Awesome!!

My "dream" retirement move-to-$$$-gas BC car is an AWD hybrid Corolla hatch in the blue.

Just get the Prius, I think it looks good.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I forgot that they'd revised the looks.  I like it, a lot.  And a sweet blue!!

The Prius AWD is $29K starting price.  That's not bad!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

I forgot that they'd revised the looks.  I like it, a lot.  And a sweet blue!!

The Prius AWD is $29K starting price.  That's not bad!!
Would likely work for you with AWD, eh?

Although I think the RAV would be better for you
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Although I think the RAV would be better for you

It would be a tough call.  Depends on if we live right on the hill or not.  If we do (and I'm fairly sure will) big snow days won't see us needing to drive.  In fact, the opposite.  I'd still like some AWD though.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Browsing Toyota UK, yum, two tone and wagons. Also you can get a Yaris, C-HR, and any Corolla in hybrid, in fact the Corolla sedan and upcoming Camry (which is our Camry just not there yet) will be hybrid only.