Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback vs 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback  (Read 7515 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring vs Corolla Hatchback XSE

Read more.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Well, the Corolla certainly looks 100% better.  Why does Honda put waffle makers on the rear bumpers?  ??? Just looks stupid.  I'd take the Toy on looks alone.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Geez, could Toyota not have picked a better colour for it's presser!?  :banghead:

Not a fan of either interior, I'd take parts of the Toyota one & mesh it with the Honda's   :rofl2:  Exterior is hands down Toyota though  ;D  I'd probably go towards the Golf, Mazda 3 or Hyundai before any of these 2.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Geez, could Toyota not have picked a better colour for it's presser!?  :banghead:

It's camouflage brown. Hip colour for today's millenial hipsters.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
I am a millennial who likes the Corolla's colour  ;D. I'm also a rare millennial who owns a station wagon though.
I think you can't go wrong with either choice. I'd definitely end up with the Corolla between the two, the civic hatch is huge!
Fuel economy difference is significant too IMO.

I think the Fit is a better choice than Civic hatch overall. More practical at least. And it doesn't sound like civic is significantly quieter.

I'd have given the corolla a hard look if it was available when I bought. But AWD and quietness would likely have won out.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
i am not a millennial and love that colour which mazda 3 had it instead al the traditional ones

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
I love brown hues.

The Antique Bronze Mica of one of my Lexus was a beautiful color in the flesh...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I'd have given the corolla a hard look if it was available when I bought. But AWD and quietness would likely have won out.

After at least three episodes of freezing rain in Edmonton AWD is looking like the next air conditioning.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
My money would go to the Civic for the cargo capacity. It's surprising how much it can carry. See the Straight Pipes video where they fit 12 boxes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:22:34 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile

After at least three episodes of freezing rain in Edmonton AWD is looking like the next air conditioning.

My Mazda 3 has been doing just fine in Edmonton, but the bigger heavier vehicles definitely need it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata

My Mazda 3 has been doing just fine in Edmonton, but the bigger heavier vehicles definitely need it.

Yup.  The Corolla had little issues this winter, getting around fine enough.  I would not want a 2WD SUV or pick up.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
Judging by the parking lot at my work, most millennials have moved on to a crossover  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Judging by the parking lot at my work, most millennials have moved on to a crossover  :)

I agree.  Thirty-somethings are driving RAVs.

I have to wonder about Gen Z, the newest crop of adults.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander

I agree.  Thirty-somethings are driving RAVs.

The SUV comes bundled with the first kid and then never leaves once people discover its advantages and conveniences over cars.... It's just the way it is.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile

Yup.  The Corolla had little issues this winter, getting around fine enough.  I would not want a 2WD SUV or pick up.

I miss my 9th gen Corolla in a way, it was only 2530 lb and that thing was so good on snow and ice. I was trying to figure out why my 3450 lb Mazda 5 was a bit awful in comparison to the Corolla. The Mazda 3 at 2870 lb is better but still not as good as the Corolla. At least the 4th gen Mazda 3 is holding steady at 2800-2900 lb so cars aren't getting heavier.

On the other hand, I didn't think my Odyssey and Sienna were terrible, other than the little fender bender I got in with the Sienna.

It seats about a 100-200 with room for another 300-800 standees.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

There's something to that, no doubt.  Car ownership rates are dropping.  We're a more urban population and even in Canada it's easier to live without a car.  My daughter is an exception among her high school graduation cohorts with owning a car thanks to where she wants to live.  Most of her friends that still live in the city have bus passes and no cars.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3

There's something to that, no doubt.  Car ownership rates are dropping.  We're a more urban population and even in Canada it's easier to live without a car.  My daughter is an exception among her high school graduation cohorts with owning a car thanks to where she wants to live.  Most of her friends that still live in the city have bus passes and no cars.
In the urban centres in Europe, I tend to ditch the car and prefer public transit. On weekends when I head to Frankfurt/Main, actually drive to a P&R then take the suburban rail (RER/S-bahn). And yesterday when my car was in the shop, I got around Strasbourg all day just fine on bus/tram/foot even when headed into a suburb. When lights and traffic cycles prioritise trams and bus lanes, cars are the slowest way to go, and that's before you circle for parking.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

The SUV comes bundled with the first kid and then never leaves once people discover its advantages and conveniences over cars.... It's just the way it is.

Am glad we never felt that way...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
I am a millennial who likes the Corolla's colour  ;D. I'm also a rare millennial who owns a station wagon though.
I think you can't go wrong with either choice. I'd definitely end up with the Corolla between the two, the civic hatch is huge!
Fuel economy difference is significant too IMO.

I think the Fit is a better choice than Civic hatch overall. More practical at least. And it doesn't sound like civic is significantly quieter.

Article says 0.5L/100km combined difference more gas for civic, which for 24k/year driving is like $150 more. 

Civic also appears to be quite a bit faster in C&D testing so the 0.5L difference is justified.  Looks are a whole different story. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Civic for me please.