Author Topic: Winter Grime vs Touchless Car Wash  (Read 2076 times)

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
Winter Grime vs Touchless Car Wash
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:57:22 am »
As far as I can tell, all of the car washes here in Kingston are touchless. I took the minivan in to one on a mild winter day (it seems so long ago...) to get rid of the rime of salt and sand. The salt was removed, which isn't too big a surprise since it's water soluble. On the other hand, the other dirt was still firmly in place. I understand not wanting to have a rotating brush scour scratches into your paint, but is there something in between touchless and Brillo pad? Hand washing with a chamois is not my idea of a fun way to spend a sunny winter morning.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Winter Grime vs Touchless Car Wash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:34 am »
If you take it to a wand wash, you can focus on problem areas yourself.

Also, some touchless washes work better than others.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:00 am »
Big fan of the wand wash, after going to drive through places for many years.  You can really get at the suspension components, underbody and wheel wells.

In the winter I don't really care if it gets 100% clean.  It's going to get dirty in a few days anyway.  Priority number 1 is to get the salt off.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:24 am »
There's no better option that a proper handwash at home where you can properly hose out everything underneath. This time of year we don't have that luxury so the coin-op wash wand is the next best thing. Sometimes I'll go really late at night an bring my own bucket, soap, sponge, etc...then just use the wash wand like I would my garden hose at home to do a 'handwash'.

Touchless is OK once and awhile for a quick cleanup, but don't expect the car to come out looking spotless. Some are better than others though.

The DTS was super salty on the weekend, so I took it through a touchless (I believe this is the first time I've EVER taken a car that I actually own through an automated wash of any kind). It did OK at getting rid of the worst of the salt. When I got home (it was around -5, but sunny) I wiped it down with some waterless wash product and a couple microfiber cloths to get the residue off. Came out decent for a winter job on black car.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:28:01 am »
Big fan of the wand wash, after going to drive through places for many years.  You can really get at the suspension components, underbody and wheel wells.

In the winter I don't really care if it gets 100% clean.  It's going to get dirty in a few days anyway.  Priority number 1 is to get the salt off.

I will usually alternate between wand wash and touchless.  I like touchless wash because it has the undercarriage wash to get the underside of the vehicle that I usually can't get with the wand.  But then, with the wand, I can get inside the wheel wells, and do a little more detailed work. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:14 am »
I dunno.  I think bending down and hosing the underbody does a better job than the car wash.  I always found the underbody spray was cut off way too soon.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:32:10 am »
I dunno.  I think bending down and hosing the underbody does a better job than the car wash.  I always found the underbody spray was cut off way too soon.

You like spending a lot of time on your knees in a dark, humid environment, getting sprayed? 

Scaerio...calling Scaerio…   :rofl:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:37:49 am »
Well, due to knee issues I can't actually kneel, so I'm safe for now.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:58 pm »
Coin wash for the win. Usually take the Jeep and wifes work truck for a $8 buck splash every week to get the grime and salt off.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:33 pm »

You like spending a lot of time on your knees in a dark, humid environment, getting sprayed? 

:rofl2:

I might have a video from last weekend if you’re interested...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »
If I've ever been dissatisfied with a touchless, I complain and they usually let me go through again.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »

:rofl2:

I might have a video from last weekend if you’re interested...

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 01:36:35 pm »
In the winter when it's too cold, or when my previous apartment shut off the car wash water (i miss this perk btw), I just took it to any car wash that did a good job. Life's too short to worry about miniscule scratches from brushed car washes.

Here in Europe, Germany mostly has brush car washes only. I can use the self spray stations in France, but then I'm often rushed and generally the rules are you're not supposed to bring your own soap/brush. So I mostly just use the automated wash.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 03:32:44 pm »
I just go to the coin op place every couple of weeks, when the temp hits something above -5, and try to hose off underneath as well as the salt and crap, using only the rinse setting.  Once spring of some sort arrives, I'll do a proper wash.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.