Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 BMW X4 M40i  (Read 8202 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 BMW X4 M40i
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:02 am »
I’ll take two, please.
Read more...

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
Re: Test Drive: 2019 BMW X4 M40i
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:25:50 am »
I'm sure this car has lots of qualities, as highlighted in the review, but what does it have or do that the X3 doesn't have or do just as well if not better ?

I am not a fan of the CUV coupe style. Also not a fan of the new design. It looks like the tail lights of the GLC coupe were grafted onto an X3... It lacks personality and originality.

I don't really care for the gesture command thing. Is it cool ? Yeah, but it's another one of those things you didn't know you needed, and then you realized you really didn't need it...

And to top it all off, 80 grand and no Android Auto ? That sucks...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:56:38 am »
I'm sure this car has lots of qualities, as highlighted in the review, but what does it have or do that the X3 doesn't have or do just as well if not better ?

Nothing aside from the styling, which some people prefer. Kind of like the difference between an M4 and an M3.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:54:52 pm »
this vehicle makes me want to hurt somebody

needs to go away
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:19:19 pm »

Nothing aside from the styling, which some people prefer. Kind of like the difference between an M4 and an M3.

I beg to differ. An M3 is a 4-door sedan and an M4 is a 2-door coupe. Two different cars that fill different needs. If it's just you and your GF, you don't need the 2 additional doors, you go for the coupe. If you regularly use the back seats, you get the sedan. Basically, you get what you need.

In the case of the X4 vs. the X3, it's really something else. A CUV is supposed to be practical. The X4 is essentially a less practical version of the X3. What need does it fill ?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 01:36:48 pm »

I beg to differ. An M3 is a 4-door sedan and an M4 is a 2-door coupe. Two different cars that fill different needs. If it's just you and your GF, you don't need the 2 additional doors, you go for the coupe. If you regularly use the back seats, you get the sedan. Basically, you get what you need.

In the case of the X4 vs. the X3, it's really something else. A CUV is supposed to be practical. The X4 is essentially a less practical version of the X3. What need does it fill ?

Why don't you tell us then what need it fills? BMW is making them, and lo and behold, some people are buying them. I know, its a difficult concept :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:56 pm »
Status symbol, for people with too much money but don't want something everyone else has. You're paying for the exclusivity. BMW is happy to develop because the add'l cost of making this variant is little, and they can charge a lot more = more profit margin.

People are buying them, trust me. Otherwise it wouldn't still be here.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 01:40:07 pm »
Status symbol, for people with too much money but don't want something everyone else has. You're paying for the exclusivity. BMW is happy to develop because the add'l cost of making this variant is little, and they can charge a lot more = more profit margin.

And that is the niche being filled...next question

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 02:00:56 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that an M4 is less practical than an M3 despite being fundamentally the same car. An M4 also doesn't fill any "need" but people buy it because they prefer the styling of the coupe. That's precisely the same reason why someone buys an X4.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 02:15:47 pm »
Can't stop laughing at the less practical comment(s). Ya, because people buy SUV's for their practicality. 

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 02:16:21 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that an M4 is less practical than an M3 despite being fundamentally the same car. An M4 also doesn't fill any "need" but people buy it because they prefer the styling of the coupe. That's precisely the same reason why someone buys an X4.

Not entirely. An M4 is a 2-door coupe vs the M3 which is a 4-door sedan. Two different concepts, filling two different needs.

The X4 has 4 doors, just like the X3. It's just less practical. And it's not even better looking...

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 02:17:29 pm »

What exclusivity ? The X4 is only a little more money than the X3. It's not like you join the upper class or high society when you pick the X4 over the X3...

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 02:19:52 pm »

Why don't you tell us then what need it fills? BMW is making them, and lo and behold, some people are buying them. I know, its a difficult concept :)

Well that's my whole point, I can't tell you what need it fills... And I am aware that people are buying them, I just don't understand it... Just like why people are getting the GLC coupe over the normal GLC... Those CUV coupes are butt ugly, they are just obnoxious. I'm sorry but I just don't see the exclusivity.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:21:54 pm »

Well that's my whole point, I can't tell you what need it fills... And I am aware that people are buying them, I just don't understand it... Just like why people are getting the GLC coupe over the normal GLC... Those CUV coupes are butt ugly, they are just obnoxious. I'm sorry but I just don't see the exclusivity.

Then I guess the niche is "people who like ugly, tasteless, obnoxious, and less practical BMWs"  ;)

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 02:22:19 pm »
Can't stop laughing at the less practical comment(s). Ya, because people buy SUV's for their practicality.

Yeah, otherwise why the :censor: would you pick the X4 over a 4-series Gran Coupe, as an example.

Joke aside, I know not everybody gets a CUV/SUV for the practicality, but that's kinda what they were invented for, isn't it ?

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »

Then I guess the niche is "people who like ugly, tasteless, obnoxious, and less practical BMWs"  ;)

Then I guess we are in agreement. And to your point, they sell these things in droves, so there must be lots of these people in that niche.

It doesn't change the fact that I just don't get it.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
BTW, you guys will need to take some meds before this one, but BMW is unleashing the 500 HP X4 M upon the world soon...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 02:43:25 pm »

Yeah, otherwise why the :censor: would you pick the X4 over a 4-series Gran Coupe, as an example.

Joke aside, I know not everybody gets a CUV/SUV for the practicality, but that's kinda what they were invented for, isn't it ?

People just like different things. The sooner you can accept this and move on, the easier you life will be. People buy pickups trucks because they feel they need them to take one kid to soccer. So be it. Their money.  I've given up caring a long time ago.

BUT I'm still ticked off we never got a 340 Wagon. That would have been awesome especially since they are now upping the power to near 500 hp. Just think how fun that would be.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 02:45:59 pm »

People just like different things. The sooner you can accept this and move on, the easier you life will be. People buy pickups trucks because they feel they need them to take one kid to soccer. So be it. Their money.  I've given up caring a long time ago.

BUT I'm still ticked off we never got a 340 Wagon. That would have been awesome especially since they are now upping the power to near 500 hp. Just think how fun that would be.

I totally agree with you about the 340 wagon.

And rest assured I've moved on. I don't care, people buy what they want, even if it ruins the view. I'm just giving my opinion.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 02:50:36 pm »

What exclusivity ? The X4 is only a little more money than the X3. It's not like you join the upper class or high society when you pick the X4 over the X3...
4 is a higher number than 3...therefore, improved status..."Oh, you bought the new X3??  It's pretty nice, but we spent the extra for the X4."
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.