Author Topic: Need advice or suggestions for someone in need of major repairs  (Read 1182 times)

Offline chesterv

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: truck, suv
Need advice or suggestions for someone in need of major repairs
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:51 pm »
I have a friend in Brandon, MB and his sisters truck engine just blew.  She lives out in the country with her 80+ year old father, and she takes care of him and is the main source of income.

She still owes on the truck so she can't get a loan to fix it.  Apparently the engine is just completely gone, and it will cost around $6,000 for another one.

Not trying to spam anyone here...........I am trying to find out if there is any way she can get the engine rebuilt or replaced really, really cheap.......or if there are any programs that help people who need vehicle repairs and cant afford them?  She is hysterical that she's going to lose her job now, and don't know what will happen to them.

Any suggestions on what can be done?

Thanks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice or suggestions for someone in need of major repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:23:53 pm »
I have a friend in Brandon, MB and his sisters truck engine just blew.  She lives out in the country with her 80+ year old father, and she takes care of him and is the main source of income.

She still owes on the truck so she can't get a loan to fix it.  Apparently the engine is just completely gone, and it will cost around $6,000 for another one.

Not trying to spam anyone here...........I am trying to find out if there is any way she can get the engine rebuilt or replaced really, really cheap.......or if there are any programs that help people who need vehicle repairs and cant afford them?  She is hysterical that she's going to lose her job now, and don't know what will happen to them.

Thanks!

Tell us year, make and model for starters....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:56 am »
Just buy a good used truck for less, or a first gen Fusion Sport...they last forever.  Can probably get for under $6 and drive for years.  Can't haul bales though.  Or, sell the damn farm to someone who isn't 80 yrs old and move to an apartment in Brandon.  FFS, why the hell are they still out in the country, other than for the scenery or for sentimental reasons.  Leave sentimental behind...move.

Offline chesterv

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:40:14 am »

Thanks!

Tell us year, make and model for starters....

I know it's a toyota truck.  Don't know the year.  Friend is too busy right now trying to keep his sister from freaking out.

Offline chesterv

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:49 am »
Just buy a good used truck for less, or a first gen Fusion Sport...they last forever.  Can probably get for under $6 and drive for years.  Can't haul bales though.  Or, sell the damn farm to someone who isn't 80 yrs old and move to an apartment in Brandon.  FFS, why the hell are they still out in the country, other than for the scenery or for sentimental reasons.  Leave sentimental behind...move.

They are poor and she takes care of her father and herself living paycheck to paycheck like millions of others.
If they had money to move, she would have the money to fix the truck.

>:(

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:04 am »
Junkyard motor from a similar truck - can be a bit of a gamble though

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:00 am »
Junkyard motor from a similar truck - can be a bit of a gamble though

This is the best option - reputable junkyards often offer warranties on large components like engines too. Find a local shop (probably better luck with an independently owned shop) willing to swap the engines for her and they'll probably help with sourcing the used engine too.

BTW; Toyota Truck with a bad engine...that never happens?  :rofl2: