Author Topic: Miata  (Read 4548 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Re: Miata
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:07 pm »
I'm with Jon and Steve on this one, depends on where you live and whether you have to drive it everyday in the winter, like you have to get to work with it.
Even where I am in Eastern Ontario for at least a 4 month period I would much rather drive a winter beater with AWD, ground clearance, and room for my big feet and boots.   While I guess I could drive my Miata, I would rather not on most days between November and April.

That is my thought. However I don't have to wear big boots ( I can get away with Blundstone's) and the winters here are not too bad and my drive is about 90% scenic hwy and back road (about 100Km round trip). I was talking with a good buddy of mine that's been driving a Miata for the past 10 years and he never had any issues due to the almost 50/50 balance of the car and good winter tires. Just not really sure that the soft top will keep me warm enough in the one week of -15 we get yearly. Yes I hate winter and cold weather.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:21:21 pm by sszoomzoom »

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »
How much deposit did your dealer asked for? Is that refundable?
My dealer asked for 2000 but I convinced them that 1000 should be enough and they agreed but it’s not refundable if I change my mind in August.

I put down $1,000
I wouldn't expect to get that $ back if I had changed my mind.

Congrats on getting one.
Did you order the hard top version? How much did your dealership told you will cost?
I was told by my dealership the will be for the soft top around 45000 and I find that price a bit high when the GT version is 42000.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 12:21:29 pm »
How much deposit did your dealer asked for? Is that refundable?
My dealer asked for 2000 but I convinced them that 1000 should be enough and they agreed but it’s not refundable if I change my mind in August.

I put down $1,000
I wouldn't expect to get that $ back if I had changed my mind.

Congrats on getting one.
Did you order the hard top version? How much did your dealership told you will cost?
I was told by my dealership the will be for the soft top around 45000 and I find that price a bit high when the GT version is 42000.
Anything "special edition" isn't going to be budget friendly unfortunately.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:42 pm »
Congrats on getting one.

I have soft top.  I bought mine in Oct 2015 so the fabric top was only choice at that time, the hard top came a year or so later.
I'd still would have bought the soft top if given the choice.

My GT listed at $41,xxx if I recall.

Anything "special edition" isn't going to be budget friendly unfortunately.

True, but... I bought mine just as the ND was coming out and negotiated a roughly $1,000 discount... i'd have to look through my paperwork to confirm the amount but I think it was around $1,200.
I used Car Cost Canada info,  went to dealer and said i'm ready to buy right now if we can land on a price about half way between dealer cost and MSRP.  Deal done in 15 minutes.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 01:26:07 pm »
Just not really sure that the soft top will keep me warm enough in the one week of -15 we get yearly. Yes I hate winter and cold weather.

You'd be fine here I think.  The interior is pretty tiny, so not much space to heat, and the heater cranks it out. 
Plus butt-warmers are there too.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 02:43:55 pm »
I'm with Jon and Steve on this one, depends on where you live and whether you have to drive it everyday in the winter, like you have to get to work with it.
Even where I am in Eastern Ontario for at least a 4 month period I would much rather drive a winter beater with AWD, ground clearance, and room for my big feet and boots.   While I guess I could drive my Miata, I would rather not on most days between November and April.

Add me to that!  I would definitely get a beater for the winters around here.  Just found another reason this morning i never even considered.  I was stopped at a traffic light and sitting directly underneath an major overpass when the plow came down the overpass and dumped a huge load on my truck.  Just sitting there in my quiet cab, then all of a sudden KASPLASH and instantly a huge load of dirtly, slushy snow full of rocks was dumped on me just like that!  Scared the bejezus out of me and the lady sitting beside me in the minivan.  I don't thing a soft top would have held up too well with that deluge of :censor: snow! 

Now, if I lived in the Okanagan Valley i would probably consider driving a roadster all year, but i haven't spent too much time there during the winter.  My wife's brother lives in Kelowna and he says the winters are quite mild compared to here. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:46:02 pm by KD »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:48 pm »
Yes, certainly depends where you live.

The IS-F isn't what I'd call capable winter vehicle. But I got through about 4" of snow (6" in some areas) before the plows came drama free. I can't imagine a Miata being any worse.

But once the plows come, it's no issue. Roads are mostly clear.

I guess it depends how good the plows are out your way and how quickly they keep the roads clear to a reasonable level.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 12:13:01 pm »
Saw an R8 on snows coated with salt near the office. Don't think it's a winter beater  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist