Author Topic: Miata  (Read 4547 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Miata
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:09 am »
So I have my name on a 2019 MX5 30th Anniversary Edition. It is a soft top with 6MT. Built in for June and delivery sometime in August.
This will be my DD and I pt about 24000 km a year.
My conundrum is that I am not sure that this car should be used as a DD but rather as a enjoyable toy.
I am torn with my decision as part of me says don't think about it and just enjoy and then the practical side takes over and says I should not do it and just stay with the current Mazda 3.
What do you guys think?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Miata
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:33 am »
Since this is not just a regular Miata but an anniversary edition, I would honestly look at a winter beater just to save the vehicle from the rocks, salt, ice, stupid drivers that are associated with winter. Maybe buy a cheaper, older Miata as a DD  ;D

perfect balance of Miata and year round capability
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:12 am »
Its a mass produced car that will enjoy higher than average re-sale value no matter what. Drive it, enjoy it!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:40 am »
Keep the 3 for the days you don't want to drive the MX-5?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:07:00 pm »
Couldn't imagine buying a Miata and not driving it as much as possible, even in the winter. This isn't some Barrett Jackson vintage Ferrari GTO that appreciates better than my house.

If you live in a place that gets big pow days, I'd have a beater to use until the roads and plowed and back to normal again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
Yep...unless the snow is too deep, drive it. Snow too deep? Take your beater.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:27 pm »
serious question.   does someone actually make a lift kit for miata?

there's a used Fiata locally that i'm kinda interested in.  2~3 years old, exactly half price of new miata GS with leather. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:14 pm »
serious question.   does someone actually make a lift kit for miata?

there's a used Fiata locally that i'm kinda interested in.  2~3 years old, exactly half price of new miata GS with leather.

You bet your bibi babka someone makes a lift kit

https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »
I think the decision to winter drive it or not depends on your local situation.  Winter driving a nice car here is painful. We don't use as much salt as parts of Ontario but we do use rocks, so your car looks like it was subject to machine gun fire at the end of each winter.

The lack of plowing on many streets can lead to severe ruts making low cars like the Miata difficult to get around in.

I will say that perhaps this winter could have been one to use a Miata through. We've had some of the iciest streets I can recall, and for some reason a shockingly low amount of salt, sand or rocks. The city just seems to be going with "good luck out there."

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:09:11 pm »
One could get away with driving that car in Victoria or Vancouver year round if you want to drive something like that full time with no other substitute.  But these cars are best enjoyed part time; May 1st thru October 31st generally.  Something to look forward to every spring.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:37:17 pm »
So I have my name on a 2019 MX5 30th Anniversary Edition. It is a soft top with 6MT. Built in for June and delivery sometime in August.
My conundrum is that I am not sure that this car should be used as a DD but rather as a enjoyable toy.
I am torn with my decision as part of me says don't think about it and just enjoy and then the practical side takes over and says I should not do it and just stay with the current Mazda 3.
What do you guys think?

Awesome!! Congrats   :drive:  - i also ordered mine.  It's the way to go to get exactly what you want.
For the question of whether to dd this all year... i agree with John.
For me, I would not want to dd this in winter for a couple of reasons:

One is because of the weather we have had around here the last few weeks.  We have had a few good snow and ice dumps - the unplowed side streets would be a challenge.  Lots of unpleasant things happening to undercarriage (just under 7 inches between road and bottom of door jamb, i just went out to garage and measured it) combined with not a lot of forward movement.

Second is because there isn't a lot of room in the footwell.  It would suck with any kind of boots, especially with 3 pedals.

The other is just one of those things you can't really describe.  For me a big part of the MX-5's appeal is top down fun in nice weather.  Going for an early morning or evening top down blast on a nice day on some quiet roads is sublime. 
It sucks putting it away for the winter, but looking forward to that first drive in the spring is part of the fun of owning one of these things.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:52:43 pm »
Some of you talk like we get 6 months of winter. I know it feels like that but hardly in SW Ontario. If I can ride my racing bicycle on 25mm tires then a Miata would be super easy. I would have been out cycling last Sunday if I wasn't busy doing other things but if I had a Miata I would have been driving it.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:27 pm »
What do you guys think?

Awesome!! Congrats   :drive:  - i also ordered mine.  It's the way to go to get exactly what you want.
For the question of whether to dd this all year... i agree with John.
For me, I would not want to dd this in winter for a couple of reasons:

One is because of the weather we have had around here the last few weeks.  We have had a few good snow and ice dumps - the unplowed side streets would be a challenge.  Lots of unpleasant things happening to undercarriage (just under 7 inches between road and bottom of door jamb, i just went out to garage and measured it) combined with not a lot of forward movement.

Second is because there isn't a lot of room in the footwell.  It would suck with any kind of boots, especially with 3 pedals.

The other is just one of those things you can't really describe.  For me a big part of the MX-5's appeal is top down fun in nice weather.  Going for an early morning or evening top down blast on a nice day on some quiet roads is sublime. 
It sucks putting it away for the winter, but looking forward to that first drive in the spring is part of the fun of owning one of these things.
How much deposit did your dealer asked for? Is that refundable?
My dealer asked for 2000 but I convinced them that 1000 should be enough and they agreed but it’s not refundable if I change my mind in August.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:04 pm »

IQ and I both use a similar type winter shoe for cars with manuals.  We call them winter driving shoes.   ;D  And you can still easily heel/toe.

Plenty warm, waterproof, etc..

https://www.amazon.ca/Fashiontown-Slippers-Womens-Breathable-Outdoor/dp/B077MP584Q/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=winter+shoe&qid=1550113875&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:47 pm »

IQ and I both use a similar type winter shoe for cars with manuals.  We call them winter driving shoes.   ;D  And you can still easily heel/toe.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fashiontown-Slippers-Womens-Breathable-Outdoor/dp/B077MP584Q/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=winter+shoe&qid=1550113875&s=gateway&sr=8-9

So ... Slippers, then?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:57 pm »

So ... Slippers, then?

Those ones are called slippers....mine are water proof and a gummy, rubbery sole.

More like short boots?  But they look nearly identical to what's in the photo.  But if you want to call them slippers, I guess you can.  They also made a version identical that had laces.  Looked more like a basketball shoe.  I didn't want laces.

And really warm!  Enough to wear barefoot in the winter if you wanted.  And slim enough for even the tighest car foot box.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:34:39 pm by rrocket »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:08 am »
How much deposit did your dealer asked for? Is that refundable?
My dealer asked for 2000 but I convinced them that 1000 should be enough and they agreed but it’s not refundable if I change my mind in August.

I put down $1,000
I wouldn't expect to get that $ back if I had changed my mind.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:08 am »
I know a guy here at work who bought a hard top Miata about six months ago (which looks absolutely fantastic) and he is driving his all winter.  I live in Newfoundland which is probably the worst possible place to year round a car and he tells me he hasn't had any issues so far. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:42 am »
I'm with Jon and Steve on this one, depends on where you live and whether you have to drive it everyday in the winter, like you have to get to work with it.
Even where I am in Eastern Ontario for at least a 4 month period I would much rather drive a winter beater with AWD, ground clearance, and room for my big feet and boots.   While I guess I could drive my Miata, I would rather not on most days between November and April.

Mr Pickypants

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:27 am »
I saw an NC gen one on Saturday with it's top down doing ~120km/hr on the highway... it was around -15ºC at the time, but sunny  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....