Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line  (Read 11149 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 09:25:14 am »
2.0T was late introduction, wasn't it?

It wasn't available in Canada until 2019 model year.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:30 am »
Why is the Lexus ES being brought up so much?  If I wanted a FWD comfy cruiser I'd just go to Toyota and get their Avalon instead.

I think one of the main reasons someone would choose the Stinger GT-Line over the FWD options (Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Lexus ES, loaded Honda Accord, loaded Mazda 6 turbo) is because the Stinger offers AWD, a hatch back (more cargo space), longer warranty, and same great looks as the uprated engine Stinger.

I brought up the ES because it's comparable on price and IMHO offers more to the driver than this 4 cyl GT-Line. Sure, some will appreciate the hatch convenience and another few the AWD but will that be enough to sell in any significant numbers? I've seen like 5 Stingers on the road so far, compared to thousands of C-class and 3-series. The 3.3T GT offers value in the sports performance category and the badge can be forgiven, while what the GT-Line offers is a better looking starting price that might bring customers in. Like a few guys above said, "saving" a few thousands does not justify getting so much less car in return. I think sale numbers will confirm that.

The ES starts at $45k, the same price as the Stinger GT 3.3.  The 4-cyl Stinger is $5k less and offers the attributes you mentioned above (hatchback practicality, AWD and true sporty handling and steering)none of which the ES possesses.  What's more -- and it seems I wasn't perfectly clear in my article -- the 2-litre has nothing to apologize for, it's a good engine that makes the Stinger GT-Line properly quick.  It's just compared to the V6 it feels and sounds like a let down, but at others have indicated here, it's unlikely most people are as nutso about engine performance as we car-lovin' freaks are. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2019, 09:44:58 am »
ES discussion is ridiculous, IMO. An ES shopper isn't looking at a Stinger as an alternative and vice versa.

That said, checked out both the Stinger and G70 at the auto show. I'd have to drive both, but I think I might lean slightly toward the Stinger just based on enhanced hatchback practicality and better back seat room.

In unrelated news, the new LS didnt make much of an impression on me. ES looks just as good and actually offers more interior space. And in F Sport guise is decently sporty.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:32 am »
ES discussion is ridiculous, IMO. An ES shopper isn't looking at a Stinger as an alternative and vice versa.

That said, checked out both the Stinger and G70 at the auto show. I'd have to drive both, but I think I might lean slightly toward the Stinger just based on enhanced hatchback practicality and better back seat room.

In unrelated news, the new LS didnt make much of an impression on me. ES looks just as good and actually offers more interior space. And in F Sport guise is decently sporty.
The LS is petty much the same price as the LC....would be a tough choice!

But V8 means I'd go LC!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 11:36:56 am »
Squeaks and rattles already in this long term update...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/14/2018-kia-stinger-gt-long-term-update-review/

Prolly a first year build issue...doesn’t detract to the awesomeness of this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sure would if I owned it!

Unacceptable when you're trying to compete against other luxury sport sedans.

Right - 'cause no long-term BMW ever had rattles or squeaks.  ::)  ::)  ::)

I have had 4 and each was solid and didn't have a single rattle or squeak.  Their interiors don't look cool, but I found the build quality and materials were top notch.  With the Stinger as mentioned there have been multiple reviews complaining about the rattles online.  It's not acceptable. Interestingly the G70 doesn't seem to have the same issues from what I've read.  It's a huge pet peeve of mine, I got rid of a 3 month old Honda last year because it had rattles.  Can't stand them.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:39 pm »
The latest Car & Driver longterm Stinger update this week continues on about the lack of quality.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »

In driving a G70 and the Stinger in the same afternoon, the one thing that really struck me was how much more "hot rod" the Stinger felt.  I suspect it must have significantly less sound deadening in the firewall making it an angrier, more exciting machine to drive.  Having that big backseat and huge hatchback cargo area is some really nice gravy.