Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line  (Read 11152 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:33 pm »

Maybe some people don't give a :censor: about power. Strange but true. Seems that BMW, MB, etc were able to sell puny 4 cyl engines in their cars. No different.

Yea...and people bought those because stepping up to the 6 cyl. was about $10K more....so yea..they bought 4 bangers...but I'm guessing they settled for a 4 banger and didn't necessarily want a 4 banger.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:27 pm »

For RWD only. AWD trim is 6spd IIRC. And they don't sell RWD GS here.

They did sell the RWD F-Sport here.....Up till 2015 IIRC

V6 or V8?

There once was a GS460 V8. Same engine as in the LS, sans direct injection. A true unicorn.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:00 pm »

V6 or V8?

There once was a GS460 V8. Same engine as in the LS, sans direct injection. A true unicorn.

GS350 F-Sport (and IS350 F-Sport) RWD was sold in Canada for the first couple of years.  2013-2014 IIRC.

I know they were both available here at least 1 year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:25:38 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:44 pm »

V6 or V8?

GS350 F-Sport (and IS350 F-Sport) RWD was sold in Canada for the first couple of years.  2013-2014 IIRC.

The market has gone downhill for driving enthusiasts. Ford is killing off the sedan altogether  :(
P.S. GS V6 Hybrid is still available, if you cross the border that is.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 10:34:05 pm »

V6 or V8?

The market has gone downhill for driving enthusiasts. Ford is killing off the sedan altogether  :(
P.S. GS V6 Hybrid is still available, if you cross the border that is.

I just went through the Lexus Canada press stuff.

GS350 F-Sport RWD with 8 speed tranny was 2013-2014.

Exclusive AWD in 2015-on

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 06:02:30 am »
3.3T or bust...i'd sell a kidney or deliver KFC part time to find the extra $10k.
I agree but I would understand why someone might go the cheaper route if they didn't care about 0-60 numbers and cared more about MSRP and fuel economy.

One things for sure, you still get a lot of vehicle even in base GT-Line.  I could see someone buying this instead of a base model Audi A4, Merc C class, BMW 3 series, etc.

Agreed.

To me 2.0L Stinger makes no sense. If I wanted better FE, I'd buy the new base Lexus ES with a marvelous (technologically speaking) V6 and if I wanted a better 0-60 times and no turbo lag... I'd probably do the same.
P.s. the V6 ES is about 7.2L highway IIRC while having over 300 ponies.

I suppose it will make sense to the people who will buy it.  People who like the looks of the Stinger and wouldn't be caught dead in a Mom's-car ES, and who can't swing the extra dough for the big motor (or don't place as high a priority on power as many of us do).  I don't have a hard time imagining a buyer for this car because I don't have a hard time accepting that others have different preferences and priorities to my own.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 08:35:23 am »
Why is the Lexus ES being brought up so much?  If I wanted a FWD comfy cruiser I'd just go to Toyota and get their Avalon instead.

I think one of the main reasons someone would choose the Stinger GT-Line over the FWD options (Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Lexus ES, loaded Honda Accord, loaded Mazda 6 turbo) is because the Stinger offers AWD, a hatch back (more cargo space), longer warranty, and same great looks as the uprated engine Stinger.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 08:47:51 am »
Yeah, I think people here overestimate how much people care about engines and power.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 09:35:47 am »
Why is the Lexus ES being brought up so much?  If I wanted a FWD comfy cruiser I'd just go to Toyota and get their Avalon instead.

I think one of the main reasons someone would choose the Stinger GT-Line over the FWD options (Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Lexus ES, loaded Honda Accord, loaded Mazda 6 turbo) is because the Stinger offers AWD, a hatch back (more cargo space), longer warranty, and same great looks as the uprated engine Stinger.

I brought up the ES because it's comparable on price and IMHO offers more to the driver than this 4 cyl GT-Line. Sure, some will appreciate the hatch convenience and another few the AWD but will that be enough to sell in any significant numbers? I've seen like 5 Stingers on the road so far, compared to thousands of C-class and 3-series. The 3.3T GT offers value in the sports performance category and the badge can be forgiven, while what the GT-Line offers is a better looking starting price that might bring customers in. Like a few guys above said, "saving" a few thousands does not justify getting so much less car in return. I think sale numbers will confirm that.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 09:48:41 am »

I brought up the ES because it's comparable on price and IMHO offers more to the driver than this 4 cyl GT-Line. Sure, some will appreciate the hatch convenience and another few the AWD but will that be enough to sell in any significant numbers? I've seen like 5 Stingers on the road so far, compared to thousands of C-class and 3-series. The 3.3T GT offers value in the sports performance category and the badge can be forgiven, while what the GT-Line offers is a better looking starting price that might bring customers in. Like a few guys above said, "saving" a few thousands does not justify getting so much less car in return. I think sale numbers will confirm that.

I'm not sure many are cross shopping the ES and Stinger though. They have very different missions.

The ES would probably do much better in Canada if it had AWD.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:13 am »

You mention sales numbers and I don't think Kia has any intentions on selling any Stingers in high quantities.  I might see one Stinger on a Kia dealers lot from time to time but rarely will anyone see more than a couple.  Where as the C-Class and 3-Series will be plentiful on their lots and be a sales leader for them.  I'm guessing that kia views the Stinger much like Honda views their Civic Type R, something they are proud of and sets the tone for the entire company but by no means is their "bread and butter" vehicle.

I think you under estimate how much people value AWD, especially in the semi-luxury market that the Stinger plays in.

I'm not saying you're wrong in choosing a Lexus ES over a base model Stinger.  I'm just saying that I can understand why some will choose that trim level of Stinger.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:16 am »

I'm not sure many are cross shopping the ES and Stinger though. They have very different missions.

The ES would probably do much better in Canada if it had AWD.
I clearly see the Stinger GT's mission, while I can't help but feel that with with the GT-Line that mission's objective gets a little blurry. I wish Kia to sell a ton of Stingers, for as long as they stay on focus.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:57 am »
It would be nice if the editor would talk with Kia and see what number of Stingers they want to sell in Canada
Maybe they were only forecasting sales of 1200 for the year  ???

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:59 am »
It would be nice if the editor would talk with Kia and see what number of Stingers they want to sell in Canada

for 2018, Kia Canada sold 1,682 Stinger's.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 11:53:31 am »

i wonder how many were 2.0T versions...my guess is very few.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 11:59:35 am »
2.0T was late introduction, wasn't it?

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 12:05:16 pm »

i wonder how many were 2.0T versions...my guess is very few.

they don't provide that kind of breakdown, but it would have been low anyway because it wasn't available till the last quarter of 2018 as a 2019 model.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 01:10:30 pm »
just announced
https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20190214/jaguar-i-pace-and-kia-stinger-take-canadian-car-of-the-year-awards/
Kinda surprised it wasn't the G70....

^ Yeah. G70 is very nice.

I'd probably be fine with the 2.0 Stinger. As long as the engine isn't intrusive.

At this point I think I'm down with an isolation mobile like the ES or late Lacrosse.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:12:24 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken