Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line  (Read 11180 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:38 pm »
Version 2.0
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Kia Stinger GT-Line
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:19:26 pm »
3.3T or bust...i'd sell a kidney or deliver KFC part time to find the extra $10k.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:24 pm »
3.3T or bust...i'd sell a kidney or deliver KFC part time to find the extra $10k.
I agree but I would understand why someone might go the cheaper route if they didn't care about 0-60 numbers and cared more about MSRP and fuel economy.

One things for sure, you still get a lot of vehicle even in base GT-Line.  I could see someone buying this instead of a base model Audi A4, Merc C class, BMW 3 series, etc.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:44:53 pm »
I agree but I would understand why someone might go the cheaper route if they didn't care about 0-60 numbers and cared more about MSRP and fuel economy.

One things for sure, you still get a lot of vehicle even in base GT-Line.  I could see someone buying this instead of a base model Audi A4, Merc C class, BMW 3 series, etc.

^that's where I'm at. I'm more into the fuel economy over brute acceleration - but within reason, still wanting good passing power and handling. The problem with the 2.0T is that it's not as competitive with those FGC 4-cylinders as it should be, all while still requiring premium fuel. I do prefer the looks and interior of the Stinger to the Buick, but from a value standpoint, i'd lean towards the Regal GS (which takes Regular and, if you're doing mostly hwy miles, looks to actually be slightly cheaper to run than either the Regal 2.0T or Stinger 2.0T).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:52:44 pm by lebowski »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 02:56:18 pm »

Spot on.  The GT-Line is still a good value and truly, a really, really good car.  And it's plenty quick enough for most drivers.  We -- the automotive enthusiast freaks -- tend to be a little power-hungry. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

Not even $10k!  The GT (with V6) is only $5k more!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:17 pm »

I agree, stealing empties to afford the full twin turbo V6 experience is definitely worth it. I know myself, and I would hate myself every day for not getting the right engine in the car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:17:58 pm »

sure, if you want the 3.3T welfare spec...go big or go home and get the GT Limited. :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:23:05 pm »

Agreed.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:49:17 pm »

sure, if you want the 3.3T welfare spec...go big or go home and get the GT Limited. :P

Meh, I could do without the fancy upgraded leather, electronic gizmos and HK sound system.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 08:49:20 pm »

Agreed.

To me 2.0L Stinger makes no sense. If I wanted better FE, I'd buy the new base Lexus ES with a marvelous (technologically speaking) V6 and if I wanted a better 0-60 times and no turbo lag... I'd probably do the same.
P.s. the V6 ES is about 7.2L highway IIRC while having over 300 ponies.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:08 pm »

Agreed.

To me 2.0L Stinger makes no sense. If I wanted better FE, I'd buy the new base Lexus ES with a marvelous (technologically speaking) V6 and if I wanted a better 0-60 times and no turbo lag... I'd probably do the same.

ES wouldn't handle as well though....plus FWD.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:55 pm »

Agreed.

True, but then what is the point of buying a sports car with a lackluster engine with output far below than what the chassis can handle.
FWD+300hp can be very entertaining when you floor it while trying to go straight  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:38 pm »

Agreed.

True, but then what is the point of buying a sports car with a lackluster engine with output far below than what the chassis can handle.
FWD+300hp can be very entertaining when you floor it while trying to go straight  ;D

I hear ya.

Plus the manual itself with the 2.0 is a turd.  And the 4 banger sounds....blah.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:00 pm »

Agreed.

I hear ya.

Plus the manual itself with the 2.0 is a turd.  And the 4 banger sounds....blah.
Yep. It's just not the same. Been enjoying the sound of my V6 in the past couple of days, it's on the second bottle of Jectron plus a set of new sparks. Very smooth.
Another engine I really liked was in the new GS but I suspect the growl was piped in through the speakers as it was originating inside . I could be wrong, but it still put a grin on my face. The GS needs two more gears tho.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 10:03:57 pm »

Agreed.

I hear ya.

Yep. It's just not the same. Been enjoying the sound of my V6 in the past couple of days, it's on the second bottle of Jectron plus a set of new sparks. Very smooth.
Another engine I really liked was in the new GS but I suspect the growl was piped in through the speakers as it was originating inside . I could be wrong, but it still put a grin on my face. The GS needs two more gears tho.

The GS is an 8 speed.....

You really need 10 speeds?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:04 pm »

Agreed.

I hear ya.

The GS is an 8 speed.....

You really need 10 speeds?

For RWD only. AWD trim is 6spd IIRC. And they don't sell RWD GS here.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 10:08:32 pm »

Maybe some people don't give a :censor: about power. Strange but true. Seems that BMW, MB, etc were able to sell puny 4 cyl engines in their cars. No different.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:05 pm »

For RWD only. AWD trim is 6spd IIRC. And they don't sell RWD GS here.

They did sell the RWD F-Sport here.....Up till 2015 IIRC

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 10:16:49 pm »

Maybe some people don't give a :censor: about power. Strange but true. Seems that BMW, MB, etc were able to sell puny 4 cyl engines in their cars. No different.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Not quite. I suspect most buy a 4cyl MB and the other two for the badge on the hood and they are often clueless of which pair of wheels is powered. In case of the Kia though? I just don't see where they will find a single customer to buy this 4-pot.