Author Topic: Teenager caught taking buddy’s Audi for a ‘rip’ at 246 km/h near Toronto  (Read 6522 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I cannot think of Main areas between Bowmanville and Milton were  it would be that empty
Cruising at 140 really is not a problem

Lots of places. Just comes down to timing and traffic.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
I'm not very familiar with the Toronto area, but I don't think where the incident occurred would have been a proper place to be going that fast, hence my think the accused driver should be jailed. There's likely a bunch of other traffic.

In the US I had, and still do, have places where I zip faster than 130 with no limitation (130 was my default). But the speed I then choose depends on conditions and other traffic. Sure, I pushed and maintained 200 in parts of eastern NC where there's no other traffic, at all. But generally to keep speed differentials/reaction times at a reasonable level, it was 150 in most places. People there just didn't use mirrors.

(lol and now that I live in a country with a few places where I can legally go fast, I choose a self-imposed 130 limit 98% of the time  :rofl2:)
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Joyrides like that have led to multiple fatalities more times than I care to recall.  Count me out of the aw-shucks kids-will-be-kids group on this one.

I never suggested he should get away scot free but rather I think putting the brakes (pun intented) on him being able to drive for a few years and a huge fine is appropriate. I dunno, a criminal record and going to jail isn't going to address that young boys do stupid things. Always have always will.

Of course people will disagree and that's fine.

I will add that some context would help as well. Is he an otherwise good kid who did something stupid? Is he a bad actor who had done and been caught doing dangerous stuff before. All this would play a role in how I judged this.

Being a 'good kid' shouldn't matter.

It's more important to be rich and/or politically connected.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Maybe he caught affluenza?

Won't somebody think of the rich kids?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
I confess...I've gone fast too.  And I've done it in stupid locations.  I was young, and dumb.  Like 160+ kmh in Winnipeg on Ptg Ave dumb...clear in front of me but still...I don't think I really grew up (oh wait... :P) until that one time I was impatient and passed a car in thick fog because "the idiot" was going too slow...not a second after I crossed the line back into my lane, a big old 1 ton dually with those boxes on the back, like a hydro or welder...went past.  Like immediately.  Like if I had waited longer than it takes to type the letter A, me and my 2 yr old woulda been dead meat.  I have never lost my patience behind a slower car again...at least not if I couldn't see around it.  ;) That stuck with me is all I'm trying to say.  Probably why I usually just stick to spd limit now...what's my rush? Nothin'.

But, that is not to say I haven't checked the top speed on the Sonic or F150, I just do it alone, and on a clear stretch of straight road with nothing coming or going for miles, and preferably in the US.  ;D  And then I can be done, since I know what they do.  No idea what the Fusion can do since it can go higher than what it shows, and I don't think I've ever even taken it as fast as the Sonic.  I just know it's faster.

For me it's always a little funny that (older) people are always so quick to give the "it doesn't matter how old...blah blah blah" as if they've forgotten how dumb they were.  And I have forgotten lots of dumb things I did (thank God I have a brother who can remind me or I wouldn't remember any of it, he remembers everything).  Something you did 20-30 yrs ago doesn't mean you're the same person today.  Mostly.  Like I said, I won't pass in fog anymore, or blizzards.  :P  It's for the better.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
I confess...I've gone fast too.  And I've done it in stupid locations.  I was young, and dumb.  Like 160+ kmh in Winnipeg on Ptg Ave dumb...clear in front of me but still...I don't think I really grew up (oh wait... :P) until that one time I was impatient and passed a car in thick fog because "the idiot" was going too slow...not a second after I crossed the line back into my lane, a big old 1 ton dually with those boxes on the back, like a hydro or welder...went past.  Like immediately.  Like if I had waited longer than it takes to type the letter A, me and my 2 yr old woulda been dead meat.  I have never lost my patience behind a slower car again...at least not if I couldn't see around it.  ;) That stuck with me is all I'm trying to say.  Probably why I usually just stick to spd limit now...what's my rush? Nothin'.

But, that is not to say I haven't checked the top speed on the Sonic or F150, I just do it alone, and on a clear stretch of straight road with nothing coming or going for miles, and preferably in the US.  ;D  And then I can be done, since I know what they do.  No idea what the Fusion can do since it can go higher than what it shows, and I don't think I've ever even taken it as fast as the Sonic.  I just know it's faster.

For me it's always a little funny that (older) people are always so quick to give the "it doesn't matter how old...blah blah blah" as if they've forgotten how dumb they were.  And I have forgotten lots of dumb things I did (thank God I have a brother who can remind me or I wouldn't remember any of it, he remembers everything).  Something you did 20-30 yrs ago doesn't mean you're the same person today.  Mostly.  Like I said, I won't pass in fog anymore, or blizzards.  :P  It's for the better.

You do stupid :censor: when you're young, and hopefully you learn your lessons, grow up a little, and stop doing stupid :censor: (hopefully by the time you have kids). 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Maybe he caught affluenza?

Won't somebody think of the rich kids?

:rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
so the article does NOT mention what kind of Audi it is.

i would be almost impressed if it was regular A4 or A3 type (or Q7 with 2.0) would require quite a long pedal to the metal to get to that speed in those.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Yeah, even pretty fast cars need quite a bit of distance to get to that speed. I had a car with over 500hp and it needed room to get over 200 for sure.

A hyper bike is a different thing. This is why I'd fight all day for graduated licenses for motorcycles. My bike could go from 100 to 250 in the span of passing just a few cars on the highway. You can get yourself into so much trouble so fast on those things.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
Hwy 403 is an odd ball limited access roadway in the Toronto Area. It is three lanes, plus HOV (High vehicle Occupancy) in segments, with numerous bends. It is busy 24hrs a day. I frankly don't like the 403, because there frequently can be a large spread in speed differential between lanes, and especially where the HOV lanes merge, I have encountered frightening instances where a HOV vehicle has attempted to cross three lanes of traffic to their next exit. HWY 403 can be a zoo at the best of times. Somebody doing that kind of speed on 403 is insane, unless the police got him during an instantaneous spurt of speed. Even so with the way traffic changes lanes on 403, that kind of speed is stupid.

Yes, I have done many, many stupid things when I was younger, but the roads were much less crowded forty years ago. Sorry, but this kid needs to be set an example of for his peers.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
^^ This. With the addition of the HOV lanes on the 403 has come added risk when driving it.
Agree as well that this young fella needs to be made an example of for his peers. I mean Christ...152 MPH?!!!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Joyrides like that have led to multiple fatalities more times than I care to recall.  Count me out of the aw-shucks kids-will-be-kids group on this one.

Well OPP doesn't keep stats on this.  Because I called and asked.

When I tried to determine how many people die in Canada from street racing when I was doing my research, I was only able to find 11.

You have some updated numbers?

BTW...no arguing that this isn't stupid (it is).  Just wondering.  Always looking for more info to (potentially) updates the stats I compiled.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:46:17 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
BTW....did I miss it?

What kind of Audi was it??

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
BTW....did I miss it?

What kind of Audi was it??

It wasn't specified in the original article.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
I am pretty sure that the non "S" Audis would be limited to 210 km/h   the limit for HR tires.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Hwy 403 is an odd ball limited access roadway in the Toronto Area. It is three lanes, plus HOV (High vehicle Occupancy) in segments, with numerous bends. It is busy 24hrs a day. I frankly don't like the 403, because there frequently can be a large spread in speed differential between lanes, and especially where the HOV lanes merge, I have encountered frightening instances where a HOV vehicle has attempted to cross three lanes of traffic to their next exit. HWY 403 can be a zoo at the best of times. Somebody doing that kind of speed on 403 is insane, unless the police got him during an instantaneous spurt of speed. Even so with the way traffic changes lanes on 403, that kind of speed is stupid.

Yes, I have done many, many stupid things when I was younger, but the roads were much less crowded forty years ago. Sorry, but this kid needs to be set an example of for his peers.

Damn straight.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
I am pretty sure that the non "S" Audis would be limited to 210 km/h   the limit for HR tires.

Could also be tuned: most tunes get rid of the speed limiter.

Haven’t checked the new top speed of my Stage 1 GTI, but I will someday. Just waiting for the right time and place. Can confirm that a stock GTI is limited to 210 km/h. :)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Could also be tuned: most tunes get rid of the speed limiter.

Haven’t checked the new top speed of my Stage 1 GTI, but I will someday. Just waiting for the right time and place. Can confirm that a stock GTI is limited to 210 km/h. :)

Kinda sad my lowly powerless Sonic is only 10 shy of a GTI, aint it?  Sure, a month longer to get there, but it gets there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Kinda sad my lowly powerless Sonic is only 10 shy of a GTI, aint it?  Sure, a month longer to get there, but it gets there.

I have my doubts to be honest....

I'm seeing 175km/h top speed...and I'm not ever sure it would get there.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Well...it's a digital speedo, and I know they're never 100% accurate, but at 111 indicated GPS says you're going 110...and I nudged 200 on the speedo so me thinks, and I know it's a first, you is wrong.  :stick: ;D  Doubt it's out by 25 on the top end. I'd go out and do it again and take a snap shot of the phone, but it's probably best to keep both hands on the wheel.  The truck, annoyingly, hits a wall at 160... :P :'( Sad really.