Author Topic: Teenager caught taking buddy’s Audi for a ‘rip’ at 246 km/h near Toronto  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
19-year-old faces stunt driving charges after February 4 joyride.
Cops have yet to decide if they are to press criminal charges. ??? WTF??? Ban the kid from driving for 10 years.
Railton
https://driving.ca/audi/auto-news/news/teenager-caught-taking-buddys-audi-for-a-rip-at-246-km-h-near-toronto
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
What criminal charges could they get him for?

Stupid move for the kid and now he has to pay the price. Suck it up buttercup. Also wonder how the insurance will be for the friend now?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Weels , why post a picture of yourself in this thread  ???

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
You'd be thrown in jail for that kind of speed in most countries. I can think of the charges......excès de vitesse, endangerment to public safety........
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
We all did stupid :censor: when we were young.

And very thankful that we never got caught.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Joyrides like that have led to multiple fatalities more times than I care to recall.  Count me out of the aw-shucks kids-will-be-kids group on this one.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

Stupid move for the kid and now he has to pay the price. Suck it up buttercup. Also wonder how the insurance will be for the friend now?

Dangerous driving.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
I managed to get my 86 Civic to go 170 when I was 18...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Joyrides like that have led to multiple fatalities more times than I care to recall.  Count me out of the aw-shucks kids-will-be-kids group on this one.

I never suggested he should get away scot free but rather I think putting the brakes (pun intented) on him being able to drive for a few years and a huge fine is appropriate. I dunno, a criminal record and going to jail isn't going to address that young boys do stupid things. Always have always will.

Of course people will disagree and that's fine.

I will add that some context would help as well. Is he an otherwise good kid who did something stupid? Is he a bad actor who had done and been caught doing dangerous stuff before. All this would play a role in how I judged this.

1. My post was not directed specifically at you - I'm not sure why you assumed as much.
2. My post didn't suggest that you had advocated his 'getting away scot free' - so I'm not sure why you feel the need to deny having said so.
3. Yes - any reasonable person would agree that an assessment of a proper disposition should be based on a full understanding of all the facts, including his past conduct - good or bad.  It might be that in all of the circumstances criminal prosecution is not warranted.  But I reject the notion that it should not even be considered.
4. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard criminal conduct excused as "he just did something stupid" I'd be a wealthy guy.  I disagree completely that criminal sanctions should be out of the bounds of consideration when a 19 year old is involved.  Kids much younger face criminal charges for property crimes where nobody's life was put at risk.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Dangerous driving.

even though I said what I said I can't really argue against dangerous driving either. Charge fits the crime.

Fair enough.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
A long time ago I got caught at 241 on a rural highway. The cop wasn't all that upset as the road was quiet and the stretch I was on had limited access and I stopped right away for him. The speed meant my car was towed and I faced mandatory court appearances for dangerous driving and excessive speed.

When he approached the car he said "son, you're a pedestrian."  Even knowing I was in deep trouble, I had to smile at that.

In the end, I hired a lawyer that ended up getting me acquitted and while his fees were probably more than the fines I faced, not losing my license for a year and the insurance ramifications were worth every penny.

Is driving over 240 something to freak out about?  No. Is doing it in traffic or other circumstances where you could cause injury to others?  Sure.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
A weekday evening on the 403 through Mississauga?  Guaranteed there was traffic - doesn't matter how late.

The fact that it was at night also compounds the danger.  Much harder for vehicles ahead of him to gauge his approaching speed - he's just a set of headlights.

Anyway - like everyone else here I don't know all the facts.  The cops will do what they will do.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Very few current cars have a speed limit set that high, so this wan't one of the 'cheaper' Audis    An S model or RS i guess.

If I had one of those no 19 year old would get withing 50 feet of it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I can't imagine any highway near Toronto that would be quiet enough at any time to go that fast. So much traffic.

I had chatted with Snowie about his romps to 220 or more, and he said he had to work hard to find roads where he could even briefly get to speed.

I've got a few stretches within about a half hour of my house that are long, straight, smooth and at 6am on a Sunday, a good place to go fast. He was jealous...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
A long time ago I got caught at 241 on a rural highway. The cop wasn't all that upset as the road was quiet and the stretch I was on had limited access and I stopped right away for him. The speed meant my car was towed and I faced mandatory court appearances for dangerous driving and excessive speed.

When he approached the car he said "son, you're a pedestrian."  Even knowing I was in deep trouble, I had to smile at that.

In the end, I hired a lawyer that ended up getting me acquitted and while his fees were probably more than the fines I faced, not losing my license for a year and the insurance ramifications were worth every penny.

Is driving over 240 something to freak out about?  No. Is doing it in traffic or other circumstances where you could cause injury to others?  Sure.

I maxed out my Civic Si at 214kph.  But it was on an arrow straight stretch of completely empty rural highway with nothing but empty fields on either side, on a bright summer day. 

There is a time and a place to act like a complete dumbass. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I can't imagine any highway near Toronto that would be quiet enough at any time to go that fast. So much traffic.

You would be surprised. Even though a lot of the times it seems like a giant :censor: up of traffic, there are many times where...I mean a friend of mine....has been able to cruise easily at 140-150 without troubles. Pretty sure doing a burst run to 200+ could be achieved quite easily. And yes, I'm talking about on any of the 4xx majors. Just don't pick 6-9am or 3-7pm.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5

You would be surprised. Even though a lot of the times it seems like a giant :censor: up of traffic, there are many times where...I mean a friend of mine....has been able to cruise easily at 140-150 without troubles. Pretty sure doing a burst run to 200+ could be achieved quite easily. And yes, I'm talking about on any of the 4xx majors. Just don't pick 6-9am or 3-7pm.

I don't think i'd push my luck on any 400 hwy... even if you find an open stretch the likelihood of an OPP revenue generator safety enforcer hanging around is too high

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

I don't think i'd push my luck on any 400 hwy... even if you find an open stretch the likelihood of an OPP revenue generator safety enforcer hanging around is too high
I cannot think of Main areas between Bowmanville and Milton were  it would be that empty
Cruising at 140 really is not a problem

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Oh I agree 100% but I'm sure there was a time where I was much more dumb in my youth and if I had the right car, probably would have tried it. I can think back to times where I was easily double limit on city streets which is even more stupid.

Now I worry more about speed differences even if the left lane is wide open when the other lanes are sub 100 kph as I know somebody will think they can jump into the fast lane when they really can't.