Author Topic: Teenager caught taking buddy’s Audi for a ‘rip’ at 246 km/h near Toronto  (Read 6517 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Well...it's a digital speedo, and I know they're never 100% accurate, but at 111 indicated GPS says you're going 110...and I nudged 200 on the speedo so me thinks, and I know it's a first, you is wrong.  :stick: ;D  Doubt it's out by 25 on the top end. I'd go out and do it again and take a snap shot of the phone, but it's probably best to keep both hands on the wheel.  The truck, annoyingly, hits a wall at 160... :P :'( Sad really.

According to articles on the web, it's limited to 108MPH.

Only the "RS" version had a higher top speed apparently.

Not that I'd even want to go 100km/h in that tin can.   :rofl2: :rofl:

What engine is in that? 1.8 or 1.4?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:14:29 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
1.8 manual, and that's what I'd read too, so I figured I'd check it out...went right past 160...then 170, 180, 190...199...flickered 200! Whoohoo! And I backed off (also it just wouldn't go any faster).  You'd be surprised, it's actually quite stable and fine at speed...and this was on a shitty we don't need no stinkin' shoulders paved with pea gravel road with patches over potholes, so even though it should've been bopping all around, it was smooth as silk underwear.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:20:16 pm by BWII »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
I think some of you guys would have a ball with the roads I used to zip along on......the 3er with the old NA I-6 made gaining speed so easy. Good for 227 km/h once, and other times I was zipping well past 200 for a few km before backing off to about 170.

https://goo.gl/maps/zEHAZZu4Pu32

https://goo.gl/maps/b5NfUzndJmv

Even at high elevations, if the road was well-built enough, no issues cruising at 160-170 given sparse traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/wDEH1Y1199C2

And that's kind of the irony of it. The infrastructure in NC (USA) was great, better than what's in Germany. Great sightlines, wide well-paved roads (highest fuel tax in the region), constant highway expansion. Here in Germany, the pavement is often sh*t, absence of shoulders or runoff, marking and signage is old or non-reflective, and yet it's okay to drive 200+ on a few stretches*. My Peugeot has a top end of 240 (not electronically limited) but I've never pushed beyond 205.

*I'll say it again, the majority of autobahns have a speed limit or roadworks.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:56:29 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Sight lines, intersections and surface are key factors along with traffic volume. There's one stretch of road about an hour from where I live that has a straight section that is several kms long, has amazing views of the road and off to each side, is fenced back from the road, and has a smooth surface.

Even at the most busy times, you're unlikely to see another car. Go early on a weekend morning, and you can be out there for a half hour or more without seeing another car.

I've tested nearly every vehicle I've owned out there. It's interesting to see how fast fast cars can go, and even regular cars. Even the lowly Corolla got to 160 strongly, but damn, it sure loses steam after that. I think it's gearing and possibly a limiter, as many years ago I took a 1990 Acura Integra along that road and got it to 200, and the Corolla has similar power and probably better aero and couldn't nudge past 180.

The Forester was scary at 180, the max it could see.  It didn't like going that fast.

A Mercedes buddy of mine with an uncorked E55 (stupid expensive mod) and I managed to coax it to 300 as per gps. Took every inch of room, but we got it there.  That's the fastest I've gone on four wheels.

My C36 was limited to 250 and they weren't kidding. Not one km/h over that. The car was dead stable at that speed. Felt like 100 in most cars. That's something the Germans are good at.

The E300 turbo diesel was also rock steady at its 210 limited speed. The 180-210 trip was slooooow.

Early build Hayabusas lacked speed limiters and would go 320 stock. Later bikes were capped at 300. Either way, they got to 250 in a blink of an eye and then handily to top speed. Uncapped bikes hit a wall built of both air and gearing.

The Miata is great fun to 150, nudging 160 and then downright scary past there. It gets blown around easily and is so loud you feel like you're going 250 at 160.

It needed all the room you could give it, but the lowly C230 could get to its 210 limiter. Like all Mercedes I've had, was stable and easy to drive at speed.

The 190E 2.3-16V was so fun. It pulled like hell past 180, got to 200 and ran flat on its face, crawling to 220 from there.

Old 911 turbo would pull hard in boost in fourth gear until 250, feeling like 300 was easily within reach. Then gearing and air became your enemy and you could see a little past 260, but they car also started to become a handful. The car was beautiful to drive at 220-230, that was a perfect cruising speed.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
I can't imagine any highway near Toronto that would be quiet enough at any time to go that fast. So much traffic.

I had chatted with Snowie about his romps to 220 or more, and he said he had to work hard to find roads where he could even briefly get to speed.

I've got a few stretches within about a half hour of my house that are long, straight, smooth and at 6am on a Sunday, a good place to go fast. He was jealous...

Yes lots of places like that in eastern AB. Long stretches of perfect blacktop with 1-2 cars every 1/2 hour. Deserted. I topped the old Passat, Contour SVT,  V70R and G8GT out there. Have not bothered with the Ridgeline and Land Rover.  ;D