Author Topic: Toyota Sienna 2nd Row Middle Seat  (Read 2618 times)

Offline rwgs

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Camry LE
Toyota Sienna 2nd Row Middle Seat
« on: February 06, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
Is the 2nd row middle "jump" seat really as uncomfortable as it looks?

Currently trying to decide between that and the Honda Odyssey (which has a "better" middle seat). We did go to look at one, but the jump seat wasn't installed, so didn't get a chance to try it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Toyota Sienna 2nd Row Middle Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 02:03:10 pm »
The jump seat in the Sienna isn't as bad as it seems for short trips but the Odyssey has a much better 8th seat. You can't go wrong either way. The Honda Odyssey can do 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds (with just a driver) and was redesigned recently but still has a timing belt. The Toyota Sienna has roughly 300 HP and has available AWD (7 seats only) plus it still looks good.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:06:57 pm »
0-60mph times?  Really?  Don't forget about the vacuum!   :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:14:08 pm »

It does matter to people, same reason why 150 HP seems to be the minimum required on econo cars these days.

Oh yea the vacuum on the Touring lol. Might be an option in the EX-L RES NAVI now.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »

It does matter to people, same reason why 150 HP seems to be the minimum required on econo cars these days.

Oh yea the vacuum on the Touring lol. Might be an option in the EX-L RES NAVI now.

May matter to some.  But I bet, people aren't asking the sales people, what's the 0-60 compared to other minivans.  Probably more safety questions, nannies, fuel economy, cargo capacity. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 05:41:52 pm »

May matter to some.  But I bet, people aren't asking the sales people, what's the 0-60 compared to other minivans.  Probably more safety questions, nannies, fuel economy, cargo capacity.

The newest Odyssey is the safest, has most nannies, has among the best fuel economy, and also the best cargo capacity. Oh and it does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:30:51 pm »

The newest Odyssey is the safest, has most nannies, has among the best fuel economy, and also the best cargo capacity. Oh and it does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. ;D

That is impressive. It seems like minivans (outside of real SUVs) will be the last vehicles with proper engines instead of these turbocharged small displacement blenders.

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 11:17:07 am »
I've ranted about the Sienna middle row in other posts. I have 3 teens and they found ALL of the middle row seats in the Sienna extremely uncomfortable. The head restraints are angled such that anybody in the 5' to 5'6 range has their head permanently shoved forward. The Toyota sales person said "tell your girls not to wear pony tails".

The Sedona LX middle row can seat all three of my kids in comfort, so I can fold the third row flat and carry enough junk for a summer long cottage vacation, or to evacuate with supplies to our bunker as civilization collapses.
As long as I don't need AWD to get there  ;).

The Toyota hasn't changed much except cosmetically since 2011.
The Honda is new but that shift selector eliminated it immediately. It may not kill you like the rotary knob in the FCA vehicles, but it is awkward and unintuitive.
The Sedona is cheaper than either of those two and nicer than a Caravan.

Currently trying to decide between that and the Honda Odyssey (which has a "better" middle seat). We did go to look at one, but the jump seat wasn't installed, so didn't get a chance to try it.
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 11:32:36 am »
I've ranted about the Sienna middle row in other posts. I have 3 teens and they found ALL of the middle row seats in the Sienna extremely uncomfortable. The head restraints are angled such that anybody in the 5' to 5'6 range has their head permanently shoved forward. The Toyota sales person said "tell your girls not to wear pony tails".

The Sedona LX middle row can seat all three of my kids in comfort, so I can fold the third row flat and carry enough junk for a summer long cottage vacation, or to evacuate with supplies to our bunker as civilization collapses.

The Honda is new but that shift selector eliminated it immediately. It may not kill you like the rotary knob in the FCA vehicles, but it is awkward and unintuitive.

I would say the Grand Caravan really doesn't compete, especially in the lower trims.  Wonder how the Sedona and Pacifica would compare.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 11:34:26 am »

I would say the Grand Caravan really doesn't compete, especially in the lower trims.  Wonder how the Sedona and Pacifica would compare.
Stop being logical  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:47 am »

You're the only one I know who's complained about the headrests. I found the headrests acceptable.

I wouldn't recommend Sedona, I'd take the Pacifica over it. There are quite a few people who've moved from Sienna and Odyssey to Pacifica and love it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 04:32:11 pm »
A buddy has a Sienna with the middle captains chairs and holy hell that's like flying first class.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:37:56 pm »
A buddy has a Sienna with the middle captains chairs and holy hell that's like flying first class.

My Entourage has captain chairs, there are pretty nice.  Would be great if they had power forward/backward.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
This is what John means.

But I really wish they would release the Toyota Alphard as the Lexus VX350 or something.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
This is what John means.

But I really wish they would release the Toyota Alphard as the Lexus VX350 or something.

Oh right!  Totally forgot about those. :censor: now you have been thinking about vans again.  Where's the hybrid?