Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer  (Read 7073 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:02:33 pm »
Brace yourselves: controversy is coming.

Read more.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:35 pm »
Poor value imo.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:02 pm »
driven one, meh
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:56:44 pm »
driven one, meh

You're the last person who's opinion I'd trust on SUVs.   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:30 am »
driven one, meh

BURN!!!   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:23:35 am »
An excellent review that covers all the bases. The quality of reviews here varies from shoddy to excellent. This is one of the latter.

The upscale AWD: that's actually a coupler and two clutches - the inline coupler at the transmission to drive the rear diff by the propeller shaft can be toggled on or off. If OFF the vehicle is Front Wheel Drive. If ON torque is stolen to drive the propeller shaft and rear differential but the FWD is never touched. Then the twin clutch rear axle, (trade name GKN Twinster a British design also manufactured in China by them) has one clutch on each rear axle. By squeezing each clutch appropriately, what torque that is available is apportioned left to right as sensors/electronics decide.

One thing's for sure, if anyone claims 100% of the torque can be sent to the rear axle they haven't the faintest whiff of mechanical understanding, because the FWD is never touched! It is always on, just like in the Subaru, Mazda, Volvo, VW and all the other vehicles without a center differential. The Twinster AWD is like a cheap copy of Acura's original SH-AWD, but without the oversped outer wheels. It also lacks the facility to do what Audi and BMW offer in their $1500 rear diffs in the S4 etc., namely overspeeding the outer rear wheel in a corner. All it can do is apportion torque left to right, but a Torsen differential can do the same within limits, and no electronics to go wrong.

However, the Cadillac/Buick/Twinster AWD baffles the unwary journalist and subsequent reader. not to mention the marketing types whose only area of expertise is in selecting glossy photos and writing indecipherable aspirational text for brochures. I would rate the Blazer's upper option AWD as better than the mediocre average but scarcely leading edge. The discontinued Chrysler 200 V6 of 2015 had a similar system made by someone else, not quite as well thought through which took too long to automatically engage - four tenths of a second. Here, if the customer had already pushed the AWD button next to the shifter, the system only has to engage the two clutches controlling each rear driveshaft. It's the exact same hardware as in the Focus RS, but Ford was too cheap to install the ON/OFF coupler, which led to the clutches in the Twinster rear axle often overheating.

Beyond all that, I have to side with Unifor. In Mexico, where are you going to find a market for a $40 to $50K crossover? You could in China, where wages are higher and 300,000,000 people are essentially middle class. GM and the other car companies assemble in Mexico purely to save money and for no other reason. And GM is unashamed to do so, despite having 15% of the Canadian market and being about to close Oshawa assembly. They gave the same middle finger to even more US assembly workers. Today, Feb 4, GM started to dismiss white collar workers as well, with a 4,000 person dumping. Good luck finding another  job if you're 50 plus and those higher-paid ones are the ones they dump. You're now a member of the gig economy, as our grand and glorious Finance Minister Morneau, who never missed a square meal in his life, blandly told the young a year ago. The barking right who still have jobs like to belittle those struggling to make ends meet on minimum wage - get a real job they say while hopping on their deluxe snowmobiles and scarfing down reheated frozen chicken wings for dinner. Corporate dumping by GM and others may hit these dorks and give them a new frame of reference.

Meanwhile, why bother to encourage GM or anyone else to import stuff they could have made here by purchasing their Mexican vehicles? If we all had decent-paying jobs as in pre-1988 non-free-trade days, we could afford a bit more to buy things made by our fellow citizens who had real jobs. Instead we are encouraged to look down on our fellow citizens down on their luck. Cheeses me off, especially when populist gorfs like Fraud divisively run Ontario into the ground spouting complete nonsense. We all categorize and hate each other's imagined type and politics, and meanwhile the money flows to the top where it's least needed. By design of the upper crust rich, I would surmise, who basically run the politicians. I was a white collar corporate type for decades, seen it all, and eventually came to abhor the scene. Nice people go to work at a company every day where they turn into unthinking corporate rah rah savages on a rampage to cut costs and screw the customer, then go home and become normal again in the evening. Something has gone seriously wrong, and GM typifies it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:48:05 am »
driven one, meh

fair  :surrend:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 08:39:09 am »
An excellent review that covers all the bases. The quality of reviews here varies from shoddy to excellent. This is one of the latter.

If I agree with your opinion or not, these are great reads. Maybe the site should add these to the end of their reviews and come of with a witty name for it.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:39:29 am »
I live out West, so not 100% sure, are we boycotting GM due to the Oshawa thing?

I can get on board if it means Canadian unity/solidarity.   :o

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:45 am »
I live out West, so not 100% sure, are we boycotting GM due to the Oshawa thing?

I can get on board if it means Canadian unity/solidarity.   :o

https://www.saveoshawagm.ca/

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:37:25 am »
Meh, I'll take a JGC over this any day of the week...
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:37:49 am »
i get that it sucks those people are losing their jobs, and that we always want to try and support local when possible...however, the Oshawa plant closing really shouldn't be much surprise...that plant has been on the edge for over a decade and it's only been running at about 35% capacity for the past 5+ years...there have been numerous times where there was serious talk about closing that plant, dating back the early 2000s...i'm actually surprised it took them this long to pull the plug.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:32 am »
i get that it sucks those people are losing their jobs, and that we always want to try and support local when possible...however, the Oshawa plant closing really shouldn't be much surprise...that plant has been on the edge for over a decade and it's only been running at about 35% capacity for the past 5+ years...there have been numerous times where there was serious talk about closing that plant, dating back the early 2000s...i'm actually surprised it took them this long to pull the plug.

The issue is that they are increasing production in Mexico while decreasing production in Canada and the US.  It's BS that GM doesn't have vehicles they can allocate to Oshawa, they're just allocating production to Mexico to save a buck.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:05 am »

:iagree: 

It still sucks, but it's not a surprise. Instead of trying to save GM, they should work on getting another auto-manufacturer to take over the old plant, even if it's to just build parts for someone. I think someone posted somewhere on another thread that Magna could easily take it over & build a car for one the existing manufacturers. I think the long game here is to say bye to GM and get someone new to buy the plant & run it.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 10:48:32 am »

The issue is that they are increasing production in Mexico while decreasing production in Canada and the US.  It's BS that GM doesn't have vehicles they can allocate to Oshawa, they're just allocating production to Mexico to save a buck.

They are in business to make money, not lose it.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:28 am »

Meh, Toyota and Honda make money on their vehicles produced in Canada. But they also seem to understand that it's just good business to produce cars in the same country where people are buying them.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 11:21:58 am »

Meh, Toyota and Honda make money on their vehicles produced in Canada. But they also seem to understand that it's just good business to produce cars in the same country where people are buying them.

Funny how that works & they're both non-unionized shops  :think:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 11:26:11 am »

Don't kid yourself. If that was their motivation they would be building those vehicles in the U.S.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 11:34:40 am »
This generally seems quite expensive. Hopefully there will be good incentives. I think the RS looks good though, particularly in red.

Dumb that if you want a sunroof you're also forced into 21" wheels.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »
Meh, I'll take a JGC over this any day of the week...

Me too, but the JGC can get a bunch more expensive.

To me the exterior bears more than a passing resemblance to the new Acura RDX.  I'd probably forgo some features and go that route.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.