Author Topic: Thoughts on Statistics versus Reality (Speed limits)  (Read 7669 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Thoughts on Statistics versus Reality (Speed limits)
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:10 pm »
We have long stretches of 30 zones in Edmonton, and it's really slow. But, they're all in heavy residential areas near schools and playgrounds, so I respect the limits carefully. But few people do. I'm frequently passed (illegal) by people doing at least 50, if not more.

The majority of the people weaving through traffic in those zones are soccer mommies in minivans.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »
In Europe, purely residential areas have a 30 limit and often a lot of traffic calming features. Speed tables, chicanes, plants in the middle, pedestrian islands......no way you can pilot a car much faster than 30.

Urban thoroughfares inside agglomerations are 50.

But that's different from the wide open rural roads, where 90 is a happy medium and 80 is.....well, set the speed limiter on the car or risk getting flashed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:04:15 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2019, 06:44:57 pm »
We have long stretches of 30 zones in Edmonton, and it's really slow. But, they're all in heavy residential areas near schools and playgrounds, so I respect the limits carefully. But few people do. I'm frequently passed (illegal) by people doing at least 50, if not more.

The majority of the people weaving through traffic in those zones are soccer mommies in minivans.

Save our kids! Except me, I know what I’m doing.

The 30 zones don’t bother me for the most part. The city admitted about 10% of the 30 zones weren’t needed.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2019, 09:03:35 pm »
Speed limits are crazy in this country, totally out of touch with reality most of the time. I am an ass and speed, IMO safely, nearly everywhere. Mostly 10 over, sometimes 20. Most streets I find infuriatingly strangled by hilarious speed limits. major streets...60km/h are you kidding me? Roads that might as well be a highway with nothing but forest and field around them...80km/h. Next time you go out driving, try going under 40km/h. Just try. There are some long residential streets that are 40km/h, with not much but fields turnoffs to subdivisions to break up the monotony. 40km/h is very....very slow. Now, school zones etc. of course should be slow, but those schools should not be on major roads either - THAT is terrible urban planning IMO.

Now, speeding like an idiot in a residential area is obviously quite stupid and dangerous, but don't think for a second that lowering a speed limit of a road is going to magically make it sooooo safe.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 03:43:06 am »
Speed limits are crazy in this country, totally out of touch with reality most of the time. I am an ass and speed, IMO safely, nearly everywhere. Mostly 10 over, sometimes 20. Most streets I find infuriatingly strangled by hilarious speed limits. major streets...60km/h are you kidding me? Roads that might as well be a highway with nothing but forest and field around them...80km/h. Next time you go out driving, try going under 40km/h. Just try. There are some long residential streets that are 40km/h, with not much but fields turnoffs to subdivisions to break up the monotony. 40km/h is very....very slow. Now, school zones etc. of course should be slow, but those schools should not be on major roads either - THAT is terrible urban planning IMO.

Now, speeding like an idiot in a residential area is obviously quite stupid and dangerous, but don't think for a second that lowering a speed limit of a road is going to magically make it sooooo safe.
I see nothing wrong with schools on a main road.

Here's how we do traffic calming crossing a university campus. Contrôle radar @50 a couple hundred metres back, squeeze traffic, and put a series of 2 speed tables.

https://goo.gl/maps/yowFkDc7vxy

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 01:32:53 pm »
Now, school zones etc. of course should be slow, but those schools should not be on major roads either - THAT is terrible urban planning IMO.

It absolutely isn't terrible urban planning. Schools should be centralized and accessible. If a school isn't on a major road, all you're doing is shifting all of that school's traffic to residential streets.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 04:24:44 pm »
Now, school zones etc. of course should be slow, but those schools should not be on major roads either - THAT is terrible urban planning IMO.

It absolutely isn't terrible urban planning. Schools should be centralized and accessible. If a school isn't on a major road, all you're doing is shifting all of that school's traffic to residential streets.
Good. Because school traffic does not belong on major streets. Make them centralized and accessible, sure. But not on major roads.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 04:48:26 pm »

Good. Because school traffic does not belong on major streets. Make them centralized and accessible, sure. But not on major roads.
Should just let Blueprint answer that question

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 05:09:47 pm »
It's a tough spot for design. Planners put schools deep into residential areas which makes a lot of sense, because people need the school close to houses. But they didn't anticipate that people would drive their kids to school even if they live within easy walking distance. That's meant that schools are now on roads not designed to handle that kind of stop/go traffic.

Stupid people thinking that kids need to be driven 200M to school.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 05:49:57 pm »
^ I agree with that too. Not a parent so can't judge on that, but I walked to school every day, even in winter.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 07:04:40 pm »
Every parent thinks their child is going to be kidnapped these days.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2019, 07:50:52 pm »
Every parent thinks their child is going to be kidnapped these days.

Which is a complete fallacy!