Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Golf  (Read 7500 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Golf
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:47:43 am »
Sensible fun.
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Volkswagen Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:18:09 am »
this is a great subcompact...but $35k is getting up there.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:52 am »
Agreed but that is quite well equipped/loaded Execline with the Driver Assistance pack, no ? With ACC (incl. Stop & Go), self parking, etc....

The lights in the interior that can't be switched off mentioned in the review are part of the ambient mood lighting .

The Golf is still the best family hatch out there though. No fuss, practical, and competent at everything. My vote is for the Comfortline for best value.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:33 am »
Agreed but that is quite well equipped/loaded Execline with the Driver Assistance pack, no ? With ACC (incl. Stop & Go), self parking, etc....

The lights in the interior that can't be switched off mentioned in the review are part of the ambient mood lighting .

The Golf is still the best family hatch out there though. No fuss, practical, and competent at everything. My vote is for the Comfortline for best value.
it is, but you can also get a fully loaded Kia Rio5 EX Tech (top trim) for $25,500 including freight (add $200 for a colour other than black)...i'm not saying the Rio5 is a Kia Golf, but it's $10k less...that's a massive difference, and it's still very well equipped...and the only thing i've had to replace on my car was the back up camera, which they covered under the extended warranty i bought...no other issues and only maintenance (which is dirt cheap on this car)...it will be 7 years old next month...while i'm sure the Golf is a decently reliable vehicle, i'm not sure it's any better than that after 7 years, and maintenance is likely higher.

i agree the "value" is likely in the lower trims, but if you want the tech, and are willing to forgo some of the driving dynamics of the IRS, etc, a Rio5 is certainly worth a look...it too gets decent ratings.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 11:07:57 am »
The Kia equivalent of the Golf is the C'eed, both C-segment cars. The Golf is not a subcompact.

I believe the Kia Rio is a B-segment supermini class car that's more akin to a Ford Fiesta (which you guys don't get anymore) or a VW Polo (um, not sold there either). So it makes sense the Rio would be cheaper, smaller class of car than the Golf.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:16:39 am »
$35k and not even 150hp....for shame.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
$35k.....hmmmmmm.....no wonder people are buying SUVs! I can think about at least 10 alternatives that would suit folks better and with more hp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:44:48 am »
Sigh.  This happens every time a loaded compact is reviewed.

$30+ grand for that? I can buy a base CUV for that!

The base model is pretty well equipped, and a hell of a lot cheaper.  The mid range (previous Comfortline, not sure what's it's called now) is the sweet spot, and a decent value.

The top model Golf has always been pricey for the features you get, IMO.

All of this is moot. The best Golf is the 4-Motion Wagon with a manual.  You get the same ride/handling/interior but better looks and more space.  You also still get the 1.8T, though it comes with a pretty big jump in fuel consumption. Pick a trim that suits your wants.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:46:34 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:03 pm »

Any loaded model.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:05 pm »

The base model is pretty well equipped, and a hell of a lot cheaper.  The mid range (previous Comfortline, not sure what's it's called now) is the sweet spot, and a decent value.

All of this is moot. The best Golf is the 4-Motion Wagon with a manual.  You get the same ride/handling/interior but better looks and more space.  You also still get the 1.8T, though it comes with a pretty big jump in fuel consumption. Pick a trim that suits your wants.

Hmmm no, you can buy a (example) RAV4 XLE with the Premium package that has ALL the goodies the Golf has...except you get more power, more space, more...more...VALUE!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »

Hmmm no, you can buy a (example) RAV4 XLE with the Premium package that has ALL the goodies the Golf has...except you get more power, more space, more...more...VALUE!

^^I would argue a Golf is a more upscale experience, not to mention a better driver, than a Rav4.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 12:19:09 pm »

^^I would argue a Golf is a more upscale experience, not to mention a better driver, than a Rav4.

I would really argue the whole upscale part, I don't know what Golfs you have been in but I have never been in one thats "upscale". As for driving experience....a hatchback vs an AWD hatchback on stilts....yeah, maybe.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:26 pm »

I would really argue the whole upscale part, I don't know what Golfs you have been in but I have never been in one thats "upscale". As for driving experience....a hatchback vs an AWD hatchback on stilts....yeah, maybe.

I'd pick a Golf over a RAV4 100 times out of 100 regardless of price.

And the Golf is nicer than other compacts in its class. Even a base one has nice interior materials and feels better than other compact cars. I split driving time in my friend's base AWD Golf wagon with a six-speed from Calgary to Kitchener last year and it does feel like a much nicer, more expensive car than, say, a Mazda 3.

Regardless, this comes up every single time we take about the Golf...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 12:27:16 pm »
Of course it comes up because theres always this "it feels upscale" BS. Look, the GTI and R are something special, i will give you that, a welfare spec Golf has absolutely nothing going for it especially with the 12 donkey power engine theyve saddled it with it now.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 12:28:17 pm »
The Kia equivalent of the Golf is the C'eed, both C-segment cars. The Golf is not a subcompact.

I believe the Kia Rio is a B-segment supermini class car that's more akin to a Ford Fiesta (which you guys don't get anymore) or a VW Polo (um, not sold there either). So it makes sense the Rio would be cheaper, smaller class of car than the Golf.
the Golf is a bit bigger, but not much...the Rio5 is larger than the Fiesta (which is no longer available)...i test drove a Fiesta when i bought the Rio5...it is small (not that the Rio5 is huge, but it is bigger inside than the Fiesta, it is noticeable right away)...the Golf is likely a similar that way (comparing it to the Rio5)...my point is, the Golf is a really good car, but $35k is certainly getting up there...and for someone looking for a well equipped small car who is looking for lots of features, but still on a budget, that Golf can get up there...example, a fully loaded Rio5 in Ice Blue Metallic is $350.59 for 84 months...total all in price is $29,449.56...a Golf Execline (i left off the safety package since those features aren't included in the Rio5 to try and keep them as close as possible), is $539.52/month for 84 months...that's almost $200 per month more, for 7 years...total cost is $45,319.68...a difference of $15,870.12...that's a significant price difference, and while i'd agree the Golf is a better driver's car, it's hard to justify a difference in price of almost $16,000...you can almost buy a base trim Rio5 with the difference in price...aside from the price gap of the vehicles themselves, is that is made larger by the interest rate difference...the cost of borrowing on the Kia is $443.59...it is $7135 for the Golf...that's $7k you're simply handing to the bank and getting nothing to show for it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:02 pm »
Of course it comes up because theres always this "it feels upscale" BS. Look, the GTI and R are something special, i will give you that, a welfare spec Golf has absolutely nothing going for it especially with the 12 donkey power engine theyve saddled it with it now.

It isn't BS. I'm not sure you're the best to judge it because you always insist you don't care about interior materials or feature content, and that's fine. But as someone who has extensive experience with various trim levels of Golfs as well as other compact cars, I find the interior materials to be nicer in the Golf, and I also find that they also generally feel better to drive (not necessarily in terms of the sportiness of the handling, but in terms of how refined the ride is and how substantial the steering feels).

Also, in terms of the interior, there's very few differences between the normal Golf and the GTI and R. The top Golf (tested here) has the same seats as the GTI and R, and all the interior materials are the same except for some dash and door trim. Everything else is exactly the same.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »

Interesting Argument.

More power. Sure. But 400 more lbs.  Which given the identical torque means the Golf will be faster.

And I don't think you can get the premium package on the FWD model.  The Premium package on the AWD model makes the Rav $5k more expensive.  And you don't get leather seats.

And I bet the cargo space of wagon is the same as the Rav.

And comparing it to the Rio is silly.  The Golf will be a lot more refined than the Rio.  To say nothing of the nicer interior.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:38:45 pm by tortoise »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 12:37:15 pm »

the Golf is a bit bigger, but not much...the Rio5 is larger than the Fiesta (which is no longer available)...i test drove a Fiesta when i bought the Rio5...it is small (not that the Rio5 is huge, but it is bigger inside than the Fiesta, it is noticeable right away)...the Golf is likely a similar that way (comparing it to the Rio5)...my point is, the Golf is a really good car, but $35k is certainly getting up there...and for someone looking for a well equipped small car who is looking for lots of features, but still on a budget, that Golf can get up there...example, a fully loaded Rio5 in Ice Blue Metallic is $350.59 for 84 months...total all in price is $29,449.56...a Golf Execline (i left off the safety package since those features aren't included in the Rio5 to try and keep them as close as possible), is $539.52/month for 84 months...that's almost $200 per month more, for 7 years...total cost is $45,319.68...a difference of $15,870.12...that's a significant price difference, and while i'd agree the Golf is a better driver's car, it's hard to justify a difference in price of almost $16,000...you can almost buy a base trim Rio5 with the difference in price...aside from the price gap of the vehicles themselves, is that is made larger by the interest rate difference...the cost of borrowing on the Kia is $443.59...it is $7135 for the Golf...that's $7k you're simply handing to the bank and getting nothing to show for it.

The 2019 Golf just went on sale and there are still leftover 2018s, hence the high interest rate. It will drop in the next few months.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:03 pm »
The 2019 Golf just went on sale and there are still leftover 2018s, hence the high interest rate. It will drop in the next few months.
sure, but the Rio5 is also a 2019 model and if you were shopping right now, that's what the numbers are.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 12:51:24 pm »
And comparing it to the Rio is silly.  The Golf will be a lot more refined than the Rio.  To say nothing of the nicer interior.
not silly at all...there's not much difference is size (passenger volume/cargo volume for Golf is 2647L/493L and 2562L/493L)...and leaving off the safety package means there's little difference in features (you might actually get more in the Rio5, but i haven't gone through it line by line, so let's just call it even for simplicity).

as i said, the Golf is likely a nicer car...i haven't been in the newest Golf and Rio5 vehicles, but i'm sure the Golf has a more refined ride (IRS will really help with that) so i get that it's going to cost more...my point was simply there is a MASSIVE price difference for the average Joe going to look at the two vehicles (almost $16k when financed over 84 months) and there's no way the gap in "more refined interior and ride" is $16k big.