Author Topic: Need some advice on my next car. Help!!!  (Read 8027 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Need some advice on my next car. Help!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:04 am »
Since you seem to be a fan of leasing, have you considered leasing a BMW 3-series?  The BMW 340i is available with a stick both in RWD and AWD guise.  320hp is certainly nothing the sneeze at, and there is something about BMW's being the ultimate driving machine?

Out of production and there's only a handful left at Canadian dealers. But yes, it's an excellent choice. A lightly used one is a pretty good value too.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
Since you seem to be a fan of leasing, have you considered leasing a BMW 3-series?  The BMW 340i is available with a stick both in RWD and AWD guise.  320hp is certainly nothing the sneeze at, and there is something about BMW's being the ultimate driving machine?

Out of production and there's only a handful left at Canadian dealers. But yes, it's an excellent choice. A lightly used one is a pretty good value too.

I spotted this one last week when new car browsing... https://www.parkviewbmw.com/used/vehicle/2018-bmw-340i-xdrive-id9101423.htm
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 10:33:22 am »
How about a Genesis G70 2.0T Sport with the manual?  It's a driver's car with a decent 252hp (if only the 365hp V6 was available with a stick... >:()

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 11:14:47 am »
Phone your dealer to see if you can get the lease extended by 6 months

That's an excellent idea.  Thanks for mentioning that.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 11:30:59 am »
I feel like going from a 400hp uber-sedan like a Lincoln MKZ to a compact economy car (even if it has a 'Sport' or 'SI' after the name) like a Civic or an Elantra will just leave you, well, disappointed.

I understand that you're looking for something a little more raw and connected than the big Lincoln, but at the same time, you bought the car because you obviously appreciate big power, and at least some sense of luxury and solidity.  Those two are things that something that a Civic SI or an Elantra Sport just won't offer you.  They are economy cars, and will feel like economy cars.  I just feel like you'll be left wanting.

The Golf R (as has been mentioned by yourself and others) would fit the bill, and has the advantage of feeling a lot more upscale than something like a Honda or a Hyundai.

It's definitely a concern of mine that if I go for something that is a performance-oriented trim level on an otherwise economy car that I might end up being unhappy with my choice.  I've watched some reviews and read the specs of the Civic Si and I think it has everything that I'd be looking for.  To be honest, I use very few features that the MKZ has.  The nav system for example - I've only used that twice.  I will miss cooled seats and a heated steering wheel as those features aren't common yet, but more and more cars are offering them.

I will confess that the answer to most of the questions I pose to myself come up Golf R or GTI.  Those are technically economy cars but have always had a premium feel to them.  I'd take a base Golf over a base Jetta any day, for example.  The R and GTI have a premium look and feel and the R is a true sleeper which is something else I like.  My hesitancy about the R is that there may be some uncertainty about availability when I'm ready to take the plunge. 

I took your advice and checked out the 3-series.  That would definitely fit the bill but I've promised myself to come in as close to $40K as possible.  The R is the only car in the running that will require some relaxing of that rule.  The 3-series with the 320HP engine and a manual transmission clocks in at $56K.

The MKZ was my first lease and I went that route simply because in the past I'd buy a car, roughly calculate the trade-in value for three years out and structure payments to put me at a break-even or slight equity position then, put less than 20K kms on it annually and then trade it in at 36 months.  That's essentially a lease but I took responsibility for guessing the value at 36 months.  I figured that a lease might be the safer way to go so everything is known upfront.  I'm planning to lease next time too but for a different reason.  I'll be 53 when I take delivery of this car and 56 when I turn it in.  I need to be able to tell myself (and my wife) that this is a phase and I'll outgrow it and it has a hard stop anyway.  Then at 56 I'll buy a beige Corolla.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:51 pm »
I've promised myself to come in as close to $40K as possible. The R is the only car in the running that will require some relaxing of that rule. 

The Genesis G70 2.0T with manual clocks in at $45 500.  That's pretty close, and if there are any incentives, may come closer.  I think you at least owe it to yourself to test drive a G70.  It's not like a test drive will cost you anything...

Then at 56 I'll buy a beige Corolla.

No, you won't.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:06:26 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 12:09:15 pm »
My hesitancy about the R is that there may be some uncertainty about availability when I'm ready to take the plunge. 

Even if they aren't making the R, you should be able to get into a lightly used CPO model.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
I feel like going from a 400hp uber-sedan like a Lincoln MKZ to a compact economy car (even if it has a 'Sport' or 'SI' after the name) like a Civic or an Elantra will just leave you, well, disappointed.

I understand that you're looking for something a little more raw and connected than the big Lincoln, but at the same time, you bought the car because you obviously appreciate big power, and at least some sense of luxury and solidity.  Those two are things that something that a Civic SI or an Elantra Sport just won't offer you.  They are economy cars, and will feel like economy cars.  I just feel like you'll be left wanting.

The Golf R (as has been mentioned by yourself and others) would fit the bill, and has the advantage of feeling a lot more upscale than something like a Honda or a Hyundai.

It's definitely a concern of mine that if I go for something that is a performance-oriented trim level on an otherwise economy car that I might end up being unhappy with my choice.  I've watched some reviews and read the specs of the Civic Si and I think it has everything that I'd be looking for.  To be honest, I use very few features that the MKZ has.  The nav system for example - I've only used that twice.  I will miss cooled seats and a heated steering wheel as those features aren't common yet, but more and more cars are offering them.

I will confess that the answer to most of the questions I pose to myself come up Golf R or GTI.  Those are technically economy cars but have always had a premium feel to them.  I'd take a base Golf over a base Jetta any day, for example.  The R and GTI have a premium look and feel and the R is a true sleeper which is something else I like.  My hesitancy about the R is that there may be some uncertainty about availability when I'm ready to take the plunge. 

I took your advice and checked out the 3-series.  That would definitely fit the bill but I've promised myself to come in as close to $40K as possible.  The R is the only car in the running that will require some relaxing of that rule.  The 3-series with the 320HP engine and a manual transmission clocks in at $56K.

The MKZ was my first lease and I went that route simply because in the past I'd buy a car, roughly calculate the trade-in value for three years out and structure payments to put me at a break-even or slight equity position then, put less than 20K kms on it annually and then trade it in at 36 months.  That's essentially a lease but I took responsibility for guessing the value at 36 months.  I figured that a lease might be the safer way to go so everything is known upfront.  I'm planning to lease next time too but for a different reason.  I'll be 53 when I take delivery of this car and 56 when I turn it in.  I need to be able to tell myself (and my wife) that this is a phase and I'll outgrow it and it has a hard stop anyway.  Then at 56 I'll buy a beige Corolla.

Re: your comment about the Jetta, keep in mind that the new GLI is being introduced at the Chicago Auto Show 2 1/2 weeks from now. It finally gets onto the new platform like the GTI.

I think to ultimately make a decision, you will first have to deal with/put paid to this obsession/worry about age!   :rofl:  Your interests and needs are honed over years of car craziness, and will not change significantly IF AT ALL in a relatively short period like 3/5 years. The only thing that would do that is a new physical limitation. And even then it would only be a knee or hip problem getting you to change from manuals to automatics, not much else. Take it from me, unfortunately I have lots of experience!

I agree with what Great_Big_Abyss says. A $ 30k + HST car is not a $ 40k + HST car. (even if mine has a heated steering wheel  :P  ). The main differences are the areas to focus on during a test drive, as in Reply 5. And in terms of performance, keep in mind your 400 HP weighs about 3,750 lbs, a Golf R manual weighs 3,300 lbs. and a GTI Autobahn manual weighs 3,060 lbs. Its not just HP alone. 

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:09 pm »
Thanks to all who provided advice on this.  The one big takeaway was that I had narrowed my options too much.  I had pretty much settled on a Golf R or GTI but there was some uncertainty about availability because of the switch from the Mk7.5 to the Mk8.  My worry was that I'd have to have two vehicles for a while to make sure I had a VW ordered if the R wasn't going to be available.  Opinions are that there will be an R and GTI available but I'm no longer narrowing the field so much.  I'm not in the market now so I'm not going to do much but I will occasionally check the local Honda dealer's inventory to see when they bring an Si or two in.  They currently don't have any.  I think that the Si and a few other vehicles warrant some attention.  I'm most definitely not a flashy guy so in many ways the MKZ isn't a car I'd normally consider.  The draw for the R, GTI, Si and others in that field is that they really come from humble roots and they aren't overly flashy.  (The MKZ comes from humble roots too but I still get the occasional sneer about putting on airs.  The Atlantic provinces, with a few exceptions, avoid flashy things.  The irony of that is that I can sit in traffic any day of the week surrounded by pickups and SUVs that cost more than my MKZ.)

Thanks all.  I appreciate the advice.   I'll continue to check in on this thread if anyone has any other recommendations.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:19 am »
Thanks to all who provided advice on this.  The one big takeaway was that I had narrowed my options too much.  I had pretty much settled on a Golf R or GTI but there was some uncertainty about availability because of the switch from the Mk7.5 to the Mk8.  My worry was that I'd have to have two vehicles for a while to make sure I had a VW ordered if the R wasn't going to be available.  Opinions are that there will be an R and GTI available but I'm no longer narrowing the field so much.  I'm not in the market now so I'm not going to do much but I will occasionally check the local Honda dealer's inventory to see when they bring an Si or two in.  They currently don't have any.  I think that the Si and a few other vehicles warrant some attention.  I'm most definitely not a flashy guy so in many ways the MKZ isn't a car I'd normally consider.  The draw for the R, GTI, Si and others in that field is that they really come from humble roots and they aren't overly flashy.  (The MKZ comes from humble roots too but I still get the occasional sneer about putting on airs.  The Atlantic provinces, with a few exceptions, avoid flashy things.  The irony of that is that I can sit in traffic any day of the week surrounded by pickups and SUVs that cost more than my MKZ.)

Thanks all.  I appreciate the advice.   I'll continue to check in on this thread if anyone has any other recommendations.

I' m confused. I know it doesn't take much. ;D  By Civic you mean Type R not SI correct? You would think there would be lots of SI's in inventory. I wouldn't think it is a rare car in the civic lineup at dealers .I could also be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:35:05 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:46 am »

I' m confused. I know it doesn't take much. ;D  By Civic you mean Type R not SI correct? You would think there would be lots of SI's in inventory. I wouldn't think it is a rare car in the civic lineup at dealers .I could also be wrong.

Yeah, I see plenty of them on the road, and plenty at my local dealers.  The SI isn't exactly a rare car.  Maybe the situation in NB is different, though.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:10 am »
The market for cars in NB is fairly small, and smaller still for performance cars. Not surprising that they wouldn't have any in stock.

It's only in the last few years that the Subaru dealer here will stock WRXs.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 08:50:32 am »
The market for cars in NB is fairly small, and smaller still for performance cars. Not surprising that they wouldn't have any in stock.

It's only in the last few years that the Subaru dealer here will stock WRXs.
Road trip to the the GTA

I bet Tooscopes could get you one  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:44 am »
I'm sure you could also find one in Quebec. Or even Nova Scotia.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 07:30:40 pm »
Colonial Honda in Halifax has 4 sedan SI's and 2 coupe SI's in stock. ;D

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 10:41:53 am »

No, I do mean the Si.  The Type R is just way too over-the-top in trying to appeal to 12 year-olds.  The Si is much more subdued.  It seems to be even less flashy than the Rabbit package available on the GTI.  The Golf R is probably the least flashy of the cars I'm considering.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 10:52:17 am »
Re the comments on availability in NB - I'd still rather buy from the local dealer just to have a relationship with them that I could leverage if needed.  I'm sure they'd be happy to bring one in.  The problem is that since I've only recently considered an Si I haven't even paid attention to them so I'd probably have to make a run to somewhere else that did have one even just to see it.  It's also possible that the local dealer may bring one in as spring approaches.

Oddly, the local dealer does have a Type R in stock.

I wonder if the impediment to them bringing any in is more about the lack of an automatic transmission rather than it being an Si.  The Si isn't much more expensive than a lot of other Civic models.  I checked the local dealer's inventory and they have only a few manuals on the lot.  I suspect they keep those for people who want the cheapest car they can get.  I did talk to the dealer last year when I saw that Honda was offering the Accord Sport with the 2.0L and a manual.  The dealer assured me that there was no way in hell they'd be bringing one of those in on spec.  It'd have to be a special order. 

Of topic, but I have no idea why more people won't drive a car with a manual transmission.  My 18 year old nephew can drive a manual but I wouldn't be surprised if none of his friends can.  Look at it this way: a manual transmission pretty much makes your car theft-proof.  And you never have to worry about unintended acceleration (yeah, I know it's BS) because a simple push of the clutch disengages the engine from the transmission.  Problem solved.  The again, the type of person who is likely to experience unintended acceleration is probably the type who is also completely disengaged from driving so a manual would be out of the question.  Beige Corolla automatic please!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 11:33:46 am »
What about this?

While its almost impossible on this forum to figure out where people live if one's memory isn't exceptional, going back over old posts it seems you are either in St. John where this dealer is, or Fredericton. But that could be JohnnyMac.

All I did was use Google maps, search for car dealerships using that to find dealerships' web pages, then on each page search inventory (if available). Its what I do here too. Fastest way I know to find cars by location.

http://www.fundyhonda.com/en/inventory/new/vehicle/2018/honda/civic-coupe/si/5282558

Saint John Hyundai has a 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line turbo manual. They also have a 2019 Hyundai Veloster turbo manual, which is the same 201 HP as the Elantra, (its not the Veloster 'N'). Fredericton Hyundai has a Veloster turbo manual as well.

Offline seoking

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • you can sleep when you are dead.
    • View Profile
    • Justice Road Rallies
  • Cars: Nissan GTR R35, First gen Dodge Viper
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 12:02:49 am »
Personal opinion Don't get a VW.
Drive your car don't park it.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 07:07:31 am »
What about this?

While its almost impossible on this forum to figure out where people live if one's memory isn't exceptional, going back over old posts it seems you are either in St. John where this dealer is, or Fredericton. But that could be JohnnyMac.

All I did was use Google maps, search for car dealerships using that to find dealerships' web pages, then on each page search inventory (if available). Its what I do here too. Fastest way I know to find cars by location.

http://www.fundyhonda.com/en/inventory/new/vehicle/2018/honda/civic-coupe/si/5282558

Saint John Hyundai has a 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line turbo manual. They also have a 2019 Hyundai Veloster turbo manual, which is the same 201 HP as the Elantra, (its not the Veloster 'N'). Fredericton Hyundai has a Veloster turbo manual as well.

I'm always surprised that in 2019 there are dealers that don't put their inventory online.  Fundy Honda is one dealer that does.  I did check there but I checked for the Si sedan inventory and didn't think to look for a coupe.  If I go the Si route it'll be the sedan but at least I could get a better idea about its suitability by seeing and driving the coupe.  (BTW - your memory was correct - I'm in Saint John and JohnnyMac is in Fredericton.)  The dealers in Fredericton and Moncton don't post their inventory online.

Oddly, while the dealer in SJ only has one Si in a catchment area of about 130,000 people, the dealer in Bathurst (a northern community of 12,000) has four sedans.  I didn't look for coupes so they may have even more Sis.

So the bottom line on the Si is that it is a lot less rare than a GTI or R so it would likely just be a case of the SJ dealer bringing one in from another dealer.  (Though once, in 2013, I was looking for a black Passat TDI with the manual transmission.  A dealer in northern NB had four of that exact car for some reason.  No problem, said the salesman I've bought from for years.  Except that the northern dealer refused to sell one to the SJ dealer.  The salesman said in all his years at that dealership that was the first time that happened.)

I'll take a deeper dive on the Hyundai products too. 

Thanks for the tips.