Author Topic: Wagons Ho!  (Read 8587 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Wagons Ho!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 03:11:53 am »
If Ford had offered the Mondeo/Fusion wagon in Canada in 2016/2017 I can guarantee you that one of those would be in my garage right now.  Beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  But since our American cousins, and increasingly Canadians too, would rather have the clap than a wagon we can't get them.  Wagons that it.  I could probably get the clap pretty easily with the payment of $50. 
I had one as a long-termer when I had my 6-month delegation to Germany back in the latter half of 2015. Was the Mondeo wagon with the 2.0 TDCi (180PS) and 6-DCT combo. Good family hauler, comfortable, huge boot space, but the interior was a let down (despite having goodies not available in Canada) and driving experience was average. Was easy to tell the platform was developed in Dearborn and not Cologne.,

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=93491.0
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 03:27:57 pm »
The new Focus touring is making it's way again rental fleets in Europe  ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 03:59:09 pm »
The new Focus touring is making it's way again rental fleets in Europe  ;)

Must you torture us!  >:( ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 11:37:08 pm »
https://insideevs.com/new-2019-volkswagen-passat-gte-debuts/

I think the wagon actually looks better than the sedan. Too bad we probably won't see it here  :(

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 08:29:15 am »
https://insideevs.com/new-2019-volkswagen-passat-gte-debuts/

I think the wagon actually looks better than the sedan. Too bad we probably won't see it here  :(

We definitely won't, the Euro Passat is completely unrelated to the Passat built in North America.

Was picked up from the airport in Prague in a Passat TDI 4Motion wagon, it was an awesome car.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 08:39:31 am »
Meh, the Passat and the Variant (wagon) aren't anything to drool over. Here, it's the German equivalent I guess the Ford Explorer or Honda Pilot- a utilitarian family/stuff hauler. Since we don't really buy SUVs here, Germans get the Passat Variant because it's spacious, practical, reliable, and not flash. In terms of actual offering, it's nothing special. And I particularly fail to see the point of the GTE because while EVs make sense for small commuters, it makes less so for a vehicle that'll do long trips or is meant to haul/tow.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:51 am »
Meh, the Passat and the Variant (wagon) aren't anything to drool over. Here, it's the German equivalent I guess the Ford Explorer or Honda Pilot- a utilitarian family/stuff hauler. Since we don't really buy SUVs here, Germans get the Passat Variant because it's spacious, practical, reliable, and not flash. In terms of actual offering, it's nothing special. And I particularly fail to see the point of the GTE because while EVs make sense for small commuters, it makes less so for a vehicle that'll do long trips or is meant to haul/tow.

You don't think someone would also use a Passat GTE to commute?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:19 am »
Germans get the Passat Variant because it's spacious, practical, reliable, and not flash.

Ya, those would be horrible reasons for the normal person to buy a car.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 09:33:37 am »

I think the GTE is a logical replacement for the diesel. It gets much better mileage equivalent for the first 70? km in city driving and past that it goes into a hybrid mode, which is roughly the same as diesel in efficiency and a lot more entertaining than an average hybrid due to a 6spd DSG.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:39 pm »
I think the GTE is a logical replacement for the diesel. It gets much better mileage equivalent for the first 70? km in city driving and past that it goes into a hybrid mode, which is roughly the same as diesel in efficiency and a lot more entertaining than an average hybrid due to a 6spd DSG.
In Germany (its main market), there is little incentive to get plug-in hybrids. Only "pure" EVs (no range extenders, hybrids) are except from the annual vehicle tax. There is a new EV purchase rebate, but it is handled thru the manufacturers and dealers, so the savings are not always clearly passed to the customer.

Germany continues to subsidise diesel fuel more than its neighbours. The gap is usually 12-14 cents (18-24 cents $C).

So it's expensive to buy, hydro is expensive (we pay a 50% surcharge for renewables) if you can find a charge point- most cars park on the street, if you end up needing to fill up with gasoline it's expensive, and the EV range is limited during the cold months of the year. All this on a car that is supposed to rack up a lot of kms. Not a ton of financial incentive here.

Neighbouring countries have more favourable tax schemes, but big cars like the Passat Variant are less popular there.

You don't think someone would also use a Passat GTE to commute?
In Germany, people do. But again, for the reasons above....why not just the regular 2.0 TDI ? The price gap is 13 k€.

I do find it amusing that wagons are such a novelty, although I can sort of understand (yesterday I saw my first Mazda3 sedan in an entire year; no kidding). Mazda6 wagon ? Audi S4 avant ? Yawn. All in the company car park  :sleep:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 05:19:16 pm »
I like this Lexus ES wagon fan render.