Author Topic: Wagons Ho!  (Read 8582 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Wagons Ho!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 06:13:02 am »
Owned once 2 Saturn SW2: my 2000 with ION alloys was the one with a stick, my 2001 the one with roof rack, automatic.

I missed the practicality of the wagon, a hatchback like my Volt is close but not as good.
Polymer body panels were brillant: not worrying much about parking digs.
Still hope on day for an AWD wagon with polymer & a plug (I mean full EV, not PHEV)...

To this day I wonder what the difference was between the SW1 and SW2...
^^Single cam vs dual cam motors.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:50 am »
Owned once 2 Saturn SW2: my 2000 with ION alloys was the one with a stick, my 2001 the one with roof rack, automatic.

I missed the practicality of the wagon, a hatchback like my Volt is close but not as good.
Still hope on day for an AWD wagon with polymer & a plug (I mean full EV, not PHEV)...

SW1 had the single cam base motor while the SW2 had the twin cam motor.
W stands for wagon.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
This article has been making the rounds but it's a bit misleading. Literally all of that growth has come from the Subaru Outback. In 2018 it had 84% of the U.S. wagon market.

The article says the wagon market grew by 29% in five years, but Outback sales grew by 51% in that same time period – meaning that if we exclude the Outback from the equation, wagon sales are actually down 28%.

So the real story is, despite the fact that other wagons are not doing well, the Outback is hugely successful.

Not to mention wagon sales are certainly down from 2017 because the Golf wagon is down by about 12,000 units and the Outback is down by 10,000 units.

Yup, there is a lot wrong in this article. The wagon market share has decreased year over year for the past five years. It is not growing in market, it's just up in sales as overall car sales are up in sales.

And the article states people are buying wagons over crossovers, yet the graph in the original article shows that the crossover market is increasing far faster as is the premium crossover market. The article is more wishful thinking than fact.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:11 am »
Wagons are a niche market for sure. Fact of the matter is CUV/SUVs are better wagons than wagons. The market has definitely spoken. The idea of some young dad throwing his uber wago into a high G sweeper with his family aboard is just such fantasy...lol

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 11:34:52 am »
Wagons are a niche market for sure. Fact of the matter is CUV/SUVs are better wagons than wagons. The market has definitely spoken. The idea of some young dad throwing his uber wago into a high G sweeper with his family aboard is just such fantasy...lol

Not so young dad here but I do that with the STI and the Mazda5 regularly. Kid loves it, wife, not so much  ;D.  Would totally do it in a wagon  ;)

One time, we were heading to a family party in the Mazda5 with my in-laws driving behind me.  We were running late so rushing a bit.  When we got to the party, my father-in-laws says to me he's never seen a van go on 3 wheels going around a corner before.  The inside rear wheel was lifting up going around one sharp corner, lol.

(Hint, hint, Mike, bring the Levorg over!)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 11:45:31 am »

Not so young dad here but I do that with the STI and the Mazda5 regularly. Kid loves it, wife, not so much  ;D.  Would totally do it in a wagon  ;)

One time, we were heading to a family party in the Mazda5 with my in-laws driving behind me.  We were running late so rushing a bit.  When we got to the party, my father-in-laws says to me he's never seen a van go on 3 wheels going around a corner before.  The inside rear wheel was lifting up going around one sharp corner, lol.

Yeah I get it but get caught pulling that stunt with todays uber state enforcement and watch your car get impounded immediately, mandatory court date and your family standing by the roadside (looking at you B.C.) . Fun times.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:04 am »

Yeah I get it but get caught pulling that stunt with todays uber state enforcement and watch your car get impounded immediately, mandatory court date and your family standing by the roadside (looking at you B.C.) . Fun times.

Dude, don't get me started on the impound :censor: (see my thread https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=99190.0).

Anyway, the 3 wheel thing was a one time thing.  I just meant that having the family with you doesn't necessarily mean no more spirited driving.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:48 pm »

Dude, don't get me started on the impound :censor: (see my thread https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=99190.0).

Anyway, the 3 wheel thing was a one time thing.  I just meant that having the family with you doesn't necessarily mean no more spirited driving.

::)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:56 pm »

The guy chose to go more than 40 km/h over the speed limit to try to pass a trailer, he should've waited for the next passing lane.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »

SW1 had the single cam base motor while the SW2 had the twin cam motor.
W stands for wagon.

Correct.
SOHC 100hp (74.5kW) @ 5000rpm 114 Lb-ft (155Nm) @ 2400rpm, SW1 1086/1100 Kg* man/auto
DOHC 124hp (93.0kW) @ 5600rpm 122 Lb-ft (165Nm) @ 4800rpm, SW2 1114/1129 Kg* man/auto *1998 Cdn brochure
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 10:24:15 am »
Some nice saturn pics there.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 08:24:22 am »
I'd declare that I'm coming out of the closet on this issue but I can't since I've never been in the closet on this issue:  I'm a wagon fan.  The Mazda 6 wagon or the Fusion (Mondeo) wagon would be in my garage now if they were available. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 11:43:29 am »
I'd declare that I'm coming out of the closet on this issue but I can't since I've never been in the closet on this issue:  I'm a wagon fan.  The Mazda 6 wagon or the Fusion (Mondeo) wagon would be in my garage now if they were available.

They are not available? The interwebs is full of them. The only thing holding you back is you. ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 03:15:09 pm »

How about a Buick?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »
CTS V wagon

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 08:59:11 am »

Kia Ceed
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 10:11:53 am »
Looks kinds plain. Perhaps they could lift it a bit and add some outdoorsy cladding?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:54 am »
Looks kinds plain. Perhaps they could lift it a bit and add some outdoorsy cladding?

So, make it more Sport-age?  ;)
The trunk finishing looks very clean and German-like in quality and there are even 2 (!) subwoofers in there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:34:47 am by EV Dan »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:27 am »

So, make it more Sport-age?  ;)
The trunk finishing looks very clean and German-like in quality and there are even 2 (!) subwoofers in there.
That's because the C'eed competes with the Golf (mentioned in that thread), so it has to be of high quality as well.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:06 pm »
If Ford had offered the Mondeo/Fusion wagon in Canada in 2016/2017 I can guarantee you that one of those would be in my garage right now.  Beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  But since our American cousins, and increasingly Canadians too, would rather have the clap than a wagon we can't get them.  Wagons that it.  I could probably get the clap pretty easily with the payment of $50.