Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Ford Edge ST  (Read 1461 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Ford Edge ST
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »
The Edge gets sharpened.
Read more...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Ford Edge ST
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:57:51 pm »
Ford needs a full re-design instead of trying to do this crap...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:32:35 pm »
The interior looks very, very dated.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:49:16 am »
"’I've seen various reviewers bemoan the fact that the 2019 Edge ST, which replaces last year’s Edge Sport, doesn’t behave like some crazed track rat, squishing your eyeballs with its accelerative forces while scooting and rotating like a weasel with ADD. Hello."

Well, dear sir. Ford shouldn't have given it the ST appellation then, now should it? 4597 lbs of doofus SUV when the Germans seem to be able to make their "performance" SUVs handle. This ST is just another Edge trim option with a disinformative name and a bit of a spring stiffness upgrade.

Apparently we are supposed to share the opinions of the jaded, world-weary, enervated and unconcerned journo who wrote a rebuttal of other people's takes on the vehicle in his own "review". That should stop the silly buggers complaining about this cynical marketing exercise. And it allows blame to shift from his delicate self to consumers who "ought to know better" and reviewers willing to criticize Ford. I'd say his press credentials for future automaker junkets are safe and sound. Now we have to wait and observe the take rate on the Edge ST to see if Ford's posturing works. If it does, expect to see the upcoming Ford F150  King Ranch ST shatter the Nurburgring lap record for schoolbuses.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:38:38 am »
 :iagree:
It's a bit much.  Both his defense of porky SUVs nee track stars and the vehicle's own avoirdupois.  Did you notice the sticker price of the as-tested unit?  Almost $60,000!  Couple that with the meh interior and you wonder at the value proposition. Lots of other and better choices in that end of the automotive gene pool.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:46:59 am »
Chiming in here as one of the reviewers that felt this way too. There is nothing wrong with the Edge ST as it sits. It's a great crossover. But it shouldn't have the ST badge and it should have a nicer interior or a lower price point. There's the whole line about Ford's take on ST models in that they have to outperform the base model by a certain margin and be able to make it around the track a number of times without brakes fading, etc. Blah blah blah. Literally nobody that will buy an Edge ST will care about those things. They like knowing they have the top-of-the-line Edge when it comes to performance and that it looks snarly. If it were my money, the Titanium trim seems like a much better price proposition if I want all the good things.

In addition, I feel very strongly that the ST's predecessor, last year's Edge Sport, was significantly more responsive - particularly off the line. That's with less power and two less gears. I was genuinely disappointed that the ST wasn't explosive off the line, where I remember the Sport being exactly that. If it's not, then why pony up that much more dough for it?

Definitely agree with you guys on this.