Author Topic: 18 inch alloy wheels on the new 2019 Honda Touring Coupe  (Read 5613 times)

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
18 inch alloy wheels on the new 2019 Honda Touring Coupe
« on: December 27, 2018, 09:03:22 pm »
I think this would look rather cool on an already nice looking car, although I was wondering if they would adjust the wheel wells or just jam on the larger wheels. My fear would be that the larger wheels would collect snow and ice and make winter driving even more difficult.

I was also wondering if this would ad a little bit more ground clearance and overall seating height?

I test drove a 2018 Touring Coupe this summer and it was a lovely ride.

I am waiting for a nasty snow day to test a Hyundai Kona (with a turbo and all the bells and whistles) I like the Black on Black one best. The Kona is getting good reviews from J. D. Powers and customers who have purchased one... time will tell.  If it turns into one of those miserable snow and ice winters, that might make my mind up for me.

Both cars "optioned out" are the same price, although the Honda Civic seems to make a bit more of a statement... on a nice day :-)

Any thoughts or opinions?  :-) 
LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: 18 inch alloy wheels on the new 2019 Honda Touring Coupe
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:05:25 pm »
You should be running dedicated winter tires in the winter anyways...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:06:53 pm »
Quite true, I always wear 4 winter tires in the winter.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 12:07:50 pm »
The Civic's styling doesn't seem to be wearing well IMHO.  This is a startling admission, given that about this time about 2 years ago I was seriously thinking of getting either a Touring or Si Coupe.  That said, larger wheels aren't going to fill your wheel wells any more than the standard size ones assuming you keep the same overal diameter, which is something you need to do unless you want to introduce speedometer error.  They might *look* like they fill the wheel wells better and that's the whole point, isn't it?  That, plus the consequent shorter sidewalls aiding in handling.

I like the Kona.  Those small SUV-lets are pretty practical and in the Kona's case it is also nicely proportioned.  Certainly nicer looking than the HR-V.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 12:36:24 pm »
18" isn't all that bad.  My 2008 Civic SI had 18's, and they seemed to do just fine.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:34:14 pm »
The Civic's styling doesn't seem to be wearing well IMHO.  This is a startling admission, given that about this time about 2 years ago I was seriously thinking of getting either a Touring or Si Coupe.  That said, larger wheels aren't going to fill your wheel wells any more than the standard size ones assuming you keep the same overal diameter, which is something you need to do unless you want to introduce speedometer error.  They might *look* like they fill the wheel wells better and that's the whole point, isn't it?  That, plus the consequent shorter sidewalls aiding in handling.

I like the Kona.  Those small SUV-lets are pretty practical and in the Kona's case it is also nicely proportioned.  Certainly nicer looking than the HR-V.

What is IMHO? What bothers you and others about the Civic, do you think that they will change the facia on it soon to get some excitement back?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »

What is IMHO? What bothers you and others about the Civic, do you think that they will change the facia on it soon to get some excitement back?
Fake vents, louvers and the general shape.  Don't get me wrong, it's worlds better than its predecessor but it's a bit much for me.  Honda's not the only culprit, of course.  We found the fake exhausts in the rear bumper on the new Q5 a big turnoff when we were shopping.  Some cars have fake exhaust outlets stuffed with reflectors.  Also dumb and a bit of obvious fakery.  I'm a big fan of form following function and I don't see why designers think we want that type of automotive jewellery.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »

Fake vents, louvers and the general shape.  Don't get me wrong, it's worlds better than its predecessor but it's a bit much for me.  Honda's not the only culprit, of course.  We found the fake exhausts in the rear bumper on the new Q5 a big turnoff when we were shopping.  Some cars have fake exhaust outlets stuffed with reflectors.  Also dumb and a bit of obvious fakery.  I'm a big fan of form following function and I don't see why designers think we want that type of automotive jewellery.
Does the fake dual exhaust on the TT bother you?

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:49:38 pm »
If you don't mind paying extra to have worse gas mileage, worse acceleration, and a harsher ride, then sure. And oh yeah, tires for bigger wheels are also more expensive.

Bigger wheels are pretty much worse in every way except for the bling factor. IMO the 17" wheels look just fine on the Civic. It's a good compromise between looks and functionality.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:51:21 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 06:50:40 pm »

I sense a trap! My 3.2 has dual functioning exhaust outlets that come out of a single muffler, and fed by a single exhaust system all the way to the downpipe/exhaust manifold. So...is that fake?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 07:02:53 pm »

I sense a trap! My 3.2 has dual functioning exhaust outlets that come out of a single muffler, and fed by a single exhaust system all the way to the downpipe/exhaust manifold. So...is that fake?
Yes...it's not a dual exhaust if it only has 1 muffler. In this case it's a 2-1-1 set up...the last number denoting single or dual exhaust.

That second tip coming out of the single muffler is just eye candy in this case....which is fine. My point being sometimes "fake" stuff is there for styling purposes only...and often it works...as in the TT.

I like the dual look on the TT even if the 2nd tip serves no purpose.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 07:22:28 pm »
So the curl of exhaust that comes out of *both* exhaust tips indicates that one of them is a fake?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 07:25:07 pm »
So the curl of exhaust that comes out of *both* exhaust tips indicates that one of them is a fake?
2 mufflers is dual exhaust my friend...

I have a curl of exhaust that comes out of 4 tips...do I have a quad exhaust then? :)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 07:38:52 pm »
In my books, if you have catalyzed post-combustion gases and other recombinant chemical byproducts of combustion coming out of any number of orifices/pipes from a muffler, each and every one of the tips associated with exactly one each of aforementioned exit orifices is not fake, pseudo, virtual or any word you wish to describe it. If, like your IS-F, you have dual exhaust tips connected to each of two orifices/pipes attached to two separate mufflers for a total of four exhaust tips connected to 2 mufflers, then you have achieved an ascendant state of fakery and automotive shamanism. Any number of Plastiac products such as Grand AMs and Sunfires are guilty of this.

Executive summary: I respectfully disagree.  :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 01:57:15 am »

You can disagree even if you're technically wrong. :)

Just so I'm clear, you think both of the below configurations are dual exhaust?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 07:38:44 am »
My fear would be that the larger wheels would collect snow and ice and make winter driving even more difficult.

I'm confused. Are you wanting to buy 18 inch wheels/tires for a winter setup? If so, why bother and just get a 17 inch setup. If you want 18's for summer sure why not if you are willing to accept everything that goes with it.

BTW, my GTI with 17's in the winter. Good luck.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:19:41 am »

I usually put mine on my car.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:56 am »

I usually put mine on my car.

:laugh:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »

You can disagree even if you're technically wrong. :)

Just so I'm clear, you think both of the below configurations are dual exhaust?

1st picture is dual tips. I would also say  the second is technically dual tips as well. IMHO. Since both of those pipes are coming out of a single resonator. Hard to see, but it looks to me like it has a single pipe going into that resonator. If it is a single pipe that is connected to a Y-pipe from a V engine, then IMHO it is not true dual exhaust.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 09:38:43 pm »
^^

On a V motor; 2 headers into 2 cats into 2 pipes then into the resonator and then 2 pipes out and on to the mufflers ... makes for dual exhausts.

The second pics is lousy but it appears it is also a single exhaust.

For example all Vettes in the 70s were single exhaust with dual tips.  They all had 2 headers obviously and then a y pipe leading into a big cat and then from there it split back to dual exhausts.