Author Topic: Out with the old, in with the new...  (Read 15320 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Out with the old, in with the new...
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 09:04:02 am »
One follow up.  When I wrote the initial post, it had been wet and icy for a couple of weeks.  Now we've had some drier days (even though still cold) with more grip, I have managed to test the acceleration and handling a bit more on the country lanes around me.

In 'D' it's not bad, peppy, but changes up too early just to save fuel.  In 'S' it's much more sporty, but tends to hold onto gears for a bit too long, makes it sound like you're a boy racer in a residential area.  So if you wanted a fully auto mode, something in between 'D' and 'S' would be perfect.  I actually found the same in the C63. 'S+' was perfect for spirited driving, but never used the higher gears so you would have to change out of it on faster roads/highway.

So I've started just using the paddles to change manually, which to be honest works a treat.  The paddles are smaller than the AMG ones, and pretty much hidden behind the wheel, but actually feel nicer to shift.  This mode is perfect.  The engine and gearbox work really well together, and the exhaust note isn't too bad at all. So another thing that has exceeded my expectations now that I've had a chance to throw it around a bit.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but I'm sure the headlights turn with the curve...  No I haven't read the spec/manual yet, too much to do!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 09:15:00 am »

Yeah. You likely have the adaptive headlights.

There are a few DSG tunes out there that will fix your gripe about the shift points.  My TDI did the same but the latest emissions fix changed the sport mode to not hold onto the gears as long. It's now perfect.

Wish the TDIs came with the paddle shifters.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 09:17:07 am »
One follow up.  When I wrote the initial post, it had been wet and icy for a couple of weeks.  Now we've had some drier days (even though still cold) with more grip, I have managed to test the acceleration and handling a bit more on the country lanes around me.

In 'D' it's not bad, peppy, but changes up too early just to save fuel.  In 'S' it's much more sporty, but tends to hold onto gears for a bit too long, makes it sound like you're a boy racer in a residential area.  So if you wanted a fully auto mode, something in between 'D' and 'S' would be perfect.  I actually found the same in the C63. 'S+' was perfect for spirited driving, but never used the higher gears so you would have to change out of it on faster roads/highway.

So I've started just using the paddles to change manually, which to be honest works a treat.  The paddles are smaller than the AMG ones, and pretty much hidden behind the wheel, but actually feel nicer to shift.  This mode is perfect.  The engine and gearbox work really well together, and the exhaust note isn't too bad at all. So another thing that has exceeded my expectations now that I've had a chance to throw it around a bit.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but I'm sure the headlights turn with the curve...  No I haven't read the spec/manual yet, too much to do!  :rofl2:

Wish there was a dial, like a volume knob, to adjust shift points.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 10:01:21 am »

Yeah. You likely have the adaptive headlights.

There are a few DSG tunes out there that will fix your gripe about the shift points.  My TDI did the same but the latest emissions fix changed the sport mode to not hold onto the gears as long. It's now perfect.

Wish the TDIs came with the paddle shifters.
I assume the shift column has a manual option?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 10:05:16 am »
Wow, just catching up on this.  Great post and pics!  :thumbup: 

Can't go wrong with the GTI!  Coworker of mine bought one a few weeks ago.  He's coming from an WRX and is loving the GTI. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 10:28:22 am »
I assume the shift column has a manual option?

Aye.  Slide it to the right and you're in manual mode and you can change gears by moving it forward or back.  But the shift action is backwards so a downshift is back and an upshift is forward.  I very rarely use it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 11:07:45 am »
I found that backwards action of the gear lever  incredibly annoying on my 2008 Mk V as well and never used it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 11:17:35 am »
Late to the party as always but I’m catching up! Nice find and a thoroughly excellent car! Your remarks about the DSG are spot on with regards to its two personalities. I use the paddles in daily driving unless I am lazy but always leave the DSG in full computer wizard mode at the track. Of course your car is a lot newer than the TT, so I have a question.  Do you find it difficult to get a smooth takeoff from a full stop? My Gen of DSGs are known for that foible, so I was wondering if they have engineered that lurchy-ness out?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 11:38:29 am »
Late to the party as always but I’m catching up! Nice find and a thoroughly excellent car! Your remarks about the DSG are spot on with regards to its two personalities. I use the paddles in daily driving unless I am lazy but always leave the DSG in full computer wizard mode at the track. Of course your car is a lot newer than the TT, so I have a question.  Do you find it difficult to get a smooth takeoff from a full stop? My Gen of DSGs are known for that foible, so I was wondering if they have engineered that lurchy-ness out?

Thanks.  Yes it's not that bad from 0 in 1st gear, the AMG was way worse actually, you either had to be in comfort mode (slow) or had to be ready to launch!  I only really feel the gear change in this car going from 2nd to 1st when slowing down, that's the only jerkiness, which is probably expected given the ratios.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 12:05:47 pm »
You might find a throttle controller agreeable as a nice compromise between D and S modes.

Everyone I know with a FGC has fallen in love with these....and I love mine.

My IS-F is somewhat similar in this regard. In Sport mode (in D) if you leave a stop aggressively, then let off..it will hold the gear. But I like the sharpened throttle response.

So I got a throttle controller...and now in D the throttle is much, much more crisp with no gear holding. The throttle controller in Sport along with manual mode is pretty bonkers!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 05:14:09 pm »

Thanks.  Yes it's not that bad from 0 in 1st gear, the AMG was way worse actually, you either had to be in comfort mode (slow) or had to be ready to launch!  I only really feel the gear change in this car going from 2nd to 1st when slowing down, that's the only jerkiness, which is probably expected given the ratios.

Yeah, I was thinking more on takeoff, it seems like the transmission control unit ("mechatronic" in the TT) is very averse to slipping the clutch so it's hard to get a smooth launch.  All the other gear changes are imperceptible and incredibly fast.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »
I did a bit of digging on here and ordered some mats from Maxpider 3D, based on Roger's recommendation and a bit of research.  I wasn't that impressed with the last two sets of Weathertechs I got, they started to curl after a while.  With all their rah rah-ing about being 'made in 'murica' maybe they have started to cheap out on plastics...  Anyway the Maxpider's look really good, still waiting on delivery so I'll let you know.

Very happy with these mats! Roger called it.  I won't be buying Weathertech again.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 06:24:26 pm »
Couple of shots of my claybarring this weekend.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2019, 06:27:10 pm »
Not too different IIRC, if anything they might be a tad cheaper due to less brand recognition.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2019, 06:33:19 pm »

Very happy with these mats! Roger called it.  I won't be buying Weathertech again.

We've been less thrilled with the ones for the TT.  They don't come with anchors to fit the OEM anchor holes in the floor.  But there's a cut-out to go over said anchor hole in the floor mat.  But no cover for the anchor hole.  So you have a floormat with 2 big holes in it.

I've called 2X to try and get some type of cover...which they said they could do....and I'm still waiting.  These were ordered at X-mas to give you an idea of timeline.

Quality of the mats is much better looking than the Weathertechs I have in the IS-F though!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2019, 06:38:10 pm »
How much of a wall do they have around the anchor hole? If  there is little to no wall then all then the whole mat just acts like a funnel. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2019, 06:39:29 pm »
How much of a wall do they have around the anchor hole? If  there is little to no wall then all then the whole mat just acts like a funnel.

If I remember, I'll snap pics.

It just looks unfinished and a bit unsightly...plus nothing mechanical anchoring the floormat.  But the material underneath that keeps it from slipping seems to be doing a decent job...these interesting (and likely high tech) little fiber fingers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:48:02 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2019, 07:01:25 pm »
I had IQ snap me a pic.

See how there's no cover?

Looks unfinished.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 07:18:31 pm »
I did a bit of digging on here and ordered some mats from Maxpider 3D, based on Roger's recommendation and a bit of research.  I wasn't that impressed with the last two sets of Weathertechs I got, they started to curl after a while.  With all their rah rah-ing about being 'made in 'murica' maybe they have started to cheap out on plastics...  Anyway the Maxpider's look really good, still waiting on delivery so I'll let you know.

Cool beans. Mine have held up quite well.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2019, 09:31:18 am »
I got the same intermittent EPC light as Johnny Mac, so took it in as it was due for an oil change anyway.  Full turbo replacement.  I'm sure it would have been a big bill had it not been under warranty.

Funnily enough it doesn't make me more worried about keeping it.  If anything, the more they replace now the less later right, right?!  :rofl2: