Author Topic: Out with the old, in with the new...  (Read 15324 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Out with the old, in with the new...
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:05 am »
The Findway mats for the Mk7 fit great.

Nice choice on the GTI.  How do you like the Mk7 compared to the Mk6 you used to have?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 11:52:24 am »
Thanks everyone!  ;D

Couple more things.

I never really gelled with the wheel design on the Summers/OEM.  They look good no doubt, but I've always preferred 5 spokes or a derivative.  And the 19" was a pain in the ass, literally.  I actually breathed a sigh of relief when the Winter's went on, the ride was so much better.  This continues with the GTI, the handling is great and the ride is firm without being crashy.

The other thing I am surprised at about the Golf is that I really like it just the way it is, no tint, no chip, no lowering kit etc.  Not sure if I'll change anything at all.  When I lowered the Golf Wagon I had it did make the ride harsher, not sure if I want to do that again, even if I do like the look.

Honestly, the real world performance isn't that far off the C63 speed wise.  Yes you don't get the ridiculous noise and the huge acceleration, but there are limited places to really use that, so I'm not missing much.  Plus I always felt a bit guilty overtaking people.  Someone would be driving at say 90kph and I wanted to get past as I was averaging a bit higher, so I got to overtake, nothing aggressive, I just wanted to drive a bit quicker than them...  And then it shifts down, and roars past going AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! FUUUUUCCCCCKKKK YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!! when I just wanted to quietly sneak past... So people think you're driving super aggressively because of the noise, when you're just being safe and overtaking quickly.  :rofl2:

I did a bit of digging on here and ordered some mats from Maxpider 3D, based on Roger's recommendation and a bit of research.  I wasn't that impressed with the last two sets of Weathertechs I got, they started to curl after a while.  With all their rah rah-ing about being 'made in 'murica' maybe they have started to cheap out on plastics...  Anyway the Maxpider's look really good, still waiting on delivery so I'll let you know.

Any yes Brig', two VW's again.  Which is great as I still have a load of VW spec oil in the basement!  :rofl2:  Also the payments on this car are much lower, so should be fully paid off fairly soon, which would be great.  Shopping around I still find some of the German manufacturers offer way better interest rates (new & CPO) compared to either domestic or some of the Japanese brands.  Honda was 4.99% for example, fook that.

Yes Derek, the neighbour needs another method of being woken up now  :rofl2:  my services in that department are being retired until the Spring, when the bikes come out again!  I was thinking of your great experience when I made my decision.

Yes KTM, I've always cross-shopped a fairly diverse list.  My only requirements were 4 doors, good fuel economy, fun, and reasonable servicing costs.  We have the Tiguan for utilitarian stuff.

Tortoise, many of the things are very similar design wise, so I like the familiarity, but the technology is much better.  The larger screen is really nice, and everything just feels a bit more luxury, it still feels very high end, even compared to the AMG.

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »

Someone would be driving at say 90kph and I wanted to get past as I was averaging a bit higher, so I got to overtake, nothing aggressive, I just wanted to drive a bit quicker than them...  And then it shifts down, and roars past going AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! FUUUUUCCCCCKKKK YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!! when I just wanted to quietly sneak past... So people think you're driving super aggressively because of the noise, when you're just being safe and overtaking quickly.  :rofl2:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Too funny! And I admit it, unfair as it is, I do think negatively of the driver, every time some loud-ass '63 Merc passes me. Hey, at least yours wasn't a G-wagen, with its much greater "F--- You, Poors!" factor   ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:12:08 pm by lebowski »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 12:34:03 pm »
Honestly, the real world performance isn't that far off the C63 speed wise.  Yes you don't get the ridiculous noise and the huge acceleration, but there are limited places to really use that, so I'm not missing much.  Plus I always felt a bit guilty overtaking people.  Someone would be driving at say 90kph and I wanted to get past as I was averaging a bit higher, so I got to overtake, nothing aggressive, I just wanted to drive a bit quicker than them...  And then it shifts down, and roars past going AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! FUUUUUCCCCCKKKK YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!! when I just wanted to quietly sneak past... So people think you're driving super aggressively because of the noise, when you're just being safe and overtaking quickly.  :rofl2:

Hmmmm... I have my doubts about this one... I think you wanted to give em the one finger salute, you could've just tipped into the throttle a little bit & not mashed it to the floor every time  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 12:44:39 pm »

Hmmmm... I have my doubts about this one... I think you wanted to give em the one finger salute, you could've just tipped into the throttle a little bit & not mashed it to the floor every time  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:
his throttle had binary mapping...1 (WOT) or 0 (idle)...there is no in between, nor should there be in that beast.  ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:15 pm »
One of my best friends had a C63, loved the car, and it was actually a very well made car, he never had any issues with it. But like you Bob he had fun with it, and eventually tired of the rabid-pit-bull personality of it.

He replaced his with an ND Miata and a Ridgeline and had no regrets. None about owning the MB or about his eventual switch.

I haven’t driven the new Honda R, but can say that the GTI I have driven was the best FWD chassis I’ve experienced.  I haven’t had a FWD car as my personal vehicle (the Corolla is my wife’s car) in over 25 years, but were I shopping for a FWD machine I’d strongly consider the GTI.

Nice move, and great pics, as always.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 12:57:48 pm »
Fantastic post, pics and cars. Congrats!

I reviewed a GTI last year in the same config as yours, and loved every minute of it. It's nowhere as loud as an AMG, but it has a pleasant raspy tone.

The tester gave me a bit of buyer's remorse, picking the e-tron over a GTI with the Dieselgate moolah, but 1.9 l/100km lifetime avg really rocks.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »

his throttle had binary mapping...1 (WOT) or 0 (idle)...there is no in between, nor should there be in that beast.  ;D

:cheers:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 01:50:38 pm »
Well done - Used AMG ownership off the bucketlist, unscathed.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 04:19:09 pm »
Good choice, enjoy!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 05:42:01 pm »
Great write up.  Of course I'm a bit biased with having a Golf R but I think the GTI was the correct choice out of those.  I'm sure it's less of a shock to the system than any of those other choices.

Saving a bit of money and keeping a practical and fun car in the stable is exactly how you move on from such a killer Merc.  You'll always have those memories and you moved on before it started to go wrong and cost you boat loads to keep right.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 05:51:31 pm »
Well done - Used AMG ownership off the bucketlist, unscathed.
Railton

Yep!  :banana:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 05:58:33 pm »
Great write up.  Of course I'm a bit biased with having a Golf R but I think the GTI was the correct choice out of those.  I'm sure it's less of a shock to the system than any of those other choices.

Saving a bit of money and keeping a practical and fun car in the stable is exactly how you move on from such a killer Merc.  You'll always have those memories and you moved on before it started to go wrong and cost you boat loads to keep right.

I could have gotten the R, but I tend to have a very heavy right foot, and needed to slow down.  I did get a ticket about 6 months ago, funnily enough in the Tiguan, doing 120 in an 80.  Second one ever in my life.  Luckily the kind sir reduced it to 15 over I think. But it was a good wake up call, as I was averaging well over 1XX on the way to work, and getting closer to double that onto the 401 on-ramp.  So I needed something more sedate.

As I said, I have the bikes for speed thrills.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »
great story, thanks for sharing

That Merc sure was something special, that engine is Hall of Fame worthy.

GTI is a great choice for "reigning it in"
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:19 pm »
The other thing I am surprised at about the Golf is that I really like it just the way it is, no tint, no chip, no lowering kit etc.  Not sure if I'll change anything at all.  When I lowered the Golf Wagon I had it did make the ride harsher, not sure if I want to do that again, even if I do like the look.

I actually think the MKVII looks great stock and doesn't need to be lowered. Now my MKV is another story.

I could have gotten the R, but I tend to have a very heavy right foot, and needed to slow down. 

I find it funny that a GTI is the choice for slowing down.  I guess everything is relative.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 10:20:23 pm »
Nice pictures and writeup.

As a fellow MKVII owner I largely agree with your assessment. It's a well laid out car.

I'm sure you'll miss the merc but it's great you were able to experience it for some time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 10:29:13 pm »

I find it funny that a GTI is the choice for slowing down.  I guess everything is relative.

Take it easy...GTIs aren't that quick... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 10:51:59 pm »
Glad you thoroughly enjiyed the C63 without any expensive repairs - I can imagine that it was a total hoot to drive when those opportunities to let it stretch its legs popped up.  Nice to hear that the transition to the GTI has been good.  And as others have said, your pics are fantastic.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:56 pm »

I guess you could say, it's more the choice for spirited driving when you feel like it, rather than when the car feels like it, which was all the frickin' time.  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 11:47:23 pm »
Glad you thoroughly enjiyed the C63 without any expensive repairs - I can imagine that it was a total hoot to drive when those opportunities to let it stretch its legs popped up.  Nice to hear that the transition to the GTI has been good.  And as others have said, your pics are fantastic.

Thanks for all the comments on the pics, I really appreciate it!