Author Topic: Out with the old, in with the new...  (Read 15318 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Out with the old, in with the new...
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:55:58 pm »
So, I decided to say goodbye to the C63, and get something a little more fiscally responsible. 

The main reason for buying this car was the engine.  It's so special it's ridiculous.  Yes the car is stupid fast, but even just starting it up, and driving at a (relatively) normal pace, puts a massive grin on your face.  The one I had also had the performance pack, which upped the power to 481bhp.  I ummed and ahhed between this car and an M3 when I was deciding, but I don't think the BMW engine is as special as this one.  It's very good, but not as vocal. 

I do believe this is one of the last of the truly great NA engines of our time.  Turbos, hybrids, electric motors etc. are all going to replace cubic inches, and the latest are actually pretty good at it.  But I wanted the chance to own this whilst I could.  Just the thought of a four door family sedan with a 6.2L V8 is still hilarious.

I did actually want to get a sticker for the back saying, "Please overtake, limited to 280"  ;D

It was actually very practical inside.  The rear seats fold down completely flat, so I could get all manner of stuff from Canadian Tire in there.  Fuel consumption was about 13L/100km, so not perfect, but not ridiculous either.  The seats were just perfect, super figure hugging, not many cars can compare to be honest.  Even some 'sports cars' have way wider sofa like seats compared to this, I'll miss these for sure.

The kids (and their friends) also loved it too.  The problem with 440lb-ft of torque and 480bhp is that you tend to want to use it a lot.  Which means lots of overtaking.  I think my kids now have a completely unnatural view of how long an overtake actually takes.  I'll have to recalibrate them.  The funny thing about all that power is that it's very easy to overtake anyone, ever.  So even if you have some muppet that decides their feelings are hurt, and they start accelerating, you just leave them behind, instantly.

Obviously, after a while, you have to learn to rein it in.  And that's part of the reason for getting rid of it.  For commuting it feels like it's straining at the leash ALL THE TIME, and every time you decide to have a bit of fun, you're well into licence losing territory in a couple of seconds.  It actually did pretty well in the Winter.  I got some 'AMG look' snows (above), and the electronics are astounding at keeping you on the road in all conditions.

Yes this was my Winter beater.  :rofl2:

I did have one final hurrah before trading it in a couple of weeks ago.  I drove Elliot and I down to West Virginia and back to visit the Green Bank Telescope which is truly spectacular.  I didn't really think too much about the car until we got into VA/WV.  Holy sh!t those mountain roads were just a total playground, we had an absolute ball.  Which is probably why I had no rear tread left at all!  :rofl2:

The scale of this thing is unbelievable. 

485ft tall, the area of the dish is 2.3 acres, and it weighs over 16 million pounds.

So, sad to see the car go, sort of relieved I never had a ridiculous repair bill, and very happy to know I was one of the very fortunate owners of a wonderful machine.

On to the new.  I cross-shopped a ton of different vehicles, and ended up with a shortlist that consisted of a Honda Ridgeline, a Hyundai Kona EV, a Jeep, and a Golf GTI/R.  In order of dealers I visited:

#1 on my list was the Ridgeline.  Partly because just once I want to own a truck, and partly because it means I can carry the dirt bike around without having to use a trailer.  I looked at a few trucks, and I considered this the best for my needs.  But I just couldn't for the life of me get Honda to give me a decent trade in for the C63.  No idea why...  So that was out.

#2 was a Jeep.  The latest new and improved model.  I actually still really like everything about owning a Jeep, but I just couldn't get past the shitty fuel mileage.  I have a fairly long commute, and it was worse than the C63, without the practicality of a truck to offset it.  Also, optioned up, you're getting towards, if not over $50K.  Not sure I could justify that for a Jeep.

#3 was the Kona EV.  A compromise for sure, but it could get me to work and back twice on one charge.  And I believe if you're going to go EV you might as well go all in, I didn't want something that could just do 30-50km on hydro.  Also probably way better build quality than a Tesla.  I like the idea of having a totally electric car, it's the complete opposite of the C63, and that's OK, that's progression.  I already owned the T-Rex.  In the end two things killed the Kona.  The delivery dates being Feb/March, and the fact that at $45K-$50K, it's such a premium over the gas model it doesn't make financial sense.  One day it will make perfect sense.  That day I will buy an electric car.

#4, lastly the golf.  Like many on this forum, I love FGC's.  The design language, the 'character', I don't know what it is, I just keep coming back to them.  I decided that I needed to slow down, so didn't need the R, and started looking for a decent GTI.  Had a look at a few, and found a really nice 2017, with low km's just down the road from me.  Went to see it, deal done.  The trade in value also meant I paid no HST which was also a bonus.

Some pics:

So it's the Autobahn model, with the full tech package, rear camera, sensors up the wazoo!  I love the interior design, and it's in mint condition, it barely looks like it's been sat in!  And the snows I had also fit perfectly.  In fact the 235/255 F/R fill the arches very well indeed, love it!

Originally I looked at manuals, but decided to get the DSG, partly so that my better half would feel comfortable driving it (important), but also because the DSG is pretty highly rated, especially by a VW tech friend of mine.

Funny thing is, I went into this expecting to not be blown away, expecting to be just 'satisfied' with my frugal little hatch, but it just keeps exceeding my expectations.  The interior is amazing, the technology (adaptive cruise/lane guidance/back up warning) much as I hate to admit it because I'm a 'driver' is frickin' unbelievable.  The hatch is just what I wanted from a practicality perspective, the handling is fantastic, and the acceleration is also way better than I expected.  The little flappy paddles work well if you feel like using them, the heated seats are really nice, there are just so many things I love about this car, that I didn't know I would.

And on the fiscally responsible side, my fuel bill has dropped by nearly half, and my insurance went down $450.

I'm really happy with this car, can't say it enough.  I spend most of the Summer using motorcycles, so when I need a speed fix I will always have that.

:)

Bye bye AMG

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Out with the old, in with the new...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:08:59 pm »
That was a sweet Merc you had, it's the one I'd get over any of the new ones! Also, the GTI is the hatchback I'd get over any of the other hatch offerings out there, so good choice, lol!

Congrats on the new ride & sorry to see the C63 go...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:09:04 pm »
You saved $450 on insurance?

That leaves money for a TUNE!!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:09:57 pm »
What a great post, and wonderful story.  I love those cars.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 11:25:30 pm »
Two fantastic cars.  And your pics are still second to none, Rob.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 11:51:10 pm »
Really enjoyed the write-up, Rob. Cool to read the C63 was neither as bad on gas nor in the snow as many would've expected. Congrats on the GTI (great spec indeed)  and also on making the most of your C63 ownership experience.  8)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:48:16 am »
Congrants on the GTI. Sounds like the ownership experience of the AMG was just about perfect - no major repairs and still fun to the end.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 03:01:03 am »
What a great write-up, with first rate pics and well. Congrats on the new ride - GTI is never the wrong choice.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:23:05 am »
Good story and great photos  :thumbup: :thumbup:. Top choice with the Golf GTI, can't go wrong there.

Enjoy the drive !
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 05:06:55 am »
Great write up....should be an article in an auto mag.  ;D
Congrats on the VW!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 06:47:17 am »
I have such a soft spot for VWs... now you've got two!  Congrats on the new ride, Rob.  Such a great hatch. 

Will we be seeing you in the Upside Down Major thread?   ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 07:13:57 am »
So does this mean your neighbour now needs to buy an alarm clock?

Sad to hear the C63 is gone but happy you had a great time with it. With so many fun and great cars out there, you have to move on.

Congrats on the GTI. Obviously I'm biased but I also agree with everything you said about it. I still love mine after 240,000 kms and have a hard time thinking of something to replace it with when the time comes.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 07:56:29 am »
Thanks for sharing, great story and photos. That C63 is awesome, not sure I'd be as willing to give it up as you were, but like others have said, a GTI is a fantastic car and a good choice. It looks good with those AMG reps on it too.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 09:23:40 am »
great write up and congrats on the new ride it looks great, enjoy

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 09:45:21 am »
Yes great write up! Enjoy the VW!  :drive:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 10:21:12 am »
Well that's a downgrade.  :P

Jealous that your GTI has the big screen and Apple CarPlay, missed that on my 2015.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:44 am »
great choice with the GTI (likely cheaper than the new Kona EV too)...the GTI (Golf family in general) is such a great car...efficient, practical, fun...a great daily driver with some zip to it...you'll have years of happy driving with it...congrats! :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 10:43:44 am »
Echo the great pics and story comments. Thinking staying with the Panzerwaffe was probably your only real option after owning such an ultimate beast

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 11:00:59 am »
What a diverse list of potential replacements. Good choice and nice pics.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:26 am »
Hey, make sure you get a nice set of weathertechs or something similar for the GTI so you can keep the summer mats nice and clean.