Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger  (Read 19186 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 08:10:52 pm »
This oil filter thing is tolerable, but 16K km or a year oil change (5W30) is just typical Ford; always playing the SHORT game.   DI, sans port injection, turbo and Group 2 oil will result in a nasty pile of carbon after 5 years/100K km that the resale will be .... sh*t.  The D3 never look long.

Yeah, but how many buyers of new cars actually look for long term durability. Most care about the infotainment system and LED headlights......

I’ve never had a car past 80k lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because all you drive are Ford's...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »
This oil filter thing is tolerable, but 16K km or a year oil change (5W30) is just typical Ford; always playing the SHORT game.   DI, sans port injection, turbo and Group 2 oil will result in a nasty pile of carbon after 5 years/100K km that the resale will be .... sh*t.  The D3 never look long.

Yeah, but how many buyers of new cars actually look for long term durability. Most care about the infotainment system and LED headlights......

I’ve never had a car past 80k lol

That's because all you drive are Ford's...

Naw I like shiny things and get tired of a car fairly fast...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2019, 01:11:45 pm »
Not that I am ever going to change my oil but this is dumb and what were they thinking.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/diyers-take-note-the-2019-ford-rangers-oil-change-procedure-contains-a-big-extra-step/
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/ownership/changing-your-2019-ford-rangers-oil-you-better-take-off-that-front-left-wheel-then/ar-BBRNMRy?li=AAggFp0

Easiest way to get at thr filter on my civic is also to remove the wheel, not a big deal imo.

I disagree.  I remember having to do it on mine.  It was a stupid design then, and it is a stupid design now.

A PITA indeed. Not sure if the dealer would charge extra for such an "oil change" but an independent garage will definitely add $10-$20 to the bill because it now takes twice the usual time. The aforementioned filter relocation plumbing will likely void the warranty should something go wrong with the engine, even for an unrelated reason.

So, if doing an oil change on a 4-post lift, it isn't so bad, as the vehicle is already in the air, and taking a wheel off isn't too bad.

BUT, if you're doing it at home, it necessitates jacking up the front of the vehicle and putting it on jackstands, which adds an extra layer of complexity to what is supposed to be a simple service.  Any other vehicle you can just drive up on ramps, or, if you're skinny enough, slide underneath without raising the vehicle at all.

Mind you, Toyota went backwards with the Tacoma, as well.  On the old 4.0L, the filter was located on top of the engine, within easy reach when the hood was open.  Plus it self-drained, so little mess when removing it.  On the new 3.5 they put the filter (canister) underneath the engine in a more traditional spot.  Sure, now it's like almost every other vehicle, but it used to be a lot better.

I agree that it is a silly design and that better placement would make the job easier. However, no one I know is skinny enough to crawl under my civic to do an oil change without lifting it somehow. I already own a hydraulic jack and jackstands for other services (tire changes, etc.) so why bother with ramps, just more junk to store in the garage.

For both my car and this new ranger, it is certainly less then ideal but in no way a deal breaker. The multiple plastic clips and access panels that need to be remove is more of pain than removing a wheel IMO. YMMV.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »
Not that I am ever going to change my oil but this is dumb and what were they thinking.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/diyers-take-note-the-2019-ford-rangers-oil-change-procedure-contains-a-big-extra-step/
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/ownership/changing-your-2019-ford-rangers-oil-you-better-take-off-that-front-left-wheel-then/ar-BBRNMRy?li=AAggFp0

Easiest way to get at thr filter on my civic is also to remove the wheel, not a big deal imo.

I disagree.  I remember having to do it on mine.  It was a stupid design then, and it is a stupid design now.

A PITA indeed. Not sure if the dealer would charge extra for such an "oil change" but an independent garage will definitely add $10-$20 to the bill because it now takes twice the usual time. The aforementioned filter relocation plumbing will likely void the warranty should something go wrong with the engine, even for an unrelated reason.

So, if doing an oil change on a 4-post lift, it isn't so bad, as the vehicle is already in the air, and taking a wheel off isn't too bad.

BUT, if you're doing it at home, it necessitates jacking up the front of the vehicle and putting it on jackstands, which adds an extra layer of complexity to what is supposed to be a simple service.  Any other vehicle you can just drive up on ramps, or, if you're skinny enough, slide underneath without raising the vehicle at all.

Mind you, Toyota went backwards with the Tacoma, as well.  On the old 4.0L, the filter was located on top of the engine, within easy reach when the hood was open.  Plus it self-drained, so little mess when removing it.  On the new 3.5 they put the filter (canister) underneath the engine in a more traditional spot.  Sure, now it's like almost every other vehicle, but it used to be a lot better.

I agree that it is a silly design and that better placement would make the job easier. However, no one I know is skinny enough to crawl under my civic to do an oil change without lifting it somehow. I already own a hydraulic jack and jackstands for other services (tire changes, etc.) so why bother with ramps, just more junk to store in the garage.

For both my car and this new ranger, it is certainly less then ideal but in no way a deal breaker. The multiple plastic clips and access panels that need to be remove is more of pain than removing a wheel IMO. YMMV.

The fact that following the recommended maintenance schedule by the manufacturer means that most of these won't make it to their 5th birthday is way worse than having to pop a tire off for an oil change.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2019, 02:54:50 pm »

What about the quick lube places that do oil changes from a pit that you drive over?  There's no way those guys are going to jack up the truck and take the wheel off.   So, what are they going to do?  Just skip changing the filter?  What happens when some yuppie who doesn't know any better takes his or her Ranger to Jiffy Lube 3 or 4 times in a row, and that filter ends up not being changed for years at a time?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2019, 03:26:58 pm »
He gets a pink Cadillac loaner from Jiffy Park?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:39 pm »

The fact that following the recommended maintenance schedule by the manufacturer means that most of these won't make it to their 5th birthday is way worse than having to pop a tire off for an oil change.

Let’s check back in 5y...most 2019 Rangers should be getting engine replacements according to your statement :)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2019 Ford Ranger Recall
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2019, 05:16:22 pm »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2019, 05:50:48 pm »
Recalls are better than sweeping it under the rug.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2019, 06:25:37 pm »
Wonder if that's the reason the local dealer moved one out of their showroom? I was at the dealer a couple of days ago looking at one in the showroom.  Brought my work partner later on that day to show him and it was gone.  It was a little over $50k and fully optioned.  Seems a little much considering there was a nice leftover full size crew cab sitting beside it with $18k off.  I guess if you really want a smaller truck. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2019, 06:26:51 pm »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 06:09:28 am »
While I like the exterior and can even get past the motor... the interior is just  :hurl:  This thing needs an interior refresh ASAP!!!!

I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2019, 10:59:35 am »

Amen to that!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:43 am »
Colorado is the newest (Ranger dates to 2012), and the Ridgeline isn't a truck.  ;D

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2019, 09:11:17 am »
Colorado is the newest (Ranger dates to 2012), and the Ridgeline isn't a truck.  ;D

So Ranger got beat by a minivan?  Ouch. 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2019, 09:18:11 am »
It's a pity you guys don't get the Toyota Hilux..... :P

Priced right around the Ford Ranger but indestructible......(and a better interior)
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2019, 09:38:36 am »
It's a pity you guys don't get the Toyota Hilux..... :P

Priced right around the Ford Ranger but indestructible......(and a better interior)

We have the Tacoma which was built more for North American tastes.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2019, 10:51:05 am »

So Ranger got beat by a minivan?  Ouch.

The Ridgeline was best for mall crawling with a purse dog. Ranger was better at the truck stuff.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:20 am »
The Ford Ranger just got beat by the Colorado and the Ridgeline in a Motortrend comparison test.

Link please! I wanna read the comparison - could not find it on MT.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:12 am »
The Ford Ranger just got beat by the Colorado and the Ridgeline in a Motortrend comparison test.

Link please! I wanna read the comparison - could not find it on MT.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/colorado/2019/chevrolet-colorado-ford-ranger-honda-ridgeline-toyota-tacoma-comparison/
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.