Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger  (Read 19187 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:29 am »
Not that I am ever going to change my oil but this is dumb and what were they thinking.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/diyers-take-note-the-2019-ford-rangers-oil-change-procedure-contains-a-big-extra-step/
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/ownership/changing-your-2019-ford-rangers-oil-you-better-take-off-that-front-left-wheel-then/ar-BBRNMRy?li=AAggFp0

Easiest way to get at thr filter on my civic is also to remove the wheel, not a big deal imo.

I disagree.  I remember having to do it on mine.  It was a stupid design then, and it is a stupid design now.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 10:04:35 am »
Not that I am ever going to change my oil but this is dumb and what were they thinking.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/diyers-take-note-the-2019-ford-rangers-oil-change-procedure-contains-a-big-extra-step/
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/ownership/changing-your-2019-ford-rangers-oil-you-better-take-off-that-front-left-wheel-then/ar-BBRNMRy?li=AAggFp0

Easiest way to get at thr filter on my civic is also to remove the wheel, not a big deal imo.

I disagree.  I remember having to do it on mine.  It was a stupid design then, and it is a stupid design now.

A PITA indeed. Not sure if the dealer would charge extra for such an "oil change" but an independent garage will definitely add $10-$20 to the bill because it now takes twice the usual time. The aforementioned filter relocation plumbing will likely void the warranty should something go wrong with the engine, even for an unrelated reason.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 11:06:08 am »

A PITA indeed. Not sure if the dealer would charge extra for such an "oil change" but an independent garage will definitely add $10-$20 to the bill because it now takes twice the usual time. The aforementioned filter relocation plumbing will likely void the warranty should something go wrong with the engine, even for an unrelated reason.

So, if doing an oil change on a 4-post lift, it isn't so bad, as the vehicle is already in the air, and taking a wheel off isn't too bad.

BUT, if you're doing it at home, it necessitates jacking up the front of the vehicle and putting it on jackstands, which adds an extra layer of complexity to what is supposed to be a simple service.  Any other vehicle you can just drive up on ramps, or, if you're skinny enough, slide underneath without raising the vehicle at all.

Mind you, Toyota went backwards with the Tacoma, as well.  On the old 4.0L, the filter was located on top of the engine, within easy reach when the hood was open.  Plus it self-drained, so little mess when removing it.  On the new 3.5 they put the filter (canister) underneath the engine in a more traditional spot.  Sure, now it's like almost every other vehicle, but it used to be a lot better.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »
Not a big deal at all imo....Ford oil changes are $59+tax, I bet this will not require the full synthetic they require in the RS and Mustang.

In addition to that, one can likely drive between 8-16k km so there’s a big chance you will only show up at the dealer once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2019, 04:18:11 pm »
Not a big deal at all imo....Ford oil changes are $59+tax, I bet this will not require the full synthetic they require in the RS and Mustang.

In addition to that, one can likely drive between 8-16k km so there’s a big chance you will only show up at the dealer once a year.

A direct injected 4 cyl turbo engine will not be very happy with dyno oil every 16k... the owner - maybe if it's a 2 year lease.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2019, 04:58:37 pm »

A direct injected 4 cyl turbo engine will not be very happy with dyno oil every 16k... the owner - maybe if it's a 2 year lease.
This.

Extended oil change intervals are typically synthetic.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2019, 06:11:40 pm »
This oil filter thing is tolerable, but 16K km or a year oil change (5W30) is just typical Ford; always playing the SHORT game.   DI, sans port injection, turbo and Group 2 oil will result in a nasty pile of carbon after 5 years/100K km that the resale will be .... sh*t.  The D3 never look long. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:06 pm »
This oil filter thing is tolerable, but 16K km or a year oil change (5W30) is just typical Ford; always playing the SHORT game.   DI, sans port injection, turbo and Group 2 oil will result in a nasty pile of carbon after 5 years/100K km that the resale will be .... sh*t.  The D3 never look long.

Your oil interval will vary based on usage...16k would likely be in perfect conditions and mostly driveway.

I can usually go 9k in between changes based on my conditions.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 10:49:03 am »
I think the Ranger hits the mark.  It's the right size...if it were any bigger, I'd question why not just get a half-ton.  There has to be some measurable difference in size to make a mid-size worth it.  You want better fuel economy, which is a function of smaller size and lighter weight.  You want it to be easier to maneuver and park, and yet still retain enough functionality to pick up a bedload of items at IKEA, or move an old couch up to the cabin.

I also think the 2.3EB is just fine, too.  Ford is starting to perfect their EB engines (I think the 2.7EB is the best choice in the F-150 as a daily driver), so going with a turbo four cylinder in the Ranger makes perfect sense.  I do think they could have more up-market Ranger with a nicer interior (Platinum Ranger, perhaps) and the 2.7, for those people who want a super-equipped small truck, but don't want to put up with the immense size of the F-150 just to get some massaging seats.

Ford will probably never do this, however, as they won't want to scavenge sales from their half ton.

This Ranger is already a number of years old and I read somewhere it just can't accept a V6 configuration.  That's why they put a 4 cylinder in it.  This is likely why there is no Raptor Ranger.

My guess is a full redesign happens quickly and they fix that issue.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:37 pm »

Yeah, but how many buyers of new cars actually look for long term durability. Most care about the infotainment system and LED headlights......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:16 pm »

Yeah, but how many buyers of new cars actually look for long term durability. Most care about the infotainment system and LED headlights......

The people who suffer will be those who buy on the used market.  New car buyers don't really give a crap.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »

The people who suffer will be those who buy on the used market.  New car buyers don't really give a crap.

Pity, as the old 4L ranger was a durable piece of kit.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2019, 02:40:57 pm »

It's funny, both trucks I've owned have had really long life cycles, so that they were both at the same time relatively unrefined, but also pretty darn bulletproof.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2019, 02:53:22 pm »

It's funny, both trucks I've owned have had really long life cycles, so that they were both at the same time relatively unrefined, but also pretty darn bulletproof.

I don't know if you can call your Tundra "unrefined"....it might not have as many idiot proofing features as the Big 3s trucks, but its not a 1970s Hilux.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2019, 02:55:31 pm »

I don't know if you can call your Tundra "unrefined"....it might not have as many idiot proofing features as the Big 3s trucks, but its not a 1970s Hilux.
LOL...I think you could throw a Hilux off a mountain and it would still run!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »

LOL...I think you could throw a Hilux off a mountain and it would still run!

Oh yeah...but thats because it was as simple, and built better, than a 1950s tractor

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:08 pm »

I'm simply referring to perceived end user value.  Without end user value you get limited first user value.  Here we have Ford doing a full court press against the Taco claiming that every metric of the Ranger is better including perceived resale.  Just another Ford fantasy.  Tacos sell partly because of the actual high residuals attached to those vehicle from day one right thru to year ten and beyond.

However, it's no where near the idiocy of the lastest Chevy "JD Power" based ads where GM now claims, in front of "actual" owners  :rofl2:  that Chevy's for the past 3 years are more reliable that not just Toyota and Honda, but 21 other car brands. What a world.  ;D 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2019, 08:02:24 pm »
Ford is actually trying to say the Ranger will have better resale than the Taco?  Hahaha, that's funny.  How did they come upon this data?  From the previous five years of Ranger sales in North America???

Seriously though, I haven't actually seen them do this.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »

I’ve never had a car past 80k lol

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2019, 08:09:37 pm »

I’ve never had a car past 80k lol

That's because all you drive are Ford's...