Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger  (Read 19208 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2019 Ford Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »
^^And what kind of wannabes buy Tundras then?   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 08:36:25 pm »
^^^well, trucks are tools of sorts, so the kind of person who needs a larger tool?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 09:27:12 pm »
^^^well, trucks are tools of sorts, so the kind of person who needs a larger tool?

Or a truck for a tool?   :run:     :rofl: :rofl2:   ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 11:18:50 pm »
While I like the exterior and can even get past the motor... the interior is just  :hurl:  This thing needs an interior refresh ASAP!!!!

It’s no worse than the Tacoma or Colorado, so it’s at least class competitive...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 11:31:13 pm »
Old timers like Rangers. Nearly every time I see a nice one some old guy's driving it. I've also noticed they hold their value incredibly well and are sought after in the used market (lack of supply I guess?)

This new one looks too much like a baby Ram and the 4cyl only option kinda kills it for me.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 07:32:30 am »

Or a truck for a tool?   :run:     :rofl: :rofl2:   ;D
It depends on how much air they haul in their box  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 08:24:43 am »
I've been seeing Ford Rangers on occasion in Germany, and reading this thread I popped a look onto the Ford website. We only get diesels in Europe (130PS and 160PS inline 4 and a 200PS inline-5) but get a choice of manual or automatic.

https://www.ford.de/nutzfahrzeuge/ford-ranger/design

I think it's sized right for what it's supposed to do: be a utility workhorse. Otherwise as a regular grocery-getter or for jaunts to the city centre, it's on the cumbersome side.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:27:04 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 08:35:15 am »
I've been seeing Ford Rangers on occasion in Germany, and reading this thread I popped a look onto the Ford website. We only get diesels in Europe (130PS and 160PS inline 4 and a 200PS inline-5) but get a choice of manual or automatic.

https://www.ford.de/nutzfahrzeuge/ford-ranger/design

I think it's sized right for what it's supposed to do: be a utility workhorse. Otherwise as a regular grocery-getter or for jaunts to the city centre, it's on the cumbersome side.

Maybe in Europe, but here in North America, where 1/3 of all the vehicles on the road are half tons or bigger, this thing is not cumbersome.  It's sized just right.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:38 am »
While I like the exterior and can even get past the motor... the interior is just  :hurl:  This thing needs an interior refresh ASAP!!!!

It’s no worse than the Tacoma or Colorado, so it’s at least class competitive...

I'm not sure about that one... here's the Colorado interior... looks like less hard plastics around the console

And here's the Tacoma...

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 09:05:09 am »

I'm not sure about that one... here's the Colorado interior... looks like less hard plastics around the console

And here's the Tacoma...

Nope...nope and nope...the GM interior is just a big piece of hard plastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
Does look like Ford has provided an intergrated spot for a trailer brake controller.   :-X

Meant to say DOESN'T   :P

Big oversight
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:17:56 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 09:56:31 am »
https://youtu.be/1AKuJguu_tI

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
I think the Ranger hits the mark.  It's the right size...if it were any bigger, I'd question why not just get a half-ton.  There has to be some measurable difference in size to make a mid-size worth it.  You want better fuel economy, which is a function of smaller size and lighter weight.  You want it to be easier to maneuver and park, and yet still retain enough functionality to pick up a bedload of items at IKEA, or move an old couch up to the cabin.

I also think the 2.3EB is just fine, too.  Ford is starting to perfect their EB engines (I think the 2.7EB is the best choice in the F-150 as a daily driver), so going with a turbo four cylinder in the Ranger makes perfect sense.  I do think they could have more up-market Ranger with a nicer interior (Platinum Ranger, perhaps) and the 2.7, for those people who want a super-equipped small truck, but don't want to put up with the immense size of the F-150 just to get some massaging seats.

Ford will probably never do this, however, as they won't want to scavenge sales from their half ton.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:16:21 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:17 pm »
Ford is starting to perfect their EB engines

While under warranty.  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 11:54:54 pm »
...and who cares. It is a truck. Does it do truck stuff? Good.

I will never understand the demand that your truck must be a Roller inside, an unbeatable Unimog offroad, a semi in pulling power, and a racecar in acceleration. Oh, and all for $39k taxes in.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:56:39 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 10:00:27 am »

I will never understand the demand that your truck must be a Roller inside, an unbeatable Unimog offroad, a semi in pulling power, and a racecar in acceleration. Oh, and all for $39k taxes in.  ::)

Yeah I was hoping for  a more bare-bones truck as a choice. I think the Canyon can be had that way.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 11:09:15 am »

Yeah I was hoping for  a more bare-bones truck as a choice. I think the Canyon can be had that way.

Yup, the main difference though is that 4WD is standard - once you add 4WD to the Canyon, prices end up being very similar.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »

Yup, the main difference though is that 4WD is standard - once you add 4WD to the Canyon, prices end up being very similar.

My point though was that the ford can't be had in a stripped down version.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2018, 07:45:43 pm »

My point though was that the ford can't be had in a stripped down version.

^^And I think that's fine.  I think Ford is targeting the daily-driver segment, rather than the tradesman segment.

Most tradespeople, if they're not buying vans, are buying half-tons as they just have more capacity, and a stripper F-150 can be had for very little money. 

If anybody is buying a Ranger as a daily driver, there is probably a minimum of equipment that is desired, which would be why Ford is offering the Ranger starting at a middle trim. 

I really wonder how many stripper Colorados are sold.  My bet would be not too manyt

BTW, the Tacoma follows a similar strategy.  A base Tacoma SR5 comes pretty well equipped.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 10:58:40 pm »
I really wonder how many stripper Colorados are sold.  My bet would be not too manyt

ZIPPO   Canyons always seem to be fairly flash.