Author Topic: What does safety include when buying a car?  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Albz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai sonata 2015
What does safety include when buying a car?
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »
Hey guys! So i bought a Hyundai sonata 2015 from and 3rd partydealer ship 2 weeks ago with safety and everything.. soo after 2 weeks my car has been acting weird. Seems like my transmission isnt shifting correctly sometimes... sometimes is good and all but sometimes it just seems like it isnt and than out of nowhere it shifts and you can feel it accelerate with a jump.. i noticed it does it more when going an a hill. Not very steap hill though.. i do still have factory warranty from Hyundai but im wondering does the safety from the third party dealer ship i bought include this?? Is it part of the safety agreedment?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: What does safety include when buying a car?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »
Hey guys! So i bought a Hyundai sonata 2015 from and 3rd partydealer ship 2 weeks ago with safety and everything.. soo after 2 weeks my car has been acting weird. Seems like my transmission isnt shifting correctly sometimes... sometimes is good and all but sometimes it just seems like it isnt and than out of nowhere it shifts and you can feel it accelerate with a jump.. i noticed it does it more when going an a hill. Not very steap hill though.. i do still have factory warranty from Hyundai but im wondering does the safety from the third party dealer ship i bought include this?? Is it part of the safety agreedment?

Factory warranty?

Just bring it in....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JoyJonson

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Dodge Caravan 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:27:22 am »
Hello! I would like  to ask you for advice. Three mothes ago I rented a car Dodge Caravan 2012.
So I was satisfied with the experience. I just need to buy a minivan for work. Now I am considering the option of this brand. What do you think?
Thank you

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »
Hello! I would like  to ask you for advice. Three mothes ago I rented a car Dodge Caravan 2012.
So I was satisfied with the experience. I just need to buy a minivan for work. Now I am considering the option of this brand. What do you think?
Thank you

For a work van, Caravans can't be beat.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 02:47:30 pm »

NO, not part of the safety agreement.

You'll need to go to a Hyundai dealer and good luck with that.

Offline Albz

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:54:10 pm »
Update. So i went to Hyundai dealership and they. Check engine and everythinf and its fine but the only tuing is the tires on my car are 10 years old.......so the dealership sold me a car thats 2015 but with 2009 tires...wtf is that all about.... can safetly pass with expired tires???im going to call the dealer i bought my car and complain about this...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:15:37 pm »
"Expired" tires not part of safety.  Just tread depth.

Do a check on the vehicle and see who owned it prior.  Cost $20.  Called sellers package.

Offline Albz

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:40:08 pm »
"Expired" tires not part of safety.  Just tread depth.

Do a check on the vehicle and see who owned it prior.  Cost $20.  Called sellers package.

But even if i call prior seller what is he going to do? Lol. Sucks for me i guess

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 08:56:38 pm »
Sellers Package provides only previous owners names.  No address or phone numbers.  It will give you a map of who owned it.

My guess is that it was an off lease car, had the crap run out of it with no proper maintenance.  Upon lease return the lessee
had to replace the tires to comply with the terms of the lease and they went out a found some cheapo used tires.

The Sonata is a cheap vehicle,  if that transmission fails they will not fix it claiming that it was never properly serviced.

Get rid of it while it's still trade-able. 

Offline Albz

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 09:12:16 pm »
Sellers Package provides only previous owners names.  No address or phone numbers.  It will give you a map of who owned it.

My guess is that it was an off lease car, had the crap run out of it with no proper maintenance.  Upon lease return the lessee
had to replace the tires to comply with the terms of the lease and they went out a found some cheapo used tires.

The Sonata is a cheap vehicle,  if that transmission fails they will not fix it claiming that it was never properly serviced.

Get rid of it while it's still trade-able.

Ive checked the car proof on it and the maintenance has been done regularly on it.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »
Then just get some decent winter tires and be done with it :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 07:34:40 am »
Steve is right... a)transmission isn't really a part of the safety... it drives? It passes. Now, consumer laws say that the car needs to be a certain level of quality/reliability or "fit for intended use"... that use being driving.
B) tired age doesn't matter unless the depth is bad, or they are really cracked. Those would fail, but not just age.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 11:17:00 am »
Even if they don’t look bad, the rubber compound loses pliability over time. Keeping the tires stored in a cool and dry place covered from exposure to UV helps.