Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Volkswagen Golf  (Read 11526 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Volkswagen Golf
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
I was looking at the auto sportwagen awd  since my wife cannot drive a standard. What is your opinion of the auto?

The DSG, which awesome if you are aggressive, is a lumpy, jerky animal in less than all out affairs.  It often feels like a manual transmission that is driven by someone who is new to a clutch. I don't think the Sportwagen has this and is likely better for it in every day driving.

FWIW, a buddy has the Sportwagen and it is really quite nice.

The AWD wagon comes with the DSG, all FWD models have a conventional auto.  My TDI has the DSG and I really really like it.  I find it doesn't exhibit the negative behaviour that Cadure mentioned.  The shifts are quick and smooth and overall it feels like a manual (that knows how to drive).  It's my favourite auto I have driven to date.

The only downside is the $400 service every 60k km.

I’d buy a Mazda 3 over this in a heartbeat.  Just as polished, vastly more reliable, and it looks and feels a class above.

I agree thatthe 3 will most likely be more reliable.  But, my previous Mazdas had little issues that kept cropping up.  Failed rear shocks on the Mazda5 and suspension clunks that kept on returning every 40k km or so.  I've replaced more suspension endlinks that I care to count.  In the end, once past 150k km I felt the reliability of my Mazdas fell off of a cliff. We'll see how my Golf ages.

Seems like suspension clunks are still an issue on the 3 - https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-suspension-handling/71586-suspension-clunk-finally-fixed-future-tsb.html
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2018, 12:57:09 pm »
I moved to the DSG from a BMW with manual.    Loved it.     It just worked for me.  Now it could be fooled.  Fast take off and just as it is in 3rd slam on the brakes, wait 1 second and accelerate again.  Poor old transmission is ready to g to fourth, realizes it has to change both shafts down to 2nd and then has to change up again all in maybe 3 seconds.   That will be a couple of jerky changes.   I never found it anything but smooth in stop and go driving.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2018, 01:32:15 pm »
I second positive experience with VW DSG in my GTI. It's smooth and always in the right gear in normal driving conditions and beyond. No complaints at all and will chose it again over a conventional AT.

I like Mazda's too and I had a first gen Mazda3 which I liked very much, but for the current generation, I would go with the Golf too. For me, the whole car feels better all around with a vast advantage on rear passenger and cargo space and versatility. This is not to say Mazda3 is not a great car, but my personal preference for the current iteration is the Golf. If VW continues to cheapen out the Golf this may change..... but again, I don't quite like the new Mazda3 C-pillar so....

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2018, 01:01:49 pm »
My sister will be looking for a hatchback to buy come the new year. The Golf is an appealing package, even though the MK7 is at the end of its production run.

I drove an Alltrack earlier this year and was quite impressed. I found the DSG very responsive and did not suffer any hesitation during my drive.
Not a lot of AWD wagons or hatchbacks in the marketplace. I have also been looking at a used Mercedes B250. For similar or less money than a FWD Golf you can get one a few years old with 4Matic which is definitely appealing.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »
All that said, the interior of my friend's base '18 wagon was a lot nicer than the interior of the base '17 hatch I rented.

What was the difference?

Leather steering wheel, nicer dash trim, better infotainment.

I think the Tendline had and option package (Convenience I think) which added the leather steering wheel among other things. For 2019, it's seems like it's standard on Comfortline which now is the base trim (I was wrong in an earlier post when I said Comfortline was removed. It's the Trendline which is gone for FY19)

My wagon (2018 Trendline AWD MT) has a leather wheel but that might be a wagon vs hatch packaging thing.

I think the review is pretty spot on. It's a good car with a versatile lineup. I really like mine.

I LOVE the covered backup camera. I know it'll break eventually and I'll happily pay to fix it.
AWD is great - I've had lots of fun with it and I think it'll take a lot to get stuck now.

Fuel efficiency isn't great but isn't awful. My lifetime average has been in the 8 l/100km range, with lots of city driving. Highway trips are like 6.5l/100 km.

If I was buying today I'd be intrigued by the Corolla Hatch (will likely be more reliable and will sip fuel in comparison) but I think the golf is a very competent car.

One thing the car excels at compared to the other cars I've driven in its class is that it's nice and quiet. No droning on the highway, and you can have a conversation at a normal volume. Probably half as loud as my old fit. Japanese cars in particular let a lot of wind noise in the car at higher speeds.

For a new awd vehicle, your car choice is pretty good option. 8.1l is pretty good for the an "AWD" powertrain that does not have the feel of a cvt. I was looking at the auto sportwagen awd  since my wife cannot drive a standard. What is your opinion of the auto?

Reliability is the only unknown. I have never owned a Volkswagen . Some people drive them into the 200k and love them  and some drive them for 30k and hate them. Their reliability must be comparable to say ford or Mazda? Yes I had a Mazda.

AWD,  torque efficient engine , Light weight equals winner in my book. 
also there is  ................ JB4

I have driven tortoise's diesel DSG (which is same as the AWD sportwagen) and I quite liked it. I haven't driven the conventional auto - I was lucky enough to test only manual transmissions when I went shopping.

I don't know about reliability but my parents have a 2013 focus like yours and despite being less reliable than say the Corolla it's been pretty good. I think it's probably a bit more expensive upkeep wise than a Japanese car but I don't think (and really hope!!!) it's not orders of magnitudes higher. I haven't read of many problems with the haldex awd system either. I just rolled over 23000 km and my only issue has been a misaligned front door (which is taking vw forever to fix)

I'd say take one for a drive - comparing it to the focus (which I was in just yesterday) the golf feels more refined. It's also quieter, and there's better room in the back seat. I've never been in an Edge but I'm sure the wagon will perform family duties just as well assuming ground clearance isn't an issue.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:50 pm »
I don't know about reliability...

MY 2009 GTI (with a +1 tune) is DSG and I have had no issues with it to date. Currently at 240,000 kms. I do do the regular DSG changes as required and it gets plenty of WOT driving.

For what it is worth.