Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Volkswagen Golf  (Read 11534 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2018 Volkswagen Golf
« on: December 12, 2018, 06:57:57 am »
A sleeper, not a snooze.
Read more...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Volkswagen Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:53:10 am »
Great little car, will age well inside & out. Will always be my favorite hatch.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:36 am »
Same here... the cabin still has a premium feel to it regardless the trim. Some other cars have very good interiors too, but to me the Golf has something extra.
I noticed some cost cutting measures in this refresh though - minor or unnoticeable for most people but noticeable to me which I'm familiar with the car - the glove box is no longer felt lined nor lockable, the chrome strip on the rear doors inserts has been deleted. nothing major, but showing a trend (present on the 2019 GTI as well).

A bit disappointing is the fact that in this mid-cycle refresh, VW failed to add some needed features like heated rear seats and steering wheel or power outlets for rear passengers (12V or USB).

BTW: A small detail for the review - the model subject to this review is no longer called Highline but Execline. As per vw.ca, Highline is now the mid-trim replacing Comfortline.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:35:34 am »
I don't get why these tests that are published super late in the model year don't acknowledge the upcoming changes, especially when a specific complaint is dealt with. The 1.8T is being replaced with the 1.4T for 2019, which has noticeably better fuel economy.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:55 am »
Great little car, will age well inside & out. Will always be my favorite hatch.

Agreed. It's a simple design with clean lines that IMO doesn't look dull.  And the interior is fantastic, so easy to use with hard buttons  where they are needed.

I noticed some cost cutting measures in this refresh though - minor or unnoticeable for most people but noticeable to me which I'm familiar with the car - the glove box is no longer felt lined nor lockable, the chrome strip on the rear doors inserts has been deleted. nothing major, but showing a trend (present on the 2019 GTI as well).

Add no storage bin under the front seat and sound insulation under the hood to that list.  I also think they removed the battery cover.

That said, you get LED lights, an upgraded infotainment and the option of purchasing an AWD wagon with a manual.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 09:44:24 am »
my first car was a '78 VW Rabbit (sold as a Golf elsewhere in the world)...these always have a special place in my heart...a practical car, nicely featured with good driving dynamics (in the class) and efficient to run.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:55:20 am »
Same here... the cabin still has a premium feel to it regardless the trim. Some other cars have very good interiors too, but to me the Golf has something extra.

A bit disappointing is the fact that in this mid-cycle refresh, VW failed to add some needed features like heated rear seats and steering wheel or power outlets for rear passengers (12V or USB).

For sure, you can get a heated steering wheel in Europe a la carte (135€). But I think due to the US market not demanding it, the Canadians get shafted. Adds production and supplier complexity and cost. There's some cheaper bits to the North American Golf.

I don't think any vehicle in this class offers heated rear seats. Indeed, rear vents are already pretty unusual.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:10 am »

For sure, you can get a heated steering wheel in Europe a la carte (135€). But I think due to the US market not demanding it, the Canadians get shafted. Adds production and supplier complexity and cost. There's some cheaper bits to the North American Golf.

I don't think any vehicle in this class offers heated rear seats. Indeed, rear vents are already pretty unusual.

^^Elantra does.  Elantra also has heated steering wheel. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 10:06:47 am »

i was going to say something similar...the Forte does as well (sister car) in the top two trims (EX Luxury at $25,195 or SX at $29,895)...as well, the base Rio subcompact has heated steering wheel and heated front seats standard, at $14,795 (heated rears are not an option on the Rio, though).

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 10:08:13 am »

i was going to say something similar...the Forte does as well (sister car) in the top two trims (EX Luxury at $25,195 or SX at $29,895)...as well, the base Rio subcompact has heated steering wheel and heated front seats standard, at $14,795 (heated rears are not an option on the Rio, though).

Features and packaging is something Hyundai/Kia has been doing very well for a long time now.  That being said, I still think the Golf would be an overall better experience, especially as a driver's car.

I have always liked the Golf, and if I was looking for a compact hatch, it would likely be at the top of my list.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 10:09:55 am »

I'm not sure the US has anything to do with it, or at least not much. US and Canadian Golf packaging is very different. The Canadian Golf offers leather sport seats, for example, which aren't offered in the U.S.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 10:29:53 am »

Add no storage bin under the front seat and sound insulation under the hood to that list.  I also think they removed the battery cover.

That said, you get LED lights, an upgraded infotainment and the option of purchasing an AWD wagon with a manual.

Yes the under seat bin is gone too but I wasn't sure if the regular Golf had it or not. I think the bin disappeared from the GTI even before the refresh - as early as 2017 I believe. My '16 GTI still has it and it's being used. There are similar cost cuts in the GTI as well unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:07:11 pm by carcrazy »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 10:30:42 am »
The bin was never available on the top trim because it couldn't fit under the power seats.  Admittedly, mine is empty most of the time.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 10:34:53 am »
All that said, the interior of my friend's base '18 wagon was a lot nicer than the interior of the base '17 hatch I rented.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:16 am »

Features and packaging is something Hyundai/Kia has been doing very well for a long time now.  That being said, I still think the Golf would be an overall better experience, especially as a driver's car.

I have always liked the Golf, and if I was looking for a compact hatch, it would likely be at the top of my list.

I agree.  This would be at the top of my list for a car just for me....although I might spring for a GTI.  I really don't like the image a BMW would project in my current career....so this would get me European feel without the badge (and hopefully less FGC problems).

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 10:37:01 am »
All that said, the interior of my friend's base '18 wagon was a lot nicer than the interior of the base '17 hatch I rented.

What was the difference?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:19 am »

What was the difference?

Leather steering wheel, nicer dash trim, better infotainment.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 10:55:24 am »
Yeah, the base wheel is pretty bleh.

I prefer the silver trim to the dark grey on the 18, but that's a matter of taste.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 12:14:47 pm »

The Civic also offers heated rear seats and remote starter, but no heated steering wheel.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

What was the difference?

Leather steering wheel, nicer dash trim, better infotainment.

I think the Tendline had and option package (Convenience I think) which added the leather steering wheel among other things. For 2019, it's seems like it's standard on Comfortline which now is the base trim (I was wrong in an earlier post when I said Comfortline was removed. It's the Trendline which is gone for FY19)